1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Check If The State Has Your Unclaimed Money (america)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, May 21, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What does "unclaimed" mean? When does my money become unclaimed?

Best explained with an example:
    Years ago you paid a security deposit to a utility company when you rented an apartment for a short time. You moved. The company tried to return that money to you through a check which you never received or whatever. The company is required by law to try reaching you a certain number of times, over a certain period of time. If still unable to return that money to you, the money becomes "unclaimed" and the company must turn it over to the state. The money then sits with the state govt till you read this thread and claim it. : )

What are the types of unclaimed money?
    These are technically called "unclaimed property" though it does not refer to real estate. They say there are billions of dollars in unclaimed property.

Some common types of unclaimed property are:
    Rental security deposits, dormant checking or savings accounts, refunds, uncashed dividends or payroll checks, customer overpayments, insurance payments or refunds and life insurance policies, traveler's checks, unredeemed money orders.

How can I find and get my unclaimed money?
    There are many ways to do this. The easiest and first step is to search for unclaimed money in your state or the states where you have lived. If you find money in your name, follow a few steps and the state govt will eventually send you that money as a check.

CA Unclaimed Property Search | TX Unclaimed Property Search | FL Unclaimed Property Search

Or, just click on your state in this map: National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators
    Takes only 10 seconds! Just enter your name, nothing else.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    KashmirFlower, msm and Laks09 like this.

2. Rihana

Random TGIF question:

If one enters the names of one's friends/neighbors in the unclaimed property website, is that creepy, stalking, weird?

I wouldn't do that : ) no never! : ) Just asking : )

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Amica likes this.
  3. Rihana

@anika987 starts thread that she left paneer outside all night... responses pour in. :grinning: Here I post that your money may be lying (outside) with the state.. no one cares. :grinning:

:lol:

4. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

@Rihana - thanks for sharing this, found one for my husband :) Shared with some of my friends too.

curlytweethere and Rihana like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

:laughing:

Rihana likes this.
  6. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

That’s funny

Rihana likes this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have to figure this out. A few years ago I got a check from a doctor’s office after they had accidentally overcharged me. The check got misplaced and I forgot about it. Moths later I got a letter from the office saying tang they had sent the funds to the state. I have to find out how to get my money back.

Rihana likes this.