1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just Show Up!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I know that my regular instructor won’t be there and hoping that a sub will be there, I show up only to find my fellow spinners without an instructor at the gym. We all start spinning at our own pace, doing our own thing in a brightly lit room without music at 5.30 in the morning versus an intense, dark room with loud music! As the minutes tick by, the others leave the room every 5 mins or so and then there was me, the lone man, yes woman standing, intent on completing the 45 mins work out with the same intensity. I am surprised with my own motivation and the intensity of the workout – is it me, is it the spinning, is it the instructor or is it the habit? As I wipe the bike down thinking thus, I am glad I just showed up.

I am on my morning walk. I run into a neighbor walking her dog and stop to chit chat with her. Her dog approeches me albeit timidly and after I give her some time, I stand up to hear the neighbor say that she is surprised that her dog let me pet her and gives a background story. After assuring her that I am dog person, I ask her how her Christmas was to which she repsonds describing all the ordeal she has gone through the season. I am only grateful that I could at least lend her an ear and she seemed to feel better just sharing. I am glad I just showed up for that walk.

I find it strange that as the weather gets colder, I seem to enjoy these walks more. Did I say colder? Well, it is warmer than usual for this time of the year, birds are chirping. I find it even stranger to hear so much of chiping sound around me – it is usually the slippery roads or the crunching of ice under the boots as we walk during this time of the year. This certainly is unusal chirping for the year, as are the tempeartures. I cannot help but just conclude that the birds are only communicating their confusion to one annother – to build a nest or not, to migrate or stay! I am simply glad that I just showed up to hear them.

I come home, browsing through the social media, I come across this and I am glad I just showed up at the right time to read this message.

upload_2022-1-4_14-34-8.png

"Say, Pooh, why aren't you busy?" I said.
    "Because it's a nice day," said Pooh.
    "Yes, but ---"
    "Why ruin it?" he said.
    "But you could be doing something Important," I said.
    "I am, " said Pooh.
    "Oh? Doing what?"
    "Listening," he said.
    "Listening to what?"
    "To the birds. And that squirrel over there."
    "What are they saying?" I asked.
    "That it's a nice day," said Pooh.
    "But you know that already," I said.
    "Yes, but it's always good to hear that somebody else thinks so, too," he replied.
    - From the Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

Even as I type this message despite a bright sun shining on our 23 for high day, we are anticipating some snow for the latter half of the week, and I hope the snow decides to simply just show up!!

Scorpio707, radv, mangaii and 7 others like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    Listening to people or nature or birds is a great quality. Listening to people gives them an outlet and in that process they find out solutions to their problems and stream line their thoughts. That is what my niece who is a counsellor says. Birds chirping, nature's melodies make the listener happy.
    All in all you had a good day both as a listener to your neighbour and you listened and enjoyed the talking of birds among themselves.
    Pooh conversation is excellent!!!!
    Syamala

Srama likes this.
  3. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,

I read your post with a smile. Listening to the sounds of nature while on a walk, reflecting on your own self while on the bike, relating with Pooh's words - it is all so you.:)

// I find it strange that as the weather gets colder, I seem to enjoy these walks more. //

Now, that I cannot relate with. How do you manage to suit up to go out in cold weather? As the temperature drops, I seem to go from sitting to leaning to curling into a fetal position - all while wrapping myself with a soft cuddly blanket. :D

Srama and radv like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

I usually et out on a walk to clear my head. Thankfully, unlike some I cannot have head phones on. Even if I didnot pay attention, nature has a way of holding my attention!
    If I can stop and listen to someone else who wants to share, it makes me happier. With the weather only getting worse, I know it will be hard to find a soul outside even if I went searching! So a good day brings about activity, like it should.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Meena,

Your presence is a whiff of fresh air and I am so glad to be able to laugh a little as I read your snippets. Humor you know is so important. Yes, situation is not the same and we are all scrambling around trying to hang on to that thread of normalcy or whatever is left of it. But when I pause, I realize how little I laugh! So thank you for bringing that and thank you for your words here :)
    Truth be told Meena, suiting up is not the problem. Coming home and taking the layers off is!! All I want to do curl up and sleep but you know, day calls!
    So eseentially I do wnat to do the same as you and do it many a time :) but all that running no matter the weather with the group has made 'this' me and to be honest I do have a couple of friends and neighbors who are going thorugh a tough time (healthwise) and have a walking regimen - I try to walk with them as they talk!

And Meena, please accept my heartfelt condolences - I read elasewhere about your father. Hugs to you, my friend! I will be in touch.