How Anonymous Is An Anonymous Forum?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Laks09, May 14, 2022.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

If everyone is afraid to speak, things will head south really fast. Thank God for the brave men and women who spoke up regardless of the consequences to themselves. They made our way of life possible.

It's good to avoid talking about family and friends without their consent though. That's a privacy issue, not a fear of retaliation from people with a different point of view.

Laks09 and Nanmith like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Laks09,

21 years ago, we have surrendered our first amendment rights when 911 attack took place. Every one of our public domain writing and speech is collected by the government as a meta data and stored for further analysis by the intelligence. This is only one side of the story of losing our first amendment rights.

Social media platforms store so much of individual data to share it with the commerical organizations and mostly their platform is built with the intention to sell information for sales and marketing. Since the proliferation of internet, this was happening already and nowadays, the social media platform has introduced their right to monitor what is being posted under the pretext of monitoring misinformation. Even a deleted account's data is stored in their database forever.

Your post is spot on. In the current scenario, it is impossible to be away from social media and internet but we can choose what we do online.

Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I am scared of reading this thread. In a tops-turvy world, how dangerous or catastrophic to make a suggestion here and there involving government, politicians, people at large(!) and methods and to find out trends and beliefs. I suggested somewhere referendum and am worried stiff. I think I must be careful.

I shall re-consider to continue or not here asa my ‘likes’ count reaches ten K.
    People are getting arrested for expressing their views on platforms, on forums, on social media, on WHATSAPP and for counter views in my country/ city too! At my ripe age I can’t endure interrogation!

Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.