1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"You are my sons discovery. I respect you." Raman told daughter in law.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by 1Sandhya, Mar 13, 2014.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Forum friends,

I came across this article and wanted to share it with you.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-law/articleshow/31072185.cms?intenttarget=no

My first thought on reading such a nice heartwarming article was to post it here. I think I may be spending too much time on this site. :)

--------------------------

You are my son's discovery, I respect you, Raman told daughter-in-law

TNN | Feb 27, 2014, 05.19 AM IST

BANGALORE: Frenchwoman Dominique was in awe of the occasion: she had to meet her future father-in-law who was a great scientist and Nobel laureate, for the first time. She gingerly stepped into the room where CV Raman was resting.

Raman, though, was amiable. Raising his head, Raman said: "So you're Dominique? You are my son's discovery and I shall respect you for that." This is how Raman welcomed his daughter-in-law when they met for the first time in 1970.

"I shall not forget that moment. He was so nice to me," Dominique Radhakrishnan told TOI.

According to Dominique, "Raman had an attractive personality and piercing, sharp eyes. He often quipped that my name sounds like an island."

Asked for her most memorable moment with Raman, Dominique said he had once told her he would gift her his collection of opal crystals. "He had some rare gems, and had displayed them in his private museum. One evening, he asked me to visit the museum. After my visit, he suddenly said he would gift all the opals to me," she said.
    But Dominique decided not to take possession of them. "I strongly felt the opals should remain in the museum," she said.

Raman relished South Indian food. "He was a teetotaller and preferred South Indian dishes. He often took me to hotels like Blue Fox on MG Road and Quality Hotel on Brigade Road. In his leisure time, he would listen to Carnatic music," Dominique recalled.

Terming Raman an emotional person, she said, "Once, my husband wrote him a letter. Raman was so thrilled by it he made a teakwood frame for the letter, displaying both 'from' and 'to' addresses."

maalti, Thyagarajan, maya69 and 5 others like this.

2. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

"You are my son's discovery, I respect you, Raman told daughter-in-law"

no better way to welcome a dil.

2 people like this.
  3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Your question made me curious so I checked. Raman passed away Nov 1970 so looks like this lady knew him for only a few months if she met him for the first time in 1970. The MIL lived for 10 more years.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

lol.....your doubt made me laugh?

1 person likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I never read this though I have been regular reader of TIMES OF INDIA Bombay edition in Chennai.

One seldom finds such a kind generous hearted person like Sir C V.

Thanks for sharing and Regards.

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I came here once again today after viewing OP ‘ s polite & truthful response in nomination thread for ongoing month - May, “22.

I wonder why ms Dominique not mentioned about her ( future ) MIL.
    REGARDS.