1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Coelho Fan!

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by vidyasarada, Jan 5, 2007.

1. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Thanx for the post Sridhar, a pleasure sparring with u !
    I was not implying that Kannadasan lifted the lyrics lock,stock and barrel from some old poet . He had enough talent to last four lifetimes and to spare, thank you, and dint need to pilfer intellectual property. ( MSV has reminisced that the man was so awesome that he could supply 3 or 4 different pallavis to a given note within 15 mins ! ) It is imperative that a lyricist writes apt lines to fit the scene in a film , thats commonsense after all. It would be foolish to lift whole songs from some crumbling palm- leaf and thrust them into celluloid sequences , without sync, just because they sound nice. The idea i was trying to put across in my last post was that songwriters ( according to that interview) were not averse to dipping into the vast treasury of old tamil writings to fish out phrases , lines ( punchline, as they say now ?) imagery and structure that could be woven into their very own imaginative output, as required . So while the rest of the song had the necessary reference to the scene at hand, one line or phrase could be borrowed as an embellishment. And this Irukkum- idathai- blah-blah line was one such borrowed ornament. Satti Suttadhadaaa was another ( according to writer Sujatha), i forget the alleged source. K.Dasan has used "Un Kannil Neervazhindaal" for Prestige Padmanabhan to commiserate with his weeping wife, though Bharatiyar was cuddling his chinnanchiru kili with the same.

There's a nice romantic P.B Srinivas song "Kalangalil Aval Vasantham...." The pallavi part is structured on one of Krishna's revelations in The B.Gita and the songman's genius lies in acknowledging this fact by using the original's exact wording to end it: Madhangalil Margazhi. ( Sridhar, i have to admit here that i am not sure if this particular song is by K.Dasan or Vali or someone else, whoever it was, O podu !)
    Sorry if i have degressed too much and tested yr. patience , But thats that !
    Bye
    Rgds.
    Vs

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Awesome, VS!

Really awesome, VS, your reply. Now I am not entering into the controversy part. Let that rest.
    The way you described, the instances you quoted and your love for songs and literature, and to crown all your inimitable writing style. VS, I am bowled over. May you always be blessed.
    Now it is not fair to discuss this here while talking about Paulo Coelho. So, why don't you start a thread on old Tamil songs. We can discuss to our hearts content.
    Incidentally kalangalil aval vasantham is kannadasan's and as you have rightly pointed out the song is lifted substantially from Vibhooti yoga in bhagavat gita. In fact mathangalil aval margazhi is almost a translation of maasanam aham margasheershaanam from BG.
    Nice to know you and nicer still interacting with you,
    sridhar

3. vidyasarada

Rightoh Sridhar !

I agree it isnt't fair to poach on a Coelho thread to conduct a debate about tamil film songs. Let us peacefully retire with our respective three-legged rabbits and start a new thread which may perhaps attract more contributors.
    At the risk of sounding like a saccherine mutual admiration society, let me end this by saying: its been nice knowing and interacting with you too Sridhar.
    Rgds
    VS

4. vidyasarada

Like The Flowing River

Hi all
    I finally finished the book- Like The Flowing River.
    Halfway through it I realised it could not be read like a storybook, in one go. So I kept it on my bedside and now and then, took in a page or two, giving myself enough time to explore the ideas. One Mysore-Pak at a time from the sweetbox !

While reading, I kept getting the sense of Deja-vu. Coelho has pretty much recycled his ideas and sentiments from other books. Still, like the repetitive insistence of mantras, his insights sink in level by level. He has admitted that each of his books describe a process of answering his own questions, the process excites him as it leads to self discovery. This book revels in such self discovery.
    He has selected instances and " processes " that have to do with normal,mundane living and not those dealing with philosophical speculations. So it is not heavy reading or too taxing .

The small stories are simple and elegant. Like the story of the Old Woman's pencil. And of the Rose waiting for the bees. I sort of liked the idea that "when we can do nothing else, we can still love without expecting anything in return."

Quintessential Coelho.

Vidyasarada

5. varalotti

Got the Book VS!

Thanks a lot for the post. I got the book today. Only thing is that I have to squeeze reading it between my tight, writing, reading and posting (IL) schedules. But after reading your review I am giving top priority to that.
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Dear VS,
    A few minutes back I completed reading the book Like the Flowing River. Every chapter is a lesson in life, a study of the human mind and a tribute to human love. And I love the final chapter, Some Final Prayers, and I love this prayer lifted from Dhammapada the most:

It would be better if instead of a thousand words,
    There was only one, a word that brought Peace
    It would be better if instead of a thousand Poems,
    There was only one, a poem that revealed true beauty
    It would be better if instead of a thousand songs,
    There was only one, a song that spread Happiness

I would like to add:
    It would be better if instead of a thousand religions
    There was only one, a religion that taught nothing but love
    It would be better if instead of a hundred nations
    There was only one one, a nation in which people lived in harmony
    It would be better if instead of a thousand tongues,
    There was only one, a tongue that expressed love!

Thanks VS for suggesting this book. I lived with that book all these days.
    regards
    sridhar

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  7. vidyasarada

Dear Sridhar
    I was touched that you should have taken the trouble to thank me for suggesting a book.
    Your additional verses to the Dhammapada prayer carry the true yearnings of every sensitive humanbeing , fed up of the constant strife fuelled by just a handful of misguided bigots.
    Its like John Lennon's iconic "Imagine". Please accept my best wishes on penning a gem.

VS

8. Dierdre

Dierdre New IL'ite

The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho

Who is Athena? The orphan abandoned by her gypsy mother in Transylvania. The child taken to Beirut by her adoptive parents. The clerk working in a large bank in London. The successful real estate agent in Dubai. The priestess of Portobello Road. Athena is the main character in The Witch of Portobello. Her story is told by the people who knew her, amongst them, her adoptive mother, a journalist researching vampirism, a priest, a teacher of calligraphy, and an
    actress. They each draw a different facet of her character, describing what they saw and experienced as well as their own impressions, beliefs and anxieties.
    For some weeks now Paulo Coelho has been posting chapters from the book on his blog.

Tens of thousands of people have already visited Paulo Coelho Blog in order to follow Athena’s story and, if they wish, to leave their comments afterwards. By the launch date, Paulo will have posted almost one third of the book.

it's simply wonderful!!!! :p

9. vidyasarada

Dear Dierdre
    Thank you for posting that info.
    Will check it out.
    Vs

10. lavanya_28

lavanya_28 Silver IL'ite

Hi Illites,

I am reading Paul Coelho's "The Alchemist" and i have started to like this book. I would like to read his other books and would like to know where i can download free e-books from this author. Please let me know.

Thanks!
    Lavanya