1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spouse & I With Dad - A Surgical Operation

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:My post grad batch mate SLV now in Texas who himself is a writer on management themes and stories as well in English & TAMIL was telling some 50 years before that if I write it would be akin to R K Narayan. But I ignored. Now I began writing - you and another person writes that my stories have the shade of Malgudi author. I am dubious of my capacity to write like the author of the guide and the picture by dev Anand with w Rahman. Thanks for the nostalgia.
    2. Yes it was a great disappointment that my beloved Dad's centenary could not be celebrated. He never showed any signs of departure except ing he was fragile. He hardly visited hospital or taken any tablets on regular basis. His routine Chek up never showed any deviation from normal averages.
    Thanks for your wishes.
    REGARDS.
    GOD BLESS US all always.

indubalram and jskls like this.
  2. MadhuRK

MadhuRK Silver IL'ite

Dear @Thyagarajan

Tears welled-up in my eyes as I read this post. How blessed your father has been, taken care of so lovingly by his children.

Too young to bless but still filled with gratitude and humility on reading this essay. May you lead a blissful, healthy, happy life and always have peace of mind.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

:hello:
    Thanks from bottom of my heart for wishes & your reading of my dad who narrowly missed being a Centinarian. March is his mind’s month.
    He did a world of good to me and one such I narrated in
    Dad Is Dad, Son Is Son But Mom Is......
    Thanks & Regards.

4. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Sir, wonderful post and brought tears in my eyes. I can relate to all you said, my grandmom lived upto 100 and died 4 months after turning 100. She was well taken care by my parents, uncle etc. I really crave for those good old days where you are with parents and can take care of them, but with the current world, kids are all abroad somewhere including me and missing them. The life of yours and my parents feel like good old days, though outwardly it looks simple in a joint family set up, but to be cherished and treasured.

Another thing, you should write more, even in a serious subject, you bring out humor, everytime I read your post, i learn a word or 2, since I have to look up the dictionary.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello: Thanks for expressing your thoughtful heart-felt comments.

When you wrote “dictionary” I remember how my mom gave from LG Asafoetida yellow tin-box coins totalling to Rs4.50 which was sufficient for me to walk to Ranganathan street T Nagar From Triplicane in 1957-58 to acquire Lifco dictionary English-English-Tamil. The owner of Lifco was taken aback, when I told that I walked from Triplicane to avail the discount of eight Anna’s for that dictionary priced Rs5. He patted on my back and charged me only RS 4 and I saved another eight Anna’s on that day. Such was our penury during those days.

Feel greatly honoured with this accolade.
    As I approach 80, I find my butter-like fingers and slightly impaired vision hampers my passion for writing which I developed after my retirement and inspired by son’s writings.

I presume you had already enjoyed reading humour in links below:

Disintegration On National Integration Desideratum

A Date With Ekadasi Vradham(fast)

Thanks for this nostalgic info. My neighbour & generous class-mate in school sits next to me in the class would have in his half-pant pockets lots of munchings that includes coconut burphi and balls of groundnut dipped in jaggery. When I asked him how he got that much, he had responded it was all made by “great-grandmas”. When I visited his home same evening, I found two elderly ladies in their hall and i was astounded when my friend told that they are grand-mother of their Amma and appa & they are the makers of burphi and kadalai mithai and they are ninety plus.

Regards.
    God Bless.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello:@umaakumar
    Thanks for awarding a “Like” . I am glad after such long time this anecdote could draw even now attention of few senior and very senior fellow IL’ites.

I trust you are settled in Kerala and that at 6 am today you had awarded like to story of my Dad - getting into his last journey. I would have been doubly happy, had it been followed by your valuable comments.

I trust your next serial story is in the offing /pipe line.
    Regards.
    God Bless.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  7. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

dictionary - wow, that is amazing, those days children knew the hardships of parents and importance of money and were very understanding. The walk for the dictionary did pay off, otherwise we would not be seeing these great writings :)

my mom and dad used to say, they would read letters to the editor to learn english words and refer the dictionary.

My prayers your health, as you are getting to close to sadabhishegam age.

When you say coconut burfi, I can relate to my 101 year old grandmom, any good news or event, we will have either coconut burfi or therattipaal in the next hour or so.

Thanks for the links to the other threads, will definitely read it.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

:hello: I came here as i was immersed in thoughts of my dad. Why dad today. Today is dedicated to celebrate Fathers of the world

Dad has been instrumental in shaping many of my faculties. He took great care about my ear, when one doctor upon consultation stressed him for surgery. But he went to astrologer that impelled him to go to another ENT doctor who cured MY EAR PAIN with few drops .

Another FRCS doctor suggested to dad to have me undergo Tonsillectomy but Dad did not believe him. That was when i was twelve years WITH SEVERE THROAT INFECTION. Now approaching eighty my throat and voice is almost as good as Jesudas!

DAD WAS ALWAYS WISER BEFORE THE EVENT.

Storewel of Godrej was ordered and delivery to be effected in day. The driver and his helper arrived at ourdoorstep after sunset and it was dark. We had no electricity in that residence then. They were trying to unload and deliver. There was no land phones during those days. It was considered luxury. They insisted that we must take delivery otherwise it will not be delivered until following month.
    Dad strictly told that delivery can’t be taken in darkness. After protracted
    arguement they went away. Next day around noon, they came to deliver. Dad inspected storewell before it is unloaded from their truck. He found the door terribly hugely dented and lock was not opening with ease. He refused to take delivery. The entire cost of that storewell of ₹300 at that time was already paid. There were arguments. They insisted to take delivery and promised their engineer would come and repair. But dad is dad. Defective supply they can not pass it on in this manner. Aftera week perfect storewell was delivered.

But nowadays one can see by the time one realise his dad was always right, he has a son who easily find fault with his Daddy.

I wish on this special occasion fellow dads and dads-going-to -be in a while
    HAPPY FATHER’S DAY.

vidukarth and messedup like this.