1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Going Great Guns

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, May 26, 2022.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

They buy guns th way we buy vegetables. Don't be surprised if one day a Kindergarten kid takes his dad's gun to schook and shoots the teacher for ticking him off for not reciting nursery rhymes propeylu.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Do you really think no one in the US is raising these questions?

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I think a weak minority is mumbling now mand then bu8t those who hold the rifle and the National Rifle Association hold the power.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  5. Thyagarajan

I never thought of some one would question the suggestion. I always think @viswa is Indian rep in US AND LOVED HIS UNBIASED VIEWS. Anyways sorry if my suggestion is irrelevant!

Thanks and Regards.

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The Second Amendment is part of the US constitution. It will be next to impossible to overturn. The US Supreme Court is tilted 6-3 now so the Democrats have no chance with anything there. The US Senate and Congress are almost evenly divided right now and are likely to flip R in November.
    The electoral system of the United States is structured to disproportionately give power to rural areas that are strongly pro-guns. The president cannot cat unilaterally. It will require both parties to come to an agreement. Kevin Cramer, Republican senator of North Dakota was asked last week about why his party doesn’t agree to any form of gun control. He said, oh we could but then we would lose our seats.

chanchitra and Viswamitra like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Is there any obstacle to have referendum ? I might be a novice in US Affairs! To get the real feel of the issue, I think I must hold a gun! Parents of kids in college and universities must keep their powder dry. Beware Constitution protects guns better than kids & sophomores of citizens and immigrants. As a matter of precaution, better POTUS provide kids with bulletproof jackets and helmets. just for gag!

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

My point was the gun control never became #1 issue in any election. The country is equally divided with legislative power spread equally or close to equal. The countryside states are pretty much with 2nd amendment whereas the urban populations are for gun control.

As you know, the 435 representatives are selected by each constituency whereas the states are given equal 2 seats in the senate. In order to pass gun control that will affect the second amendment, the senate has to pass that with 2/3rd majority which is 67 senators. As you know, the senate is not selected based on population. Whether a state has 20 million or 1 million population, both states will have 2 senators. This is precisely why, this legislation is so hard to pass. Unless there is an uprising of people where majority of the Americans are willing to sign a petition, the Congress will not be able to pass this. If they know they will not be elected again, then only, a change can happen. It is the people who needs to stand up for the children.

chanchitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thank you for the feedback. Am glad I too participated in this thread with my 2cents.

10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I’m on vacation and wanted to stay away from this but …..

A classroom full of low to middle income Hispanic kids got shot at. Multiple of them called 911. One called 911 from her dead teacher’s phone. Operators knew what was going on. 19 Uvalde police officers waited in the hallway for 90 minutes to get a key for the said classroom door. I wonder what the response time would have been had the class been full of affluent Caucasian kids. They had assault rifles and tactical gear and still waited for someone else to come and do their jobs.

Uvalde is a low to middle income Hispanic neighborhood.
    Sandy hooks is in an affluent white neighborhood. Newton, CT banded together after Sandy hook. If affluent caucasians from CT couldn’t bring about a change in gun laws, then someone shooting up a school in South TX is going to just go away.

I also found out the plan for special needs kids. It’s for the teachers to just leave them if they cannot follow instructions in the chaos. It hurt like my arm was being ripped away when I read that.

This is the reality for children in America. I think parents have to teach their kids what to do when someone is shooting a gun in class and go through the plan and practice a million times.