1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Health Anxiety

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Starkgirl, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

After the death of both of my parents within a short span of time I am suffering from lot of health anxiety. I lost my mom 4 years back and recently few months back I lost my dad too....lot of things happened in between these times ...because of my constant stress I developed few health issues like allergies and early stage rheumatoid arthritis now I kind of feel I won't survive long enough with all these issues.
    I don't know how to put it in words but anxiety is so huge that it is impacting my day to day life.
    My mom was sick when she passed away but dad was fit and fine and he passed away because of massive cardiac arrest.
    I heard so many stories where people telling me dad had covid and that is what triggered his heart attack so now even bit of cough and cold trigger so much anxiety in me.
    Especially concerning my husband ...I feel I don't have any strength to survive another loss , that something awful is waiting just around the corner...
    From.last one week my husband is down with flu like symptoms , doctor has said it is normal viral Infection but he is very tired all the time ....I keep thinking what if it is covid? Will he die like dad ? What can I do to stop it
    I don't know if I make sense anymore ...I am going for therapy as well as taking medication for my anxiety but there are days where I feel nothing works

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I had anxiety issues and ended up seeing a therapist who did many exercises with me to overcome anxiety. I paid out of pocket . When going to therapist it is important to do all the homework . you need to be honest and spend some time to do the work they assign. You need someone to understand your fears and provide you with tools to overcome . I have good and bad days but I keep a log of the days to figure out the cues or triggers which caused it. I discuss with my therapist and we go over whys and whats. Sometimes we found answers sometimes we didn't. I'm still work in progress and I wonder if I ever will go back to my normal self. But there is always hope. How do you feel after therapy session ? Do you think your therapist is helping you ? It is important to find someone who can help you overcome this over a period of time. I took medication only during flying since I'm claustrophobic. Do you feel better after taking medication ?

Laks09 likes this.
  3. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Sorry about your losses. I was in the same boat like you almost 18 months back. I think covid was the culprit, it slowly started in 2020 and it got advantage on me in 2021 may - july. I used to think I got covid for a small cold, cough and wheezing. For chest pain I used to think that, I will get heart attack. I have been to doctor for each issue thinking it as an emergency.

I moved to my hometown during hometown due to lockdown which made me change a lot.

Think in below ways:
    • there are people older than us who are strong and healthy. When they live healthy at 60,70 and 80 , why we cant live. ( My husband grandma was 90, I saw her at hometown).
    • And if you do not have major health issues, there is absolutely no reason to worry about health.
    • Now a days, we dont see covid much, and if you are vaccinated no need to worry about it.
    • Whenever anxiety hit me, I will forcefully change my mind to tv,mobile or something. and I will play with my kids.
    • I strongly felt, I should not be a wrong roll model to my kids, they shouldnt think mumma is always afraid of something. So I will change myself infront of them, it became a practice over a period of time.
    • To keep your heart healthy, we need to be healthy and maintain body with exercise, so spend time for that.
    • When I feel sad, I will sit and draw.
    • Moreover, death is uncertain to anyone, but if we keep worrying about it, nothing will change it. lets live each moment usefully. Any situation or crisis, we can handle when it comes to us actually, thinking each moment about it before even it comes, is a waste of time and stress to ourself.
    • Strongly believe in god, put uncertainities to him and stop thinking about it.
    Hope it helps.

shyamala1234 and Laks09 like this.
  4. MadhuRK

MadhuRK Silver IL'ite

Hi @Starkgirl

I'm sorry you are going through a lot of issues. This is not by any means an attempt to dismiss your concerns, but many of our illnesses are psychosomatic and respond positively to getting a healthy dose of physical exercise also (apart from therapy, medications etc).

Have you considered getting a regular exercise schedule ? or a martial arts class or even a regular walking/hiking buddy.

Laks09 likes this.
  5. Katli

Katli New IL'ite

Hi,

How do you feel now?

I am in similar situation.

6. aparnareplies

aparnareplies New IL'ite

I used to worry a lot about myself and my immediate family's health all the time. Even if I get a headache or my kids have a fever I would imagine that extreme bad might happen and be worried and sad. Below things helped me a lot to overcome the anxiety/fear..I wouldn't say I am 100% fine now, but a lot better than before
    * Stop googling for symptoms
    * I started doing pranayama and yoga and it helped to keep myself calm. I also made exercise part of my routine
    * I am a spiritual person and I turn to Hanuman Chalisa, Sashti kavasam and other slokas when I feel down and worried
    * I recently read this book called 5 second rule by Mel Robbins, where in you can trick your brain to stop thinking negative on a count of 5. It works pretty well for me
    * I do an affirmation before I go to sleep every night that I am healthy and my family is healthy and I am grateful for that
    Hope this helps!

meepre, Katli and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. Katli

Katli New IL'ite

Thank you so much for these inputs. I started with pranayama and yoga but it hasn't helped me fully. Anxiety keeps coming up unexpectedly wrecking my sleep and life. I'm in therapy also. But hormones are playing an ugly role in this as I'm 40 now and my mind, body or life are not the same as before.
    I should give myself time I guess.
    I miss spirituality. I lost the little faith I had when my parents got sick one after another and then a few horrible things happened in my life.
    Thank you for the book suggestion. Let me get hold of it. I was wondering if I should get "The Power of Now".

8. Neelima01

Neelima01 Senior IL'ite

Try paper rebreathing methods it will help too

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Go out for a walk outside in a park. See people around you. Sit on a banch and chant your favourite sloka. You would calm down.
    Syamala