Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia

Discussion in 'New to KL' started by t_sireesha04, Sep 22, 2008.

1. t_sireesha04

t_sireesha04 Junior IL'ite

Hi ,

I am Indian from hyderabad.Recently my husband got offer at kaula lampur .So we are thinking to come to Malaysia. So Please Please can any one tell me

1. What is the cost of living in Kaula Lampur ? (House Rent, maintainence bills (electricity,gas etc) and grocessories for a family of three)

2. Are there english medium schools for kids ? What would be the fees
    for the school.

2. MeghaCahali

MeghaCahali New IL'ite

3. spoorthib

spoorthib New IL'ite

Hellol,

I am spoorthi. I am also planning to shift to KL shortly, as my husband will be in new job there.I have done my masters in dentistry n expecting a baby soon. This is all about me.

I wanted to know info about living cost in KL,house rents, insurances, medical facilities and so on.Any suggestions or ur opinions are welcomed.

If you get any info plz do share with me.

Thanks n will be waiting for ur reply.

Spoorthi.

4. eshaa

eshaa New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I'm Eshaa from Kuala Lumpur. Maybe i can give some idea abt Kuala Lumpur. Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur(KL) is consider high compared to other states in Malaysia. But i think its a normal scenario for all the capital city. To answer your questions.

House rent- medium appartment -RM600-RM1000, Condominium- Above RM1000 depents on your affordability and the location.

Maintainence bills- electricity, water, tv, cell phone will come abt RM150 per month (my own situation- 2 person)

Public Transportation - komuter train, LRT, Monorail, taxi, bus, train,
    air travel-airasia.

Insurance - you can get all type of insurance here, just name it..
    Education - International school for expatriates childrens. I saw one at Brickfields KL for Indian expatriates childrens.

I guess this info maybe can give you some idea abt KL. I can say that you ladies wont feel isolated in KL as there a lot of indians in Malaysia. There a are lot more infomation in websites.

Regards
    Eshaa

1 person likes this.
  5. ram068

ram068 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Kuala Lumpur got English medium international schools but they are quite expensive. Condominium (3 rooms fully furnished) rate is above RM1500. Electricity might come to an average of RM175 monthly. Indian meals, groceries easily available at affordable prices in Brickfields area and in most hypermarkets.

6. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Cost of living in KL

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding cost of living in KL. My brother -in-law has got a offer to work in KL.he is a bachelor can anyone tell how much monthly income is needed to stay in Kl and cover expenses like housing,transport,food and other expenses.

I would also like to know if anyone has about this company called Maxis Comm i beleive it is mobile service provider, if it has good reputation as we don't know anybody in malayasia so we r not in a position to enquire all these things. i would be very grateful if anyone could let me know the details.

Thanks in advance

7. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Re: Cost of living in KL

hi all,

if anyone can give me any info it will be very helpful.

thanks in advance

8. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Ramya,
    Cost of living in KL depends on the area you live & your style of living. Even if you are shoe string in budget, you need at least RM 3000-4000. Maxis comm is mobile service company & is fairly good company. It will be convenient it your brother has a car- easyto move around.
    1 room rent - 500- 600 (one room only)
    Food - Rm 500 (v.simple)
    Transport - RM 500
    Provisions & personal expense - RM 500
    Petrol and misc- RM 500
    This is not based on lavish style.
    Jaya

9. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Jaya,

Thanks a lot. The company is providing a fully furnished apartment and a car to my brother-in-law for travel from home to office and other official purposes and i think he will be able to manage food also by cooking himself.So Rm 3000-4000 should be sufficient and may be he can manage to save a little.
    thanks a lot as what u have said would enable us to decide if he can take the offer.

thanks once again

10. Neelimakotwani

Neelimakotwani New IL'ite

Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur

Dear Friends,

I have joined the club recently. I am a house wife and my husband is an IT professional. We are not having any kids yet but planning for one. My husband has got a job in KL and the salary range is between 10K to 11K MYR per month. We checked online and found that the tax rate is between 14%-18%. I have some queries about cost of living in KL as I need to manage the finances. I see that we already have some posts with similar questions but the information seem to be a little bit out dated. May I please request all my friend living in KL to please help me with the below queries:

1) We will be looking preferably for a fully furnished 1 BHK or 2BHK flat. Please guide about the rental range for this kind of flat.
    2) What will be monthly bill for the utilities like electricity, water, cooking gas, mobile phone and internet?
    3) What will be the monthly grocery expenses for 2 with primarily vegetarian food?
    4) We assume that the traveling cost will not be more than 100 MYR for daily office travel. Please correct us if we are wrong.

Request you all to help in this regard.

With Love,
    Neelima Kotwani.