1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Indian Passport Renewal In Us

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Saahasi, May 12, 2022.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Just wondering if someone needs to travel outside the country and come back will they be allowed if their green card expired ?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I don’t think so. You are fine to live in the US but need a valid GC to reenter.

3. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

Their response was quick.I actually got two different responses from them.

They wrote to me as
    1.If your visa is expired and you have applied for an extension and the approval is pending with the USCIS, you may select your valid legal status as pending.Please be informed that if you currently hold a valid visa you may select the option as “yes”.

2.Legal status is mandatory while applying for a passport renewal, a temporary proof will be required for a pending status, please share any document you may have for the same so we may be able to guide you more accurately.

So I will send the proof to them via email before submitting my status online.

No particular reason I was just being hopeful that I would get it soon after my biometrics was done. Also,no point in asking for a temporary stamping now as it would only be valid until my current Indian passport expires.It’s better to get my Indian passport renewed and then ask for a temporary stamping which is usually given for 6 months to a year while the gc renewal is in process.

Their helpline is very expensive, for any further queries you can contact them via email info.ihcusa@vfshelpline.com or this link https://vfs.mioot.com/forms/In/USA/PS/ 1
    They respond within 24 hours.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  4. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

Yea need a valid gc to re-enter usa.

5. mangaii

Our consulate is very slow to respond. Glad you got a response quickly.

6. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

They replied me back again with more details about the supporting documents that I must provide.

7. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

@mangaii and @MalStrom Who can notarize documents?I mean would someone from a local USA post office do? Whats the best method of shipping ? Choosing vfs or my own shipping label? I heard the vfs shipping label expires.Asking as I need to get my physical documents ready.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

We usually go to our bank for notary services, but if your post office offers it that will be fine too. There may be a nominal charge.

9. mangaii

In my area we can find notary in every nook and corner . I just googled and went to nearest location . The shipping choice depends on the address in passport . Did you change address from old one ? Do you have Indian address or local usa address ?

10. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

I have included two new addresses in my government application - My current usa address (my previous usa address is mentioned in my latest passport so I added a miscellaneous service on the vfs that I need to change the printable usa address in my new upcoming passport) and my new Indian address (my parents current Indian address).Do I need to provide proof of my indian address as well?If so, what proof must I include?