1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Worried Mother For Her Daughter To Keep Fit For Good Health

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by anjali1997, Mar 20, 2022.

1. anjali1997

anjali1997 Silver IL'ite

My daughter is 22 yeas old and right now studying in USA. I am worried about her health. She is overweight right now she is 90 kgs. I checked all her medical parameters and all are fine. The biggest problem is if I say something about her she says that I am body shaming her. And tell me that she is fine in her skin. She refuse to accept that she is overweight and refuse to do any dieting and exercising. As a mother I am worried about her health in future. I am going to USA and will stay with her almost 2 months. How can I solve this problem please suggest…

indubalram likes this.

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Being a mother it's natural to be worried. If you are going to stay with her then it's a golden opportunity for you to make her change. You just have to prepare low calorie food for yourself and ask her to taste as well and also go for a regular walk. She may not understand if you tell her but she may follow you and adopt these habits of staying fit. TC

senorita2019, anika987 and MalStrom like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@anjali1997 - Welcome to the fitness forum. With young adults, it’s hard to make them see reason especially if we try to make them do what we know is good for them. Like @messedup suggested above, it’s a good idea to lead by example. Since you are traveling to the US for two months, you will have time to help her with her food. Students barely have time to focus on healthy eating options. They are usually focused on finding something quick and something that isn’t too expensive. Maybe you can start incorporating salads and more veggies and healthier food when you are around.

I also have seen better success when the young adult thinks it is all her idea in the first place. Gently guiding them to make such a decision is something that always helps.

She is young and seemingly in good health. When you are around, if she eats a little better and reduces a little bit of weight, it may encourage her to try other things like going to the gym or trying a class with a friend. Another idea that I can think of is if you look for free trial classes in gyms nearby and have her come with you for supporting you, she might end up liking it and continue. When I wanted mine to start working out, I had her come with me for a trial class for supporting me through it. She liked it and goes regularly now!

Good Luck! Keep us posted on how things are going.

4. anjali1997

anjali1997 Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much @Laks09 and @messedup for the ideas. I am always regular with my fitness routine and about my eating habits. I will continue this when I am with her also. Laks09 you are right that adults will be more interested if the ideas comes from the. Will try my best to do so. And time to time would like to take advices from lovely ladies from this group. Thanks

messedup and Laks09 like this.
  5. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

My son was overweight and I showed him some health stats abt the implications in future like BP, diabetes, arthritis etc. he got more cooperative and started to go to gym and ate more veggies.

lot of youtube videos are there which explain very well abt the future effects of obesity

anjali1997 likes this.