1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Ailing Ukraine?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Feb 27, 2022.

1. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Actually the US government is not typically involved in directly evacuating its civilian citizens from conflict zones. Their priority is the embassy staff, employees working directly for the US government, military and the family members of all these personnel. They will issue alerts and warnings to make people leave when the situation starts sliding south but they usually do not organize charter planes and such.
    India organized those flights to bring home citizens who were stranded by Covid and also to repatriate their people from Afghanistan and now Ukraine, so they deserve credit for that.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Are there thousands of US students studying in Ukraine? US uses non-profit organization to do the evacuation they are well trained in these type of evacuation. When you have thousands of young students studying in Ukraine you should have acted immediately instead of sending memo.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

AW let us be fair even to THIS government. What else could do then? ORDER the students to quit Ukraine.? Do you think the students were going to listen? They were focussed on attendance. The least the government could have done was not to add those who left on their own after the advisory in February to its list of evacuees, boosting its score. Actually the government did not evacuate even a single individual. These starving , thirsty students undertook a painful trek to borders and were provided flights back home from the neighbouring countries.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Minion and indubalram like this.
  7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

If the Indian government was serious about the evacuation then they should have sent aircraft to all the large cities in Ukraine before the bombing started, that would send a message to the students that the situation is serious and most students would have left.

8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

The propaganda machinery is very strong they will use anything to get a vote.

9. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

A good thread has now been sabotaged by the modi hating guy.
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

indubalram likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I mock my senator all the time on social media everywhere. I did it on this thread too.

You are mixing different things. Free speech and the country’s dignity. It’s our job to critique the government and it’s policies. Why take any finger pointing at the PM or his policies personally? It’s not a blemish on the country, it’s a question on policy. Again, I do it all the time. Without fear of ramifications.

Which is why just because they are 18, they don’t get to be called “adults”. I have a kid who went through all these various stages. I know.
    First of all, India has always gone above and beyond to evacuate its citizens from war zones. You are right. The US govt doesn’t evacuate citizens the way the GOI does. Indians have been evacuated from Kuwait, Iran, Lebanon from the middle of war zones. We can make movies out of each of those efforts. Why NaMo ki Jai then? During an evac flight? Really? Why am I seeing pics of the PM being the bridge with his hands widespread and kids walking over from Ukraine to india? Isn’t it PR? I haven’t seen former PM’s raking personal PR from war zone evacuations which India has done in larger scales even before this PM. What’s wrong in the kids claiming propaganda?

If the image of india is being tarnished, it isn’t by the students. It’s by the people using their plight for publicity much to chagrin of the politicians of other countries actually involved in the rescue effort. It was very embarrassing to read one of the Romanian mayor’s opinion about Jyothiradhitya Scindia. It’s there on many news sites.

Absolutely. Commendable. Always. No Indian is left behind in a conflict zone. I don’t have the same confidence in the US govt. Regardless of who is at the helm in India, they will get you out.

satchitananda and Minion like this.