1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Other Side Of Religion

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, May 30, 2022.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

The Other Side of Religion

The Roman Empire is known for slavery, brutality, ethnic cleansing, and violence and yet is considered the most powerful one. Does it mean that the poor and downtrodden have no choice but to turn to religion? This is prompted by the following lines in Quora Digest.
    “There is the reason why Christianity was popular among slaves and the poor because it gave them something no other religion did and that is compassion and hope for the better future be it in this life or the afterlife.”
    An answer in Quora on Roman Empire.
    As I know, our scriptures tell us so. Karma of this life will be rewarded in the next life. A vast majority of poor people believe in that and get exploited by the preachers who can in no way be called poor. This is like hanging a carrot at a viewing distance or hanging green grass with a stick on the neck of the camel, as a motivator to run as fast as possible and eat it, which never happens.

One has to observe the huge crowds our God-men and God-women attract. Most of them are brought their all-expense-paid and free food. One has to watch the rush for reaching the food tables. Who are these Bhakti-the poor and downtrodden? Who brings them-the paid agents? Who benefits from them-the God-men and God-women?

These ‘preachers’ of Karma, are used by politicians to further their own agenda to remain in power. Most of the politicians are corrupt and self-serving and nothing is expected of them for the betterment of the poor, except their votes.

The answer seems to be to do your karma and make life comfortable and if possible luxurious as you wish in this life only because there may be no other life. Some compromises may have to be made in the process but everyone does.

There is, however, one caveat. There sure is some Super Natural Power that controls and all your efforts may not lead to success. There will always be leaders and followers.

joylokhi and Swetha52003 like this.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

That's what God for the believers. Scriptures, history & everything else explain who the God is according to experiences.

God & religions are totally different concepts. I believe in God, but not in religion.
    Just that, i follow one religion under different umbrellas to customize my spiritual needs.

HariLakhera likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Why every religion has a God? The phrase-I am spiritual but not religious is gaining acceptance.

Swetha52003 likes this.
  4. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Thought provoking thread Sir! Why do we need God ? It’s true that majority of the people have a natural moral compass irrespective of their belief in a God or not.

At some point, we all have prayed and begged in mind for things that we want and believe we deserve in life.. I think it is a human trait to think that there is something bigger than us that works for overall goodness. So for some, believing God in a religion helps to regain some sense of control or acceptance in life.

I do get your point about preachers! But there are exceptions too. In my hometown, there was a neighbor, drunkard, no job, irresponsible family man.Wife and the family tried everything to help overcome his addiction but in vain. Here comes the preacher, but he turns out a savior to this family. They converted and this man gave up his drinking completely and in his own words serving God is his only addiction now :). His wife and children happy too.. This preacher helped some other families too in the similar situations. In these cases religion acted as a hope and purpose for them. Not bad, right ?

5. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

6. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

I think a greater and better understanding of religious scriptures helps us to have an informed opinion...karma isn't you do good and get rewarded instantly or punished immediately...the wheels of justice grind slow...so patience..karma is accumulated over several births so is the cleansing..it's not surf ki dhulai that past sins are rinsed off in one wash...it takes time

7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

There has always and will continue to be some bad eggs in any field. We cannot hence come to the conclusion that all religion is baseless. Religious scriptures are the basis for our beliefs from childhood which continues into adulthood on having a deeper understanding of a supreme power above. Many Gurus and saints over the years have laid the basis of a society leaning towards God in many forms. There can only be positivity where 'Bhakti' in any form exists. This is not to condone ill treatment of the downtrodden in any form in the name of religion.

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

The human mind works in ways to find solutions to the problem and if faith gives hope for relief, people will continue to believe in religions. The real problem is the humans trying to find a justification for all their sufferings. Even if one doesn't believe in Karma, he or she would still try to find answers to the sufferings. Especially, when a person is poor and is constantly struggling to make both ends meet, they have no time to understand either the religion or spiritual principles. Their only goal is to survive and feed the family.

Not all the preceptors are bad and some have genuine interest to take care of the downtrodden and help them realize their potential value. They realize that someone who is hungry will not be able to understand their teachings and hence feed all who seek guidance from them. Generalization sometimes lead to wrong conclusion and like any other human beings, preceptors also belong to two categories such as a) genuinely guiding people into the right path, and b) interested in quick accumulation of material possessions and don't have enough means to become rich instantly without using the preceptor's image to gain popularity and wealth. A good preceptor don't have agents and don't seek for people to come to him or her and people go on their own will.

Even if Karma theory is unacceptable and one doesn't believe in God, he or she can still practice right living in order to remain peaceful and enjoy the present life to the fullest extent. It is the individual's choice and that is why we are gifted with a free will.

nandinimithun likes this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I can explain this to you in simple terms.

My mom & the entire family calls me 'A'. That's my pet name & my identity in the family.
    My community, school, work & everyone in Sri lanka identifies me as 'S'. Thats my first name. In Sri Lanka, we are called by our first names.

In the United nations offices (my work place) across the world, everyone identifies me as 'J' that's my surname.

Here in IL, I am SGBV.

My core character & everything about me remain same everywhere. Thats my personality. But, each group of people identify me differently. That's the reality.

If someone asks about 'A' or 'S' among my colleagues, they wouldn't know. If they ask about 'J', perhaps the people in my community dont know.

If it is the case while i am still alive, what would be the case thousands of years after me?

Each part of the world has their own religion based on what they know about God. They name their God accordingly & worship based on their culture. The pattern of worship becomes religion.

But, God is one!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    HariLakhera and nandinimithun like this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

"Religion is considered true by the ignorant, false by the wise and useful by the rulers " Seneca. Religion is not only the opium of people (it acts as a painkiller).It is also a means for the rulers to control thee populace. Organized religion dins into people's heads that it is a sin to rebel as the ruler is the representative of God on Earth The only solution is to realise like Seneca's wise, tha religion is false. At best the hope it provides is only a kind of placebo.

HariLakhera likes this.