1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by EagerForInfo, May 22, 2022.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Hello

As several people have mentioned I am contemplating divorce. But how do I avoid my husband getting custody of the kids. ?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You will likely have to share custody. It’s best to consult a lawyer and come to an agreement with your spouse. Except in extremely egregious cases or unless your husband agrees to relinquish custody sharing is the norm.

3. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

If someone knows of a way to get custody of my kids without my in laws and husband getting custody please let me know. My in laws are uneducated villagers. In spite of me giving them undue respect they still make my husband attack me saying I am not respecting them.

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You have to consult a lawyer and follow the laws in your state. Child custody issues are a serious matter.
    Don’t do anything that will give your husband a chance to turn the tables on you.

5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

You need lawyers who can help you get what you want
    You shouldn’t make decisions based on people like us who are actually strangers . This is a big decision and you shouldn’t depend on this forum members for something this big . We can be sounding board to your problems but not someone who can solve your problems

6. lakshmi888

lakshmi888 Silver IL'ite

@EagerForInfo

It seems you have never Dealt with an attorney here in the west / in states ..

they should be your best mate like your doctor who hears all your concerns and provides best legal course of action … he should know all facts of your case - each and every thing !!

Spend money and get an attorney who listens to your concerns and helps you find out the best legal solution …

Besides my divorce, I even hired attorney and his team to sue a bunch of people who had ganged up on me to harass me in my HOA ( Ironically , all desis with 1 Caucasian soccer mom type woman as my sub division is 99 percent desi which I did not know before moving to this area ) - my attorney and his legal team handled my legal case properly and the HOA harassers almost crapped their pants as they thought a single desi woman living on her own would not sue them and literally begged me to not go ahead with the harassment lawsuit as my attorney had provided info on all sections of law that they had broken by targeting me and harassing me …their attorney also countered me but my legal case was very strong which they and their attorney knew beforehand so they were begging me everyday to not go
    Ahead with the lawsuit and finally agreed to my legal terms and stopped harassing me !! I still have the option to go ahead with the lawsuit as per state laws in my state so they are behaving properly now..

Always hire an attorney even in the smallest instance of harassment whether in a marriage or outside of it !!

You can always file a lawsuit against the wrong party who troubles you - here in the west - in marriage or outside the marriage .,

Also, if I were you , I would not stay in a marriage where the husband is taking on debt after debt that the wife would have to pay .. I would divorce as some people have done to not spoil their credit history and financial future because of a spouse who is taking debt after debt without informing the other in a marriage …

I think in some states , one can sue the ex spouse also…. Pls consult an attorney … there are good n bad ones just like a doctor ….but , a good attorney and a good doctor are life saviors and worth every penny spent !!

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    KashmirFlower likes this.
  7. rosequeen

rosequeen Bronze IL'ite

Sorry to hear that Eager, as I have mentioned several times, legally its very tough (attorney can't do much) to get sole custody (different from primary custody which is relatively easy for the mother). Going to court will most likely result in a shared parenting plan. Your best bet is to negotiate with your husband however bad the relationship is. You need sole custody to prevent your in laws from seeing your kids