1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Make Oats Breakfast A Daily Routine?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by abc00, Jul 28, 2021.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

I lose weight easily if I include oats in my breakfast routine. I don't like milk so that's ruled out for me to eat like a cereal. I normally eat with adding bananas. Sometimes I get bored with this. Please share some fancy ideas to make this interesting. I would like to have something readymade at home -like a premix porridge etc. Have anyone tried something like that? Share ideas please.

Rihana likes this.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Most householders are cursed with a daily upma [aka uppuma]. You can see recipes on the internet -- made from any cereal grain you can think of....oats included.
    You would make a premix of fried onions and masala, as well as tadka [mustard seeds, curry leaves, yada yada]-- store it in a bottle in the fridge. Premix making is common in OPOS cooking method. Cook your quick-oats as you would for a western breakfast, then add your desired level of premix-masala-tadka, and skillet-work that mix into uniformity over medium-low heat. You'd have your upma, and it would certainly be milk free and very different.

Another common premix for any cooked cereal grain is the Puliodarai mix of south indians. You can buy this in shop or make it from an internet recipe.

abc00 likes this.
  3. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

Overnight oats with almond milk, coconut milk or oat milk with fruit, nuts , yogurt is a staple at my home for busy mornings.

4. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

Instant oats dosa, oats smoothies with your fav dry fruits/nuts, oats kichdi

5. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

As mentioned I don't like milk so that's not an option for me.

6. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

Hi
    I will share my way of eating oats:blush:

1.I will dry roast oats and do coarse powder,you can do fine powder also,to that add dry fruits like almonds,cashew,pista,anjeer,dates, walnuts whatever nuts and dryfruit available with you can add.
    Add banana or any fruit pulp,honey,or little amount of milk to make paste.You can apply this paste on bread or roti roll.
    Even we add this in milk and drink,but as you said you don't like milk,I gave you alternative idea.
    2.I usually make oats powder and I use for soup by adding veggies like cabbage,carrot,spring onion,peas, garlic,finely chop them and add , boil it to that sprinkle pepper,put salt as per taste.Garnish with coriander.serve hot.
    Here you can add finely chopped spinach too.
    3.With powdered oats you can even make Dhokla by adding sujji.Here also you can add vegetable like grated carrot, coriander.
    4.you also make oats veg dosa, without oil in non stick pan.
    I posted two healthy recipes in IL,once you make those recipe and give your feedback.
    I am big foodie,I do lot of experiments and I love to be healthy.
    It's nice to share each other's healthy recipes
    Hope you will like it.
    Regards
    Ratna

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    abc00 likes this.
  7. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

Hello @abc00
    I am just sharing link of healthy recipe I posted in IL
    Quick,healthy And Tasty Urad Dal Dahi Vada
    In the same column i posted veg paneer sweet corn salad.
    Regard
    Ratna

abc00 likes this.
  8. kavikuyil

kavikuyil Bronze IL'ite

Look up baked oatmeal recipe ..

we do this once in a while .. we don’t follow any recipe .. just rolled oats, some almond flour or wheat flour (optional), baking powder 1/2 tsp, minimal sugar, some chopped nuts, mashed banana, dried shredded coconut , some oil and add some milk or yogurt or water .. it turns a thick slurry.. we bake until it’s dry .. cut into squares and freeze this in ziplocks and eat for breakfast .. you could add cinnamon powder, ginger powder etc for flavour .. substitute mashed banana with apple sauce or pumpkin purée .. we have also tried no sugar in this recipe .. it’s all good!

9. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

I don't like milk too and i dry roast and powder and keep the oats....
    I use this in chapati dough, dosa and idli batter.

When I want something else, i prepare veggies, yellow moong and oats khicdi, wholesome, tasty and healthy.

10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Oats khicdi
    You will need
    2 cups Oats Roasted( I used Quaker quick cooking)
    1 cup Yellow moong dhal
    1 cup mixed veggies( I used alu,carrot,french beans and green peas)
    Salt as per taste
    Turmeric 1/2 tsp
    Oil 1 tsp
    Cumin seeds and Black peppercorns 1 tsp each
    Onions 2 Finely chopped
    Finely chopped garlic 1 tsp
    Curry leaves few
    Grated Ginger 1 tsp

Method
    Wash and soak the moong dhal for 30mins in water.
    Heat oil add cumin seeds, when it splutters add chopped onion, ginger and garlic and sauté until turns pinkish.
    Now add the mixed veggies, peppercorns, turmeric, salt and cook for 3-4mins.
    Now add 3-4 glasses of water, add the soaked moong after draining the water, and roasted oats.
    Pressure cook for 2 whistles and your done.
    Serve hot with any spicy chutney or can be served as it is.
    You can even add a tsp ghee before serving.

Gauri03 likes this.