1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Date With Ekadasi Vradham(fast)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

This is Wonderful hilarious piece of writing. I enjoyed it thoroughly. :laughing::laughing:

My dad is someone who cannot fast nor resist his temptation for yummy food.

Dad n mom along with sambandhi number 1(sister's in laws) went to trichy to have Darshan of Lord Ranganatha. Apparently it was Amavasya on the day they boarded the train to Trichy. After finishing all the Home packed lunch in train, once they alighted @ Trichy they proceeded towards a nearby hotel to finish their evening tea. Bajji was too tempting so the Sambandhis who don't follow Amavasya rituals went ahead n ordered onion bajji. Dad inquired about chilli bajji or potato bajji or raw banana bajji. None were available. He couldn't resist his temptation for the bajji. He went ahead took a bajji from Sambandhis plate and seperated the onion from the outer layer of besan n rice flour mixture n ate the outer layer alone.
    Even now when we all meet, mami (sister's mil) jokes about the incident.

The Sambandhi 2(my in laws) are extremely strict in following any ekadashi, dwadashi, Amavasya etc. Forget about special days they won't eat onion n garlic even on normal days. The entire family (my parents, in laws, sister family) visited us in Mumbai. We all had gone to Gateway and then went to a nearby exclusive veg restaurant . The condition to choose the restaurant was it should serve jain food. (For in laws) . My dad will eat all onion garlic everything on all days but tries to follow sathvik food on special days. As we sat he voluntarily told I'm gonna give company to sambandhi 2 and take jain food with them. My in laws were seated at one corner on a long table. Next dad and next it was us who exclusively didn't want jain food. As we ordered starters seperate jain portion was ordered for my in laws. Dad in between enjoyed both jain n non jain food. :tongueclosed::tongueclosed: I said he's supposed to eat jain food with my in laws. He murmured something and continued eating non jain from our order. :tonguewink::tonguewink:

abc00 and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

My late FIL - DID exactly this out of box thinking on that blue moon day when we returned from visit to Elephanta. It is hilarious though pragmatic.
    when I did almost similar - others got emboldened to eat from other’s plates a bit in a restaurant again in mumbai Ghatkopar.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Yet another hilarious post, felt like watching you and your spouse. It is a discipline more of the mind too when it comes to fasting. I have tried to fast, but that is the worst day as we end up getting hungry even more early. My husband doesn't like me fasting as he can't, but more that that, his worry is, end of day I will end up yelling at everyone due to hunger.

"Despite heavy lunch, I felt all digested so soon and begin to get fresh hunger. I cursed my fast metabolism. " _ indeed, the more we try, it gets worse :) , great humor the way you wrote it.

My mom used to fast for sankatahara chaturthi and ekadasi when I was young, but these days their ekadashi fasting is like avoiding rice, and eating chappathi. She herself says, it is not a fast, only thing is they take tiffin instead of rice :), followed by dwadashi paranai. I tell my mom, you need to do the paranai only if you observe full fast, but you are not starving anyways :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:
    I remain Overwhelmed & stand humbled. Thank you.நன்றி.

This reminds me my Amma & sister and my time of engineering studies. Mom desired that I observe sankara haram chadurthi. In the link below you would brief notes in observing this vratham.
    Moon Boon Lord & Kozhukattai
    Help me to understand paranai.

When one fasts there is huge scientific benefits. It helps removal of toxins, mindfulness, fine tuning secretion of beneficial hormones and enzymes and mental balance & concentration. My mom used to manage many things efficiently even days of her observing fast. She used to suffer migraines for 3 to 4 days in a month that always coincided with her days close to her periods. Even then she remained focus and help giving me directions to cook and take care of of my young sister.
    Thanks & Regards.
    God Bless all womenfolk first on priority.

5. Thyagarajan

@joylokhi
    Upon review of this thread, i found some of my regular followers have missed it. I wish to draw their attention to this thread which they might enjoy reading.

6. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Thoroughly enjoyed your attempts at Ekadashi fasting :grinning: I have only recently - a few months back - started to observe some limitations in food on Ekadashi days. Knowing it is not easy to start off a rigid schedule of fasting straight away, i have one meal - without rice - and milk and fruit at night. To be frank it is not easy but hope i shall be able to manage well as I get used to it over time! Sadhguru had once mentioned there are days such as on Ekadashi, the body automatically will not require the usual intake of food. But, I have yet to experience this :grinning:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thank you that you could tolerate the Ekadasi as observed by me. Yes Sadguru- I remember to have seen that video.
    Regards.

8. Thyagarajan

A synopsis of benefits of observing Ekadasi Vradam

One of the lesser known stories of Hindu religion is the story of vaikuntha ekadashi , this is a famous festival and celebrated by most of the people , and it is specially famous for vaishnavas , the vaikuntha ekadashi cleebrations are widely done in many vishnu temples speacially tirumala and sri rangam ,but most people do not know the story behind this holy day of VAIKUNTHA EKADASHI

It is said that , the gates of the supreme realm vaikuntha are open on this auspicious day , and according to vishnu puran fasting on the day of vaikuntha ekadashi is equal to fasting on all other ekadashis of the year , according to Padma Purana, Vishnu’s female energy has killed the Muran demon and protects the “Devas”. It happened on the eleventh day of the lunar month during the sun’s journey in the Dhanurrashi or Dhanu Rashi. Impressed by the act, Sri Vishnu names her “Ekadashi” and gives her the blessing that those who worship “Ekadashi” on the day of his victory over Muran will arrive at “Vaikunt” (His abode).

The importance of Vaikuntha Ekadashi is mentioned in Padma Purana. Legend says that the Devas, unable to resist the tyranny of “Muran”, a demon, approached Lord Shiva, who directed them to Sri Vishnu. There was a battle between Sri Vishnu and the demon and Sri Vishnu realized that a new weapon was needed to kill Muran. To rest and create a new weapon, Sri Vishnu retired to a cave for the goddess named Haimavati in Bhadrikashrama. When Muran tried to kill Sri Vishnu, who was sleeping, the female power that emerged from Sri Vishnu burned Muran with his eyes. Sri Vishnu, who was happy, named the goddess ‘Ekadashi’ and asked her to ask for a blessing. Ekadashi, on the other hand, begged Sri Vishnu that the people who observed the fast that day should be redeemed from their sins. Sri Vishnu thus declared that the people who observed the fast that day and worshiped Ekadasi, would reach Vaikuntha. Thus was born the first Ekadasi, which was a Dhanurmasa Shukla Paksha Ekadashi.

joylokhi likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

I was thinking of fasting when no food or snacks readily available . In the searing May heat of Chennai vegetables and fruits became scarce and whatever little reach market vanish in a jiffy though their rates skyrocketed.

I came across some articles about divine fasting and here I post an image of recent research vs Lord’s take on fasting.

10. Thyagarajan