Staying Focused To Study

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Vedhavalli, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I'm unable to stay focused for more than 15 minutes, I have to study to secure a job.
    For certification and updating myself thru Courseera etc.
    How do I stay focused and clear my certification?
    I tried small goal setting , set a particular time window...nothing works.
    My mind keeps playing games and I tend to think what to cook, laundry, cleaning up, or scroll thru social media etc.
    I tried affirmations...
    I'm in early 30s with thyroid disfunction. Doc says it's due to thyroid. Also I have set of family problems back home.
    I need help to stay focused and study.
    Suggestions will help me..

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Don’t have any suggestions but I want to stay focused as well. So following the thread

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

There is a method called kaizen method.

I did that and it worked very well for me

first 10 days I studied only for 5 mts
    Next 10 days increased time to 10 mts..like as in morning 5 mts and evening 5 mts

like that increase time

second thing is you can get up early in the morning atleast by 5..mind is so clear and you learn more and it retains

just make that effort:

start very small.

“Small drops make an ocean”

good luck dear

Vedhavalli likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Vedhavalli

I am not a physician and hence don't take this as a diagnosis. I feel it could be ADHD when you have difficulty focusing on anything for a prolonged period of time. You may need physician's help to overcome this. You have to work on concentration techniques and some of them are a) eliminating distraction, b) reduce mutlitasking, c)practice mindfulness and meditation, d)get more sleep, e)take a short break, f)connect with nature, and g)do more physical activity. Simple things like doing monotonous activities improves concentration. It could be any hobby like painting, embroidery, drawing, etc.

Thyagarajan and chanchitra like this.
  5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Sorry, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

With all due respect sir, I would cut out the underlined line from your message and everything is perfect.

In today's day and age, a lot of people go through difficulty in focusing because we are consuming short bites of instant gratification. Watching a youtube short instead of a 3 hour documentary. Reading whatsapp, indusladies and facebook messages instead of a 500 pages book. We have trained ourselves to focus less.

Like anything focus also increasing and decreases with practice.

ADHD is a severe medical condition and should not be thrown in loosely in general suggestions. Its a big hammer to throw right off the bat.

Americans love to label people. The world will be a better place is labelling is not done.

6. Viswamitra

I have understood your concern and respect it. I didn't mean to label OP's lack of focus problem as ADHD. I teach the children (including teens) how to improve attention span, avoid multi tasking and included those suggestions in my write up. I hope and pray @Vedhavalli is able to succeed in her endeavor. Thank you for sharing your concern. But is it fair to label the whole country as people who love to label others?

Note: I didn't know ADHD is a severe medical condition. I have noticed in real life some people suffering from ADHD. They definitely think faster and they can process more thoughts simultaneously.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    chanchitra and Thoughtful like this.
  7. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Sir, I am humbled by your response and appreciate it. You set an example whenever appropriate.

Everything was perfect, but for the underlined sentence above :) I believe it was a rhetorical question and leave it unanswered!

Regards

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

I agree I can’t meet your standards of perfection. Let your belief that the question is rhetorical remain as is.

9. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Well, now you are being sarcastic. I am sorry if anything I said upset you. I will leave it at this as this is discussion is going to the zone of not being useful to anyone.

10. Viswamitra

I am not upset. There is no need for apologies. I agree this discussion is not useful. First you said I am labeling on underlined comment. Second you said I am imperfect on underlined comment and called that comment rhetoric. Now you call me sarcastic. My request to you is to make your comments more friendlier than imposing your opinions, if possible? It is just a request. I have already clarified my position in my first response to you and that should have been the end of it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    Thoughtful likes this.