Hindu Deities Plush Toys - Gift Idea

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Rihana, May 3, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The Hindu deities plush toys have great attention to detail, come in six or 10 inch size, and battery-operated sing popular mantras when the belly is pressed.

I was looking at them to gift for first/second birthday or graduation. Then, my FB feed showed a discussion saying these toys are disrespectful.

Your thoughts?

Plush Toys | ModiToys
    plushtoys.png

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The attention to detail really impressed and I was so happy to find a neat gift idea for a young child or someone who grew up reading Amar Chitra Katha. After reading some comments in the FB discussion, I am not so sure.

Are these common in India? I feel so out of date and out of touch.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

They do look very nice and would be great as Golu decorations or just to display on a shelf.
    I am superstitious however and I personally would not buy them as gifts because there is no way of knowing how they would be used. I am also probably a 100 years behind the times in these matters so take my opinion for what it’s worth LOL.

4. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

No this reply absolutely makes sense to me (I am superstitious too). Not sure how others would see it .

Rihana , I visited the website and they look so cute with those babies . Was imagining my LO holding that(She would definitely enjoy that plus those mantras playing - nothing like that) . I can't help but imagine how she would grow up to understand it . I cannot say they are disrespectful but it depends on one's belief.
    For a person with faith in God these plush toys of God would be unacceptable , mainly because idols of gods are to be worshipped with utmost Bhakti . My LO will play with this toy and then put it back with all her usual toys in her toy box which we generally don't do with God photos or Idols . Idols/Photos of God are given a special place in the house with special importance .
    For an atheist these are just toys with no emotions attached :) So it depends on to whom you are gifting and what their belief is .

======Just Sharing: I remember with such enthusiasm I brought my Brass Krishna idol . But it disappointed my in laws and they had a view that we can only worship photos and cannot keep Vigraham(Idol) at home . Keeping Vigraham requires us to take care of the god like how they do in the temples . So my idea of keeping all idols at home(Ganesha, Murugan etc etc ) was crushed by them . Since I had already paid around 9k for the Krishna Idol they kind of gave their opinion and kept quiet =====

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Saw this later . No they are not common here . I have not seen them here either online or in stores . None of the gifts we received so far was this :)

Rihana likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Rihana

Trust you to find such adorable ideas. As cute as they look, I may also not give it as a gift - same sentiment as to what to do with the toys after the child grows up. I am sure just like me, it is not easy for many of us to get rid of calendars with god's pictures on them :), imagine the plush toys!!

@Anusha2917 , as for the big vigrahams, from what I understand, we don't keep them in pooja room for worship but can be kept in other areas. I received a couple of big brass idols like that and now I have a neat collection in a corner - I love all of them and I feel that they talk to me :) . I also light a lamp or agarbathi every now and then but certainly for festivals to that corner.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Keeping vigrahams is something very specific to families I believe.
    In my side of family there is no restriction but my husband side of family has lot of restrictions. After following my husband side of tradition for several years, I finally decided to buy some during lockdown and I'm gald I did it. I enjoy doing my daily pooja with my idols. Especially when temples were locked I came up with my own process based on discussion with elders in my family .

Amica, Rihana and MalStrom like this.
  8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

These are adorable and also controversial. Best to avoid as a surprise gift. Might be fine if you get parental approval first.

Personally, I'm on the fence. Kids abuse their toys. An energetic toddler could send a toy flying across the room. A much-loved teddy bear often has a missing eye or limb. Seeing one of these in poor shape would make most Hindus uncomfortable.

OTOH, we had various cookie/candy tins around the home with images of Gods on them. They were used, re-used, rusted and discarded unceremoniously.

Rihana likes this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Last year I was almost going to buy them as I wanted my 1st gift for my baby to be something precious. Later changed my mind.

Rihana likes this.