Integrity Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SGBV, Jan 23, 2022.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear all,

I have briefly worked for an agency from September - November 2021, and formally quit my job on 30th Nov 2021 before I moved out of the country on 1st Dec 2021 and eventually joined this new organization.
    I gave my resignation formally through official e-mail, by giving 30 days notice and it was accepted by the management. Even though they requested me to reconsider, but I have given them the reason for the resignation.
    As agreed, I have submitted my handing-over note and assisted my subordinate to take up on the most pressing tasks until my successor joins the unit.

Since I joined this new office, I had to switch my official e-mails to the new one, and stopped checking on the old official e-mails (assuming they will be eventually deactivated).

On 3rd Dec, the HR of the former office requested me the resignation letter. I forwarded the one which i sent them a month back, indicating the dates and all. There was no communications after that.

In late December, I received a salary from the former employer. It was credited to my Sri Lankan bank account and I do not have access to that account from abroad anymore.
    Since I do not have access, I hardly check the balance of all my Sri Lankan banks either.

When I realized this by mid Jan 2022, I thought it must be the resettlement allowance - which is more or less equivalent to one month salary and I am eligible to receive that amount as an outgoing staff member.

But today, when I happen to check my Sri Lankan bank I was surprised to see some good amount of $ credited, apparently from the same employer on Thursday. It was some 2000$ more than the monthly salary.

Out of curiosity, when I checked my employment portal on-line, it shows I am still working there.
    I notified this to the HR right away, but there is no response from them. Apparently my official e-mail account of the former employer is deactivated; hence I communicated with them through my personal e-mail ID.

Chances are that:-
    - It was a mistake, and the system still counts me as an employee and generates my salary/allowances etc...
    - There was a salary increase effective from September 2021, but it wasn't realized until I resigned. Perhaps, they calculated the amount and sent me what I deserved.
    - Like the resettlement allowance, perhaps there could be other allowances for the outgoing staff member which I am not aware of
    - The HR doesn't prioritize e-mails from external accounts, so my notification of the bank credits haven't reached their attention.

I don't want to enjoy double salary, and feel it is an integrity issue if I keep silence about it.
    But, I don't know how to take actions other than informing HR and the management about this.

I have done my part by issuing resignation letters, notifying HR and all. I have copies with me.
    Do I need to bother about the system or the responsible staff's negliance again and again?
    Because I am very busy here at my new office and I seldom check my personal e-mail or bank account from the native country.

It is necessary to take action through the bank? Is it necessary to inform the HR one last time?
    Will it make the HR staff's life in trouble? Will her negliance cause her job? Is it why she is silent and perhaps she will take the necessary action soon?
    Will they force me to pay back the money? If so, I will be in trouble as I have no access to that account and not enough sum in my new bank (in this foreign country) to do the needful?

Will it cause trouble to my present work, because both agencies are related though the salary comes from different organizations.

I casually consulted with my friends here, and they said you have lost so much money unreasonably in this new country in the name of property rent, and vehicle (Unreasonable as we've got cheated, and realized later) and receiving some money unreasonably to balance what you've gone though. So leave it for sometimes as you don't know what exactly it is.

But I feel, like I am confused and need your opinions. Any advice ?

Caide likes this.

2. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

You have formally given resign followed by accept and you have checked with them regarding the amount too. So , no need to worry as you have proof for it.

I have some doubts on this and can you check the same?

1. Is there any option to check payslip of that month?
    2. Is it your gratuity amount with salary?
    3. Any pf form did you signed? If so check with your pf account number for any debit and settlement to your account
    4. Is the salary credit description has your name/employee code? If you are doubtful double check it once
    5. If the raised salary is not credited then on calculating is it the amount been extra credited?

And if you are scared for further credits, you can ask bank to credit freeze your account ( but no credits can be given it from any accounts) . If you are ok with it you can do that. It is not that useful to approach Bank for this issues(other than credit freeze) because it's the organisation who is crediting the amount.

Its good to know you are having a feel of integrity issue.not everyone does that. Since you have proofs don't be scared of organisations .

Better notify them one last time, if still this month you received the amount, notify them again by month start.(if it is your settlement amount they won't recredit again). Try to get HR number to talk officially.

Try to get net banking for old account ma. It will b useful even if it is for not this issue.

Thoughtful likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your response. I have online banking for my Sri Lankan bank account, but i don't find it necessary to check that often as i have no access to that money from abroad (dur to recent banking regulations).

I don't receive pay slips anymore as they usually send them to the official e mail account, which is deactivated now.

I don't suspect the creding agency as it clearly indicates my former office name & my personal details in the inward remittances.

The office wasn't from Sri Lanka but from another country and i only tele worked so no further interactions with the team than e mail communication. I don't have HR number to make calls from here.

I notified once again with the resignation note and no response as yet

Caide likes this.
  4. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

First, I appreciate your integrity. This is bothering you enough and you want to do the right thing and hence have posted the question here, well done.

My humble opinion is that you should call the HR. Just like in case they wouldn't have paid the money, we would have chased them, we should also be quick about clarifying their mistake here. Maybe that's all you need, clarification and there is a good reason for what has been done and possibly it was done correctly.

From our side, taking this extra step to be integral will make sure we can hold our head high.

If email to one person doesn't work, I would call and try to reach folks through other means. Get it done quickly and get this out of the way so it doesn't consume more of your time or your head space.

Good Luck!

5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Ah, my bad. I should have read this response before jumping in and repeating lot of the advice.

Caide likes this.
  6. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

@SGBV
    If u want Open a nro account after getting details from bank it will of use for you.

From next time keep one copy of payslip for your own reference ma

Wait till this month end if salary get credited again. Try to reach them again. Rest is their wish

7. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

No no nothing as such :beer-toast1:
    We shared our views

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Thoughtful likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing your thoughts friends.

Let me clarify a few points here:

1. The office is from an east Asian country, and due to on going political issues the entire organization is tele working. Meaning, we staff from different countries worked from home virtually.
    So, the office land line won't be functional.

2. I do not have the the particular HR staff's personal mobile or WhatsApp no. To be honest, i didn't look deep into searching for her contact.
    Her official mobile number which appears in the organizations' staff page isn't working as she is already out of the country.

3.So, all i have right now is her official e- mail address, the functional HR unit's e mail, and the employment portal - where i can record my details. I've contacted via all these lines, a few times.

4. There is no point in opening a $ account or Non residents account in Sri Lanka, as i have both & the government decree doesn't allow access/financial transaction from abroad.
    However, i have opened a bank account in my country of residence and it is more convenient for now.

5. Payslips comes to the official e mail address and the account is now deactivated upon my resignation. So not sure where it is gone now. In fact, salaries shouldn't be coming as i no longer work there. But there are possibilities of allowances which i am not fully aware of. These are the practical issues of tele working.

As many said, i shall wait till end of next month for more clarity

Caide likes this.
  9. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

@SGBV
    Its shocking to c , non access for international financial transactions

Don't worry ma,as you have recorded everything don't worry too much about it

Letc wait till next month

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Keep the money separate until you sort the issue out. It looks like a bureaucratic mistake by your former employer. If it was an actual bonus they would have let you know. Maintain copies of all communications you send regarding this matter.
    My guess is that once the right people get involved this will be sorted out quickly. My employer has been known to go after overpayments quite vigorously, even when the mistake is clearly theirs. I would assume that someone will eventually contact you.

Caide likes this.