1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Evil Eyes... Is It Even True?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Jun 29, 2022.

1. lakshmi888

lakshmi888 Silver IL'ite

@SGBV —-I like many others have had a very very tough life with tons of struggles and mishaps but faith in good karma and God has seen me through .. that’s what I meant that I too have had so many mishaps n I did not attribute it to evil eye but if someone intended bad for me, they would have gotten karma as God answers prayers of people who are pure heart and who do good karma as he can see what’s in anyone’s heart )

You and other poster aren’t the only ones with mishaps in life …,

I have had immense mishaps - car accident in west , cheating in marriage, divorce struggles with so much loss of money in divorce , loss of jobs, loss of money, emergency room Visits ALONE in a foreign country , came from ER all alone and managed all alone , that I had to handle on my own , that too, as a single woman ..

( try driving a car in the west all alone when you are struggling to breathe for hours to go to nearest urgent care - you don’t know me @SGBV To imply that my life has been a path of roses ).. when I reached Doctors, doctors said my condition was so serious that they had to give immediate strong injection to me on an urgency basis so I could breathe properly !!.. STILL came back driving my car to my home when breathing got 10 percent better !!! N then went to pharmacy to get medicines even when I was struggling to breathe !!!!

in another incident, had injury on leg for which doc had to give local anasthesia for injury on leg and doctor did minor surgery and after few hours, I STILL drove my car back to my home which was at least an hour drive..

In another cases, took cab to admit myself to ER and came back after many hours of admission in ER and took taxi to get food and medicines and managed all alone to recover even when my hand and leg had turned blue and was hurting for days !!!

So @SGBV stop implying that my life has had no mishaps…

But God Helped me every time to rise from
    Ashes like a Phoenix …

I don’t do any special prayers but I just pray in my mind to my God to help me or give me justice if anyone did bad …

But you know what helped me always to get back to good health and rise from
    Ashes was my good karma and that I prayed to God everytime to help me and to give me justice every time someone did bad and I have observed God answers my prayers every time and anyone who did bad or intended bad for me I have seen them suffer by my old age as God answers prayers of good people who are pure at heart !!!…

KARMA is real but God is very selective in whose prayers he answers as he can see persons soul and I can proudly say that God has helped me EVERY single time otherwise I would have been dead long back after serious problems and some people who tried to do bad to me but I have seen karma acting and seen those people who did bad to me suffer …

I always prayed to God to give the justice … my ex father in law who cheated me and my parents and kept all our gold given by my parents in my marriage from their lifelong hard earned money got brain STRoKE and half side of the body paralyzed ..I wonder what use is my gold to him now with paralyzed body … was cheating worth getting paralysis

my ex sent email asking me for forgiveness .. don’t know what he must have been going through due to karma being delivered by God..

today I am proud to say God and KArma lords answer prayers of people good at heart as they can see a persons soul no matter what a person might pretend to be

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear @lakshmi888

This thread does not discuss about mishaps in life. Everyone has his/her share of problems so do I.

Like many believer, i too depend on God and wait for his protection. And i am so proud that i have always been protected by God. That's why i am here hale & hearty with a successful life.

But, point here is not about problems, but about the pattern in which the problems come.

Thyagarajan and nandinimithun like this.
  3. daisy1234

daisy1234 Silver IL'ite

Exactly! I truly believe in god and all my life’s blessings are attributed to the power above us!

But the pattern is so evident! Few years back, we landed in Cancun and I sent pics of my kids in the entrance of the beautiful resort as soon as we reached to tell them we landed (since they were the people on the same time zone) , only to his siblings group not even my own parents and believe it or not ( it may sound so unreal) and with in minutes my younger one fell on a huge metal coffee table sharp side and cut his eyes and was bleeding all over the room, bedsheets, bathrooms and had to take him in an ambulance to the ER and they charged us whooping 15k for an outpatient surgery to do a surgical procedure which can be done only by plastic surgeons since the cut was so close near the eye and cannot be stitched using usual methods! We had an option to airlift him back to US or stay put and do it in Mexico! Imagine the trauma and this happened within hours of landing and he was less than 2 years and both me and husband were crying and desperate and also had an interpreter to talk for us to the hospital to admit him cos they refused to take the bleeding kid unless we pay the half amount upfront! When I look back, I still get jitters with the blood stained dresses and spending that night in an ER in an unknown country where we don’t speak the same language! I blame myself for being such a naive idiot and my kids suffered because of me!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    SGBV and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

This is true in all walks of life. It is more so when one goes through the statement of celebrities viz Steve jobs . Nothing in person per se.

I consider this as a very befitting feedback that embellishes this thread.

Thanks & Regards.

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Upon promotion to a higher rank i was posted in a prestigious research institution with all fringe benefits.

A family X from native place happen to visit me in my new place of residence. Looking at the palatial quarter and a car with driver coming to pick me up to office, mrs x made a statement. “ what a fantastic rise in status. You have done exceedingly well”. The same x had been visiting my parents when i was a bouin school. The butter that was transforming into ghee and she exclaimed: “ what a lovely fragrance”. My mother could not believe that hot container of ghee would fall off. Her legs got scalded.
    I was wary of her statement just before leaving for my office only afew kms away from home. The driver negotiated a turn but it dashed against a tree engine tappets still hitting.

Next day, i had work in a magistrate court. It was peak monsoon. In pouring rain, my spectacles slipped off my ears into knee deep flowing water. I tried to trace the spectacles in running water.

Mary * arrived from nowhere, pulled me off to safety from the line of bullets that were aimed to kill a criminal turned approver alighting from police van. I was saved by skin of my teeth.
    Bad Nazar of X - Dominant thought at that moment.

Could It May Be Virgin Mother Mary

6. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I am coming at this from the opposite end. In the past, my appreciation and warm wishes have been misunderstood for this reason and you cannot imagine how hurtful that is! I
    was brought up to be polite, say nice things and taught that a good friend/guest appreciates the host/hostess/arrangements especially when it’s obvious they have gone out of their way to make an effort.
    Perhaps my fault is a knack to state the obvious? I don’t know. A couple of instances occurred when I was sincerely appreciating the hostess who had obviously made an effort at her gathering, some random woman came and interrupted or called out loudly - “di, make sure you make your mom/mil take your dhrishti today after we all leave!” And said hostess will nod gravely. I would be shocked into silence mid-sentence and hostess would move on as if nothing happened. That is when I even realized this hostess and random person think like this and subscribe to such beliefs! Do you know how rude that is? How hurtful that feels?
    These are not illiterate village women from my mother’s or granny’s generation these are young, modern, educated women of my generation or younger holding down jobs and raising kids in the 21st century. So yeah it was shocking to me! Once I realized this is their way of thinking I distanced myself from them. I used to feel really bad and even wondered, why dress up/show off expensive car etc then if you don’t want people to say wow great? Can’t win eh? Accused of jealousy if we keep silent and of casting dhrishti if we appreciate… what the hell!
    I read some replies in this thread that people actually avoid upgrading cars or essential purchases for fear of Dhrishti… I feel sorry for such people. This is really no way to lead your life! You are imposing an unnecessary restriction on yourself! This is more about your anxiety and desire to control everything in your lives than about the other family/person! This is a psychological feeling you are having. What happened is a coincidence! So just accept that and leave it! Once the thought gets stuck in your head that there’s a connection then your mind will selectively pick only the bad incidences to strengthen the narrative. So if you @SGBV feel there is a pattern in which these things happen, it is because your mind is creating that pattern. Nothing more, nothing less. Have you considered that possibility?

Just because two different unrelated things happen in quick succession does NOT mean they are related or there is a pattern. Did you know even the ancients talk about this? The phenomenon is called ‘Kakataliya’ and an entire treatise, The Yoga Vasishtha, has been devoted to analysing it! You may Google it!

One way to come out of this feeling that the universe/someone is out to get you is to maintain a diary. Note down ALL THE EVENTS as or before they are occurring like a daily log. And be honest. After a month or so compare your memory recall to what you wrote down as it occurred. The mind’s tendency to cherry-pick will become clear. In reality, you will find that according to the laws of nature some good and some bad outcomes happened and both occurred randomly or equally and not subject to one person or other!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is exactly what made me believe on this superstition which I have never believed before. In fact, I had my shares of goods & bads in life and never bothered about any external force in the past. Especially, I had gone through a lot in my marriage a decade back, and there were days, rather years in which I never experienced any good, but only bads in life. But they did not make me believe in evil eyes or any other superstitions.

But, the last couple of years are different. That's why I started recording everything in a vlog. The happiness, the success, the meetings & party with family/friends and the details of the bad outcomes that follow later.
    Just daily vlogs, and saved them in google photos.
    When I go back to these vlogs, I see a clear pattern of incidents each time. Remember, not once, but many times in the past couple of years.

If you had read my OP or the following responses above, you would have seen the pattern. Especially, after sharing our happiness with a certain family.
    I did the trick, and played the devils advocate to clear the odds. I did share the news with ONLY those who really close with us.
    I did share the news in batches, so not everyone gets the news at one go.

It is like this....

Incident 1:
    Week 1: I get a promotion. A good news, and hence we are so excited.
    Week 1: Inform this happy news to aunty A & family - Nothing happens for the week.
    Week 2: Inform the news to aunty B & family - Nothing happens
    Week 3: Inform the news to aunty C & family - The next day I fall sick and it is huge.

Incident 2:
    Week 1: My kid pass a country wide examination in top grade. We are supper proud about this
    Week 1: Inform the news to aunty C - The kid falls sick the same day
    Week 2, 3, & 4 doesn't matter because others get to know the sickness first & then the happy news. The kid loses the party & the chance to receive the award from the national function due to sickness.

Incident 3:
    Week 1: My DD gets a modeling chance & features as a child model in an TV ad. We are super excited.
    Week 2: Aunty A is informed. Aunty B also gets to know this from another source - nothing happens
    Week 3 - Aunty C gets this news & congratulates. From the next week onwards the kid gets a skin infection & Dr advices us to shave her head. All the upcoming modeling changes are gone

These are just a few examples of what we went through while we were in Sri Lanka. I started to believe in this only after giving a thorough analysis of the patterns.

Goods & bad happens, and they can be mere coincidence in life. But this patterns make me wonder whether there is anything behind. Questions arise as to why it is not the reverse... a bad thing first, and then a good thing. Or a bad thing after several months from a good thing, or anything in random.
    Because that's how life was before. Bad & good things happen, randomly and none had connections & that too continuously to call it a pattern. That's how life is for many, including me in the past. Hence I never believed in these superstitions & teased mom for doing remedies as a precaution.
    But now, it is different :)

Not every good wish or a genuine liking becomes evil. The usual practice of not wishing someone or not saying a word fearing evil is NOT RIGHT. It needs analysis.
    As I told you before, I used to share my happy news with 5K followers in my FB page, and nothing happens.

I remember this:
    When I was so down, bankrupted a decade before and was hopeless about life, one of my H's uncles wished me good luck. He told me "one day you will overcome all this, and have everything... a house, car, job, savings, and a happy life with your family" and you will lead a proud life before your family that is insulting you today"
    His words not just soothed me that time, but all his words came true in the coming years. I still remember his words, and cherish them.

Several years ago... When I dreamed of joining UN, but it all seemed only a dream for a normal, middle class girl like me, my driver told me " Why can't you get there? Those people who work for the UN were also normal people before joining the UN system. You try, and you will get there."
    I took his word as encouragement when everyone else was asking me to apply for government jobs. Within a year I was enrolled to the UN system and there was no going back. I still remember his word of encouragement.

Like wise, we are surrounded by 90% of good things and good people, but just a very few evils. It is just the matter of cherry picking the evils, and eliminating them from our lives.