1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mystery Of The Mind

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 29, 2022.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

As always I struggle to respond though I understand what you are saying! Chitha is usually divided into buddhi, ahankara and manas. Manas perceives and helps buddhi make connections and like you have rightly pointed put the difference between self confidence and ego. We constantly have to work at that self confidence not overflowing into ego. For that we need to have discernment - that perception without judgement. It is a tall order for our brain used to the patterns, all it wants to do is constantly judge, form opinions for self preservation. As for keeping that mind, one pointed every time I sit, it is only dharana and occasionally dhyana for a few seconds.....a looong way to go! Instead what I have paid attention to is, 'how to be an observer'. This has helped me a lot in not becoming judgmental, gives me time to ruminate and understand (if I can say so), at least has helped me be more empathetic and mind tends to stay calm for most part of the day. I am not sure if thoughtlessness can be achieved for a longer duration in wakeful state when we are engaged with prakriti. So I have learnt that the best alternative is to be an observer - of the world not just limiting to people but the nature and the mysteries.

This here is the absolute crux of the matter. No matter what sorrow, difficulty or joy we are going through how we receive, process shapes how we feel about life. For most part of the life we fail to separate the idea that our souls journey is different from what we experience as minds. They just have to run simultaneously, observing going neti neti and finally coming to "I am that" - tatvamasi! Can we do it? I don't know. Can we experience it? Momentarily certainly! And it is fascinating to have some understanding that no matter the soul's journey, the karmic journey too must continue - then it all kind of becomes like pieces of puzzle put together finally.

The post and the responses made me think quite a bit subconsciously and is a reminder to me that I need to be engaged in these discussions way more than I am doing right now. Thank you for the write up.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

Thank you, as always, for your feed back and for sharing "how to be an observer" helps you to remain calm and not judgmental. You are already there in the state what I believe one should be and expressed in this snippet. My view is when we observe thoughts, we distance ourselves from those thoughts which is good to remain neutral. But these thoughts are in the mind and how these thoughts are processed by the mind is important for us to understand. Therefore, it is important to observe the pattern of processing data consisting of a) how it is perceived, b) what existing beliefs and other values that are applied to derive conclusion, and c) how open I am to make changes, if needed. When these processes are changed, if needed, we allow the mind to refresh itself to a new understanding.

That is the best way to get closer and closer to the Truth which is life's objective. Once we achieve this, we will remain unaffected by the world and be in the state of bliss, is my belief. If the mind processes information exactly as per reality, the duality will disappear.

3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Typically, I read Viswa's snippets and mull them over in small digestible portions over several days, even weeks. But a couple days ago, I received a DM from him asking for a response to this thread. I'll try to verbalize my thoughts ...

These threads are an interesting read for me, and occasionally something seeps into my consciousness. But my major lessons in IL have been learned in the Relationship Forum. For example, many years ago, I read this post by Rihana. It had a big impact on me and on my relationships with people. I guess I'm more about the how-tos than the whys in life.

My life is guided by instinct and a desire to do what is right. Beyond that, I tend not to worry too much about the whys and wherefores. By nature, I'm a student, not a teacher — I like to read more than respond in these deep threads. :blush:

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

@Amica, Thank you for reading this snippet and for expressing your approach to life. Like you, I am a big fan of @Rihana’s practical comments in the relationship forum. I hope I didn’t make you feel obligated to respond here. Since you liked my post, I requested for your comments. Even your like itself made me feel happy.

Amica likes this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Not at all, Viswa. :)

But you made me think. :p

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Is it really though? I think this is where maybe I differ from you. Don’t get me wrong - I’ve read a passage or two and I’ve been able to follow all the intricate differences of buddhi, manas, dharana etc. It’s all very interesting but I find I forget it quite easily once I shut the book.

When I sit to meditate it just comes down to mind and non mind as far as I’m concerned. Thought and non thought. Yes it’s simplistic. I don’t even go into mind or near that chakra-vyuha.
    The mistake I used to make is to think mind is all there is. A decade or so ago I heard a talk that discussed a sense of wonder that transcends all thought - when we see a beautiful sunset, or hear an amazing/awful/wonderful news. We have all experienced this.

People describe it as ‘my mind got blocked. I just couldn’t think’ or ‘mind blowing’ etc.

What I do is I try to focus on the sensation I felt when I last experienced a mind block- the feelings and sensations - of immediacy, of just coexisting with the news or vista or view, of just being and feeling glad to be alive. It works for me.
    The minute I go near my mind or start poking it even a little off I’ll go on a long trip! and powerless to stop the free association so now I don’t even go near there.
    My normal life is very cerebral, thought, word and pattern oriented so non thinking interludes like these give me lot of relief.

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

@1Sandhya

You have every right to express a different view and in fact I welcome it because I am still a novice in learning about the mind. There is no question of getting you wrong.

Traditionally, we had learned that mind is nothing but collection of thoughts and once thoughts do not exist, mind disappears. From that angle, there are only two stages such as thoughtfulness and thoughtlessness. The learned people talk about conquering the mind in order to achieve realization.

I believe mind is a powerful tool and understanding the mind becomes essential for us to even attempt to regulate the mind. I believe changing the way the mind works also changes the pattern of its analyzing things. The mind uses a lot of past experiences and present its interpretation quickly and evaluating this method helps us in our growth and development.

That is how I ended up writing this snippet. As I said, I am not a professional and all my views are mere interpretation of what could produce better outcome. I could be wrong in my interpretation and if I am, I am willing to correct my views. My curiosity to learn about the mind makes me learn so much about the mind and write about it. I have written approximately 100 such snippets about the mind so far in IL. All of these snippets were written with an intention to seek our friends in IL to share their views so that I can learn more. My view is not to leave the mind as a blackbox. Whether the mind should be left alone or to be understood is something only an expert could answer.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

tOI HAVE SELF- CONFIDENCE YOU MUST KNOW YOURSELF ADS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, YOUR STRENGTHS, WEAKNESS, ABILITIES ETC. Ego on the other hand is blind. It basically springs from a sense of insecurity anbd our need to reassure ourself. Herte we are blind to ourself. True knowledge increases humility and egoi ebbs.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee, You said it all in simple sentences. Knowledge leads to a lot of humility and courage whereas ego shows arrogance and fear.