1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Help Your Kid To Talk In Ur Mother/native Language .. Any Suggestions Pls..

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by gknew, Aug 22, 2017.

1. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

kindly inform them ur preferences that since he is familiar with ENGLISH , HE WILL CONTINUE THIS FOR NOW, HE WILL SLOWLY PICK UP UR MOTHER TONGUE.

gknew likes this.
  2. harithab

harithab Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Could u update how is ur son doing with his speech ?
    I m in the same situation as u explained in the original post !

3. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Going to offer different trajectory

I had similar situation. Dr told my parents learn one language only, hence English

Parents figured I can learn mother - tongue later in life.

Later in life, I was insulted and treated very bad by our own people.

When I try to teach myself my mother tongue
    1. I grasp very quick. It is the easiest language I can learn
    2. I feel like vomiting because of all the bad memories and years of trouble it caused.
    3. I stopped teaching myself my mother-tongue

Your son has his whole life ahead of him. Encourage him to study, grow, etc.

Give him lot of love and protect him from rotten relatives.

Show him the beauty of Tamil and the Tamil people and one day, he will learn the language on his own.

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Keep talking to him in your mother tongue even when he doesn't reply. He will speak when he is ready. Don't force it.
    Don't take criticism from in-laws/family in India by heart. You are doing the best for your child. you know him the best.

My children don't speak Hindi. However, they do understand and can explain by using words (can't string a full sentence in Hindi). My family also used to complain but I am firm with them that you need to help the kids learn instead of mocking them. Hindi is not my children's first language and it is not easy for them to speak in it. We also don't have any Hindi-speaking friends around us and my husband also doesn't speak the language so all they get exposed to is me speaking to them.