1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cast-iron Pans - Seasoning And Usage Tips?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by startinganew, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So, after each time meat is cooked in the pan, wash it with soap and scotch-brite (green abrasive side). Dry on the stove. Apply oil after to keep it well seasoned. Is that the sequence to follow?

Next question - isn't it too much work to maintain the skillet? Even more so as it cannot be left unwashed and soaking overnight? Add to that a porcelain kitchen sink that gets scratched easily.

Another question - some articles say never to use soap. How does only warm water (and salt?) take away the meat stuff? I can imagine making dosas and not using soap after that. But after shallow frying chicken or fish, how can the skillet be cleaned without soap?

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes!

Initially, yes! Over time, the skillet gets well seasoned with the oils in the food and stops getting rusty. I have been able to leave it for the morning. I usually add some water and put it on the stove for the caked up masalas to come unstuck easily. I don’t let it sit in water overnight. I also don’t have to dry it fully and apply oil etc once it’s well seasoned.

Just replaced my SS sink with porcelain because of the scratches and hard water spots!

The articles say not to use soap because it removes the oil that the pan needs to get well seasoned. I can’t clean without soap. I think applying oil after drying it off should be good!

Rihana likes this.
  3. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

My one tip is dry cast-iron pans immediately with a paper towel. And apply seasame oil generously on both sides.

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Laks. I will bravely use soap. : )

This Covid WFH has given an "opinionated co-sister" of sorts. After years of independence in the kitchen, I have to share the kitchen counter and cabinet space. One time I used the skillet, washed it carefully, and wiped with paper towel. Got an earful that the paper towel leaves lint on it.

If it weren't so heavy I would just get one to use for myself. This sharing kitchen stuff with others is so hard. Especially if they are occasional cooks and who occupy the kitchen for three hours to cook one dish. And another hour to clean up. And then retire to the sofa like soldiers returning from a long fought battle.

5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

i always used to soap wash( by hand) my iron skillet. Somehow idea of not using soap did not work with me. Yes It would rust. Now lately my H interfered with kitchen cooking and somehow started loving iron skillet for cooking. So he handles iron dishes and never washes or let me soap wash. He always keep it greased.

6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

irony and amazing, sometimes we are thinking of something it comes in some way. i was thinking to buy and was worried about the same question. thank you all.

Question: Can i use it to make tomato's based stuff, like rasam, chutney. i read it is not good to use acidic coooking.

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

This one bought smile on my face after few painful and stressful weeks!!

Rihana likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes you read it right. Please don’t use any iron utensils for cooking tomato dishes

9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I have in a variety of sizes, about 4 cast iron dosa pans, 2 sheet iron dosa pans, 4 cast iron kadais, 3 sheet iron kadais and 2 cast iron paniyaram pans and 2 sheet iron paniyaram pans - apart from the good old "Hindalium" kadais and stainless steel kadais and pans...

Yes, I use all of them!
    I'm pure veg, so I use them all only for roast vegetables and dosas and paniyarams, 1 pan is exclusive for chapatis I dont use for dosas. Although I use do use the sheet metal dosa pans sometimes for parathas

I dont use the iron pans for sambar or gravy or dal or watery sabji - or even if I ever need to use it, I remove it while hot and then wash and wipe the pan immediately - but I cannot handle hot pans easily, so I avoid it!

Cast iron pans each of them are not less than 3-4 kg... so I prefer not to touch it when still hot. Even cool and empty, I can handle them safely at the kitchen platform level only, so my maid or husband or son set it on the stove for me...

After cooking, I leave the sabji on it till it is warm, remove the sabji and leave the pan on the stove itself... Same with the dosa & paniyaram pans

Whenever the maid cleans the kitchen, she washes with normal soap and water - she knows to keep it separately so that it doesnt fall on anyone, and drains off the water on a wire rack - my bigger sink is outside in the balcony so the water dries off pretty fast

During covid, when the maid wasnt coming, I was washing all the other vessels, but I am too clumsy to handle the heavy cast iron with soap/water, so my husband or son would wash it - with soap, scrubber and water - and keep it at the platform height for me to process further..

Usually, if I see any slight sign of rust showing, I would immediately wash it, heat away all the water and oil it generously and keep it on heat till the oil gets breaks down ... and leave it till it cools down.

Otherwise it is once a year seasoning - I take out all the iron ones (all 20+) once a year - I dont allow anyone in the kitchen, heat each one, then brush oil on it and heat till the oil breaks down and then switch off - and move it on top of a tissue paper kept on the kitchen platform - till the last 4 those I leave on the stove - the next day cleaning the stove is a pain, but clumsy me dont want to handle hot oily heavy pans

I have all the ones my mom gave me as well as the ones I bought - all are in pristine condition, well seasoned and they produce awesome roasts, dosas and rotis

I hope this helped...

Keep smiling :)
    HR