1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Sue Son For Not Giving Them Grandkid

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Rihana, May 18, 2022.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

It grieves me deeply that these parents belong to my generation. What did our parents do wrong that we turned into such greedy monsters?

Seriously, I have a basic question - one that has been troubling me since years. Do telly soaps imitate life or vice versa or do they even have anything in common? If the answer is yes, it is indeed extremely worrying, seeing the kind of control freaks some children are unfortunate to have for parents.

sandhya2020, Mistt and Rihana like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

This law suit only proves the love in real life can be conditional. In general, no one educate, get them married, spend money for giving gifts for the marriage to their adult children with a condition that they should comply with their wishes. There are so many unconventional things are done in matrimony. But all these actions are against our culture. Just imagine how much of stress it would create to the couple if they were genuinely experiencing fertility issues? Having children is a personal matter of the couple and no one else should interfere in that. I hope the court would bring some sense to these parents in their judgment. In a judicial system that gave a verdict that allows couple to have extra-marital affairs, it is a lot to expect. This only shows how low the parents can go. In a way, it is a harassment of the DIL.

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Deleted as it is duplicate.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  4. satchitananda

Apart from parental love being so extremely conditional and commercialized, isn't there something basically sickening in the following attitudes?

1. I prefer a son - sons are long term investments.
    2. If I have a daughter, well she has to be endured until she can be palmed off.
    3. My children must marry when I want them to get married, to the person I want them to marry. They should not love each other before marriage, but love should blossom the very day they get married.
    4. They should not get divorced, unless I want them to and if I want them to get divorced, how dare my son have other thoughts? I shall ensure they do.
    5. They better have kids when I want them to. I am getting bored and want a toy.
    6. I shall decide how the grandchild is brought up. Let the mom not delude herself that she has any rights over her kid.
    7. In case of condition 4 coming into play, we shall lay claim on said grandchild.

Does this sound anything like a 'marriage' or ..... (censored).

5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Anyone can sue anyone for anything. The court will probably dismiss the case. It's a frivolous lawsuit.

I'm guessing the relationship between this couple and their son broke down a long time ago. And them demanding a grandchild is just the latest example of their entitled attitude.

If the couple ends up having a child, I hope they keep the kid far away from these grandparents. No child is a toy. No child should be brought into the world to alleviate the grandparents' boredom or loneliness.

If the court rules in their favor, every young couple can demand compensation of $650,000 before producing a grandchild. :facepalm:

The video was shocking! I'm glad the mother lawyered up.

The judicial system did what now?! :eek:

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If Viswa and I are referring to the same law/ judgement, an outdated colonial-era law was struck down.

India’s supreme court strikes down a colonial-era adultery law (2018)

Extramarital sex is not a criminal offence in India anymore.

A husband could prosecute the man who had sexual relations with his wife, even if the wife was a voluntary participant in the act.
    A wife, on the other hand, could prosecute neither her husband nor those with whom he had engaged in extramarital affairs.

The country’s supreme court [in 2018] struck down a colonial-era law that prescribed a maximum imprisonment of five years to men for adultery. However, the offence still remains a valid ground for divorce.

Amica, Mistt, Thyagarajan and 4 others like this.
  7. satchitananda

I hope it is not just dismissed by the court but a harsh fine be imposed on the couple for wasting the time of the courts which are already so inundated that genuine grievances have to wait for decades before getting justice.

sandhya2020, Mistt and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the clarification, Rihana. :thumbsup:

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I endorse the view for imposing deterrent penalty for frivolous petition so that othersuch parents are warned from such foolhardiness!

satchitananda and sandhya2020 like this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Does India have laws protecting grandparents' rights? Can grandparents demand access to their grandchildren via the courts?

Thyagarajan likes this.