1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Special Birthday :)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Jan 18, 2022.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is the first time I am with my family to celebrate my birthday since 1999.

I remember, birthdays were always special at my parents' home. The mental celebrations start days before the actual birthday, as everyone would be thinking, speaking and planning for the big day in advance.
    Mom would make my special birthday dress, while dad would buy some western outfits, so that I would have a couple of dresses for the day.
    My grand ma, uncles, and cousins would buy some or the other gifts as per my demands, and all would be wrapped in colorful papers to be presented during the party.

Cakes, sweets, cutlets and some snacks would be prepared jointly by mom and grandma as per their expertise and our aunts would bring some sweets for their turn too.

The house, especially the party hall would be decorated by my uncles and older cousins with crepe papers, balloons and stuff and the entire arrangement would make me feel like a queen on my birthday.

Birthdays were always special, and I still cherish those warmth and love from everyone on my birthdays.

But, I had to move out of the country for studies in 2000, and that was my first birthday alone. For the next couple of years, either I would be travelling or living in abroad but never was with my family to celebrate my birthday.

Those lone birthdays would bring back the nostalgic memories of home; hence I would miss my family so much on birthdays.
    This is why I used to keep my birthdays low profile, and mostly spend this day in silence whenever I am away from family.

After studies, my career has taken me to places, and sadly I've never been home during my birthdays. Thanks to the long Christmas holidays! I can't think of planning another long vacation in January to fly back home after taking prolonged holidays during Christmas.

And for those who wonder why I hadn't taken my family along to the work station/country, my old threads and the family politics in them would tell you the reasons. I've had it enough :(

Last year, I was supposed to be home on my birthday, because I was working from home due to pandemic. But, unfortunately, I had to attend to an important meeting in a hotel some 3 hrs away from home that day. Again, I missed my birthday.

I still celebrate everyone's birthdays at home. My kids get a lavish party. My husband and mom too cut their birthday cakes, gets presents and what not. We post all those pics in FB, and receive blessings from everyone. But, not for me sadly :(

Today, almost after 22 years, I am here celebrating my 40th birthday with family. It feels like the end of those 20 odd years of "vanavasam" (Dwelling in forest like Lord Rama) in my life.

We are here today as family, and the essence of my birthday has started a week before. My mom has started making my dress (thanks to her mini sawing machine), H bought me the party outfit and kids have started shopping to chose my birthday gifts.

Though I miss my siblings, I have got some wonderful colleagues and apartment buddies to attend to the birthday party my H has organized for me here.

But come on.... I hate the number 40. I feel like I am getting old at last.
    I am one of those blessed souls with no greys and better looks for the age. No one would be thinking I am 40 already, and I regret to reveal this mystery to the world.

Anyways, wish me luck friends....

One day, you will be at a place you always wanted to be :)

MalStrom, Amica, Rihana and 3 others like this.

2. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

Wish you many more happy returns of the day. It really means a lot to spend time with whole family. As you said it's been ages since I have celebrated my birthday with my whole family. Glad you have celebrated together and wishing for it to continue the same.

And age is just a number.

SGBV, anika987 and Amica like this.
  3. Madhurima21

Madhurima21 Gold IL'ite

Wishing you a very happy and memorable birthday.... Stay blessed as always...

SGBV, anika987 and Amica like this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Happy birthday @SGBV! May you celebrate many more birthdays surrounded by your loved ones. :dev14:

SGBV likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Many more Happy Returns of the day!!:dev14:

SGBV likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@SGBV,

Many more happy returns of the day. I am glad you were able to spend time with your family for your special birthday. 40 is a milestone to celebrate with a recall of all you could accomplish up to now and look forward to many more going forward. When one has the energy to look forward to a great professional work, one forgets the age, especially if there is peace at home. Good luck for a bright future ahead.

SGBV likes this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks everyone for the likes and wonderful birthday wishes. I am overwhelmed :)
    Thanks a lot for nominating this thread for the FP contest

Rihana and Caide like this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Happy birthday @SGBV! What a lovely way to ring in a new decade!
    Join the club 40!
    The 4th decade is the best. We know who we are- confident in our skin and ready to take on the world (still young enough to not get tired while taking on the world :))

SGBV likes this.