1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To Hijab Or Not To Hijab

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Feb 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Private schools each have the freedom to decide and enforce their uniform and dress codes. It is not so straight-forward for educational institutions funded or supervised by the government.
    One reason why this is happening could be that people of all religions are now more conscious about their identity and worried about it being taken away from them.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the legal angle Rihana. But the question arises :Has hijab been OFFICIALLY part of uniforms in government -run and govy-aided educational institutions or has it so far only been tolerated as part of our secular culture of tolerance and even acceptance? The school law will apply only if it is the former case. The way court judgements have gone against hijab I suspect it is latter.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Students denied entry to class for wearing Hijab
    College principal Rudra Gowda said the students can wear hijabs on the school premises, but not inside the classrooms. The rule is being followed to ensure uniformity in classrooms, he said.
    Another student said, “ Everything was fine before we started wearing the hijab, but now we are being discriminated in this manner.”

I thought the govt/school started to suddenly impose the hijab ban in the middle of the school year, after letting the girls wear it so far. Nope. The girls started wearing the hijab recently. One has to wonder what made 6 out of the 60 Muslim girls in the college to start wearing a hijab when they hadn't for so long?

The principal's explanation borders on reasonable? Allowed to wear hijab on campus but not inside classrooms? Maybe, the girls can be allowed to wear it inside the classroom if there is a male in the classroom?

Thyagarajan, Anisu and mbharani like this.
  4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

When you post a statement like this

TN is not as secular as you mentioned, i am brahmin. my spouse and i have faced lot of insulting comments a lot of times of the way we speak , eat and dress.

the media you are openly trusting, the same media insults lot of hindu cultures openly in movies and gets away .

my dh has had personal experience of his friends mocking him of wearing thread. my dh is very strong and he infact he beat up his friend real bad in college to the extent it went to suspension

And then when you are confronted with facts then you want to run away saying you don't want to be a keyboard warrior.

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa, the whokle affair reminds me of the Tamil saying "Maddalathukku rtendu pakkamum adi"(The drum gets beaten oon both siodes) This is the plight of these girls. The tragedy is neither parents, nor the educational authorities seem to care that the education opf these girls belonging to the minority community is going for a toss.

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Kudos. Interesting & incisive analysis by learned friend @Balajee . I enjoyed the satire-the sarcasm.

In swimming pool of five stars certain dress code to be followed. A woman seen in pool in her birth day suit. She was objected to earlier for entering the pool in her regular dress by supervisor. He told her that entry into pool with her wearing regular dress not allowed. Shocked by her nakedness he told her she must wear swimming suit. She retorted why he did not give her instruction properly instead of merely objecting.
    Why dress at all? Men & women born without any apparels? Imagine a world without dress or all textiles are banned? When cloth was not manufactured what was the equivalent of hijab that was used?
    Happy are the days of my schooling and college . Poverty aside, thanks to that era when there was no dress code no shoes or socks prevailed and even no chappal thanks to warmer climate in Chennai.
    At kanyakumari in a serpentine queue, family &I were waiting for our turn to darshan of kumari. A large family joined behind us. They were from a tyre 2 city. The senior man was carrying a bulging yellow bag . Few minutes of their joining the queue, a boy claiming to be a contractor to guard the FOOTWEAR outside the temple premise darted toward the queue and grabbed the bulging yellow bag from the man shouting at him that FOOTWEAR not allowed inside the shrine.
    In Padhbha Nama Swami temple at Trivandrum, I was insisted to enter with bare chest wear only dhothi and angavasthiram wrapped around the waist. I had to hire that formal attire while upon return from sanctum, custodian of my dress reported that my brand new trousers and shirt lost that put me in tight spot.

A minister in Chennai was not permitted to enter a certain elite club in his traditional attire which consists of wearing dhothi -slack shirt - and a thin black -red bordered towel over shoulder and bare foot. The matter turned into a debate in press and media and then eventually court had intervened and decided the issue in favour of the petitioner-minister.

Dress code in public places ...is it required to promote religion or politics or once dogma...

The nation wasting her energies & time on Pseudo issues, halting progress in various spheres in one form or another.

Personally I feel most befitting of times is to ban all dress!

Let it be academic or in university.
    Protect fabric of the nation instead fabric of cover!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    mbharani, Anisu and vrikshakadali like this.
  7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Don't you see the pattern

Currency devaluation - overnight
    Lockdown - overnight

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Anisu @vrikshakadali thanks for like clicked here before I did edit my response a bit now.

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Tyagu sir, you are going real deep into the question asking why dress at all ? But as the Tamil saying goers AaL PADHI AADAI PADHI ( r%LOUGHLY translated Clolthes maketh man). The legendar5y Italian poet Dante once went to an aristocrat's banquet dressed in ordinary clothes and was anot allowed to enter the house by the guards. He went back and returned draped in finery and the guards bowed before him. As the banquwt started Dante rubbed food a,ll over his dress. When asked the reason for his behaviour he quipped "Obviously the invitation is for my dcress so I am feeding it because when I came in huymble attire I was not allowed". But here it is not just about dress but about how religious tug-of-war can blight the future of students, particularly those belonging to minority community.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Its an evident known fact that the ruling party in TN is against the brahmin clan since the party launch in 60's. This was taught by EVR and is still promoted and practised by the ruling party. There are endless episodes as how brahmins as mistreated/disrespected in tamilnadu for decades and the thread was torn off or forcibly ripped off!! Very recently the government appointed priests to temple and let go forcibly people who were priests for long years!

My comment is not about the OP, but TN is painting a secular look, but brahmins are oppressed, made fun of and disrepected!

I am not going to reply for any comments you may have minion, but its important that you make full research about anything you post!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.