1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Philosophy

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Jun 18, 2022.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Happiness has become a competition..
    Suffering has become a competition..

If you say you are having a tough life,the other person claims he or she has it tougher.Indirectly they mean that they are “working harder” in life

If you share your happiness ,the other person tries to ruin your thunder by overshadowing it..

Life has become a competition and constant comparison.What is the need? Do we check ourself when time to time we also do the above? Why does the EGO get triggered so much? Are we addressing our insecurities and turning inward to eradicate it?

Are we really happy? True success is not having the best of things and status but having a mind which is at peace.

Diverting is only a temporary solution but being blissed out even when doing nothing is the best feeling.

Lack of comparisons ,doing only what we really want,finding contentment,being flexible to changes of life and adapting accordingly,finding happiness with our reality,channeling your desires the right way goes a long way in being happy.

Even then the world will try to rip you apart coz honestly many people do not like seeing others truly happy.One need not share their happiness with others to “look” successful but be your own judge.Self awareness is the best way.

The positive quotes in google might motivate but always take it with a pinch of salt.It is all man made and sometimes it is toxic positivity.”Never give up”,” your best is not best enough” all these sounds great but do not blindly get influenced coz if one does not achieve their goals in time,it might even lead to depression.

There is nothing called failure or success.Everything is a perception and life is just a game.Learn the game,enjoy and play it without tracking the end goal.

Society is just an illusion.Me,him,her,this neighbor..all together make a society.What is the need to prove to others that we are awesome.Never put anyone in a pedestal not put yourself in a pedestal.

If someone has achieved something..great.It is what they want.The tears and pain behind that is the “sacrifice” they made to get what they wanted.One needs to walk through the fire if that is what they need.They are just working for their dreams. That’s all.It never indicates they are better or one is lesser.We all have our personal dreams and we need to understand what we are ready to sacrifice and what not and just stick to it.Even a small cooking which is appreciated by our family is still an acehievment.Never underestimate yourself.

More importantly..No matter what others say or do..it is only you who knows the real you!you live with yourself and not them.So every time ask yourself “ Why should we get bothered by the comments of someone who just met me one hour? Why am I not believing myself coz am the only one who knows me completely and is with me all the time”

People die any moment.I personally know of 4 or 5 people who passed away before 40! Extremely sad but all that career,money,status,friendships did not save his or her life.We are not better than Mother Nature.Stay humble.

Marketing and consumerism.Social media influences society.Period.They sell products indirectly hinting that buying them would make your more prettier or happier.Does it? Many end up overspending,getting into debt and losing their health.Be smart and don’t fall prey to the marketing gimmicks.

Some People feel just coz they earn more or they are very pretty or they have worked very hard..they deserve the best of relationships,best happiness.All that hardwork will buy a million dollar mansion,a Tesla or a merc but not happiness.Happiness is a state of mind.Money buys comfort but not happiness.Yeah true it is comfortable to cry in a Ferrari but that person is still crying and stressed.

Working hard for what we really want is happiness and passion.Working hard without the love for it is stress.

Every problem has a solution.Take calculated risks and how we perceive the problem and handle it takes care of most of the problem.

Relationships are one thing but stay detached.People come and go.friendships come and go. People will help if they will and people won’t if they don’t want to.period.Never be a people pleaser. We come alone and will die alone.Be detached and have less expectations from anyone.

More than identity,one needs to have humanity.

Life is unfair and certainly some people have advantages over others but so do you in many other ways.People would love to have your life when you are trying to live the life of the other.Grass is greener on the other side.

True independence is being content,debt free and not blindly being a slave to desires and others opinions.We control the mind.Not the other way around.

Have a goal in life.It could be anything but have a goal.Everyday work towards it.It gives a state of contentment and fulfillment.If your goal is to be happy..even better! Do things that make you happy everyday.

Celebrate your life! Most importantly..Celebrate yourself! You are deserving and just beautiful the way you are.Love and self care is very important.You are unique and there is nobody in this world who is like you.

Life is how we make it!Be honest to yourself and life for yourself.Life is too short to live according to the society perceptions.Be you.

In the words of Shakespeare..”The world’s a stage and we are all actors and actresses”.

Nobody is getting out of here alive. Let’s be self aware and pave the way for bliss.

Signing off..philosophical me :)
    Peace and love to all!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    ashima10, messedup, Laks09 and 4 others like this.

2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Nice positive and thought provoking post for a Sunday read!

Like this transformed "Anika Ma" :)

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anika 987.
    It is indeed a nice snippet dealing
    with 'comparisons and the outcome thereof'.

There is comparison in life in every day experience.
    Each one thinks one should perform better than others.
    It is an innate human challenge.
    Arjuna and Karna were being "compared". Bhima and Duryodhana were too.
    Comparisons were basic to the system of marriage by "choice" in Swayamvara marriages, where the bride chooses a person from an assembly of those offering themselves to be considered by the bride-to-be.

All our competitive exams and tests are basically comparisons. Who comes first, second, etc.,

When all persons cannot be equal, comparisons will be inevitable consequence.

Kalidasa is known for aptest comparisons in his works: Upamaa Kalidasasya ..So too Bhaaravi for the profound expression (Arththa Gauravam)...Here we compare the poets.
    Upamaa Kaalidasasya,
    Bharaverartha Gauram,
    Dandinah Pada Laalityam,
    Maaghe santhi trayo Gunaahaa''
    When there was some degradation in Maahagha's life
    this small poem gave an uplift to him.

Some persons or their attributes are however beyond comparisons. It is said that sky can be compared only with sky, no other object, so too the war between Rama and Ravana - not comparable

gaganam gaganAkAram sAgaraha sAgarOpamaha
    rAmarAvaNayOr yudhDHam rAmarAvaNayOr iva ||

You cannot compare the Sky to anything, as it one of a kind; You cannot compare an Ocean to anything as there is no other thing like it. Similarly, you cannot compare the battle between Rama and Ravana with anything else – It is matchless, unsurpassed and beyond compare.

Therefore we cannot do away with comparisons,
    which is a must in the society. You have to stay
    with comparisons,not being affected by it.
    No amount of knowledge in psychology or Philosophy
    can make you run away from comparison.
    At the most we will develop an attitude to
    live for ourselves
    talking about peace and happiness;
    It may land us nowhere finally.Pwerhaps
    it may lead to self contempt later.
    Jayasala 42

ashima10, anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am a happy person. I am truly happy about the way I look, what I do, what I have and everything.
    I do not pay attention to what other people say about me. As long a what I do is legally & morally correct, I am happy doing it.

Yesterday, I cut my hair short. It looked very good on me. It even changed the way I look, and gave me a much younger face. I am happy about it.
    Thankfully my H is on my side most of the times. He liked it.

Then came home, and there my mom started blabbering..

My problem is my mother who lives with me and shadow me in everything. She is worried about what others think, say, etc....
    she compares our lives with that of others all the time. I know she does everything out of concern. She truly loves me. But why are we beating ourselves harsh on other's opinion?
    At the end of the day, it is US who are here for US.

Such people are not happy themselves, and they won't make others around them happy either.

Nevertheless, I am learning not to get too much influenced with her words, but live my life according to my taste. If possible I will teach her the art of being happy. Happiness comes from within, and not from external factors.

Now a days, I don't have any goals in life... This is the stress factor.

I take life as it comes, and the purpose is to enjoy everyday as possible & make memories :)

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Love the last line. Well said

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

:)

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So true. I am amazed at the number of people who don't know this simple rule: when someone is sharing a happiness or sorrow, let them have the limelight for a bit, don't immediately bring up a similar story from your life or lives of those you know. Listen to what the other person has to say. Listen.

Again, so true. Facebook and whatsapp only tell the beautiful moments. Often, only when we meet in person and talk more freely, the real struggles and challenges they faced come to light.

I am seriously beginning to have a girl crush on you and the wisdom in this post.
    Each person's dreams, ability and willingness to sacrifice are different. Know those and stick to it.

This. Relationship, friendships come and go. So do problems. So do achievements.

Me too. : )

8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Rihanna:)

Rihana likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@anika987 kudos to your “philosophy” which is a thought provoking and even eye-opener for your followers. Some of it echoes ideas of scottyoung. He talks of independence how it can be lost if we depend on others. For Every idea of our own, if there is a need to get it filtered through others’ eyes then life could femain miserable and monotonous.

Years back I happened to be in a friend’s home. A friend of his during his consecutive visits was boasting about his ideas and different unique views, investment styles etc and used to talk egoistically. He would bring every topic that is addressed to him to his own situations and boast about how he dealt with it and was often mentioning his elder boy achievement in canada earning lac $ per month & his younger son in Singapore heading a huge division of foreign bank etc.

My friend and his spouse being middle class and their children -though graduated yet unemployed could not tolerate the other man’s boasting.

Friend’s wife sensed the subtle insinuation, reacted to that boasting man in my presence that “we are content with whatever little we have and not interested to compare our status with other big achievers and i wish you stop boasting about your family and yourself. Unless we solicit, for heavens sake, don’t on your own proclaim your achievements here. It makes my boys suffer inferiority complex”.

My friend & I were stunned with her plain sharp blunt averments.

Faceless four in any society always exist who are bound to speak at variance and the middle class (MC) is ever scared of them. They presume or assume that they cannot progress economically and can not do well by shrugging of those unsaid comments from faceless four.

It looks like that this class would live their life eternally only for the sake of faceless four ( FF) . The basis of this situation stems out of their constant enigmatic fear of being isolated in future, banished from society and their current weak economic status.

MC thinks they may need FF help at bad or worse times and so they align their mind CONSTANTLY to those probable negative statements from FF. Someone from FF may their to lend them money. Those who seek or ready to give their girl in marriage , would never decide without discussing with FF. It is possible to ignore FF?

For those affluent class of people anything comes easy by throwing away their money: unlike middle class, they have no fear of getting isolated or excommunicated.

In offices one can see equal status employees easily isolate those staff working under them. They can’t isolate their superiors.

Middle class need their relatives. That is their only strength.

My friend’s son was unable to convince his beloved parents for marrying his lady-love because parents with other family decades ago decided of his marriage when he was a toddler.

One day all his relatives gathered en-mass at his home and categorically told him that if he is going ahead with marriage with the girl he loves, then he should forget them all and they will sever their relationship with him & his parents; and he would not get any share of parents estate, the wealth and savings. With that That boy’s dreams and talents crushed.

Man is a social animal - said Aristotle . When men & women deviates from so called societal standards, it is natural for society to criticise them. They will have to go with societal pressure, maintain social discipline and such other norms lest they will have to face ridicule, isolation and other forms of punishment.

The Law too will take its own course.

Beetles and weevils get attracted by light would go into it and die. Few of it go deviated from the group and tried to fly in the sky to reach for the moon-light. It ignored those four of its tribe that warned of dangers flying high but those few ignored and had a good time flying at high altitudes and though could never reach their goal yet lived long.

It is ok for insect. Is it alright for man to ignore society? I am in dilemma!

anika987 and ashima10 like this.
  10. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

What a lovely Post @anika987 , where do you get so much clean and pure thoughts from :)
    More power to you for this lovely snippets and other beautiful threads you have put in here :)

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.