substitute for coconut??

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by aswini, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Thanks guys !!!

will give it a try soon and come back with the FB :)

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

I love making avial using 75% carrots and 25% coconuts as per Chitvish. It is awesome and this is the only way I like avial nowadays.
    I also make chutney using tofu and pottukadalai. I powder the pottukadalai first and green chilies and then lastly add the tofu to give a spin.

3. vidhu63

vidhu63 Gold IL'ite

Hi Guys,

It's really interesting. Surprise to me. I also didn't know we can use carrot instead of coconut. In avial as u said Usha if we add more carrot won't it change the colour of avial.

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Vidhu, yes. It changes the color, but the taste is awesome.

5. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Usha, same pinch for chutney ;-)

I make pottu kadalai chutney with very little or sometimes no coconut. It tastes out of the world. I roast pottu kadalai a bit to get a nice aroma and taste.

For sambar, I mostly increase other things and cutdown coconut by a 1x1 piece.

For burfi's you can add nut powder (roast almonds, cashew etc) and substitute for half of coconut.

For kurmas, I use lite coconut milk (again its just 1/4th of saturated fat)

Anything in moderation is good, that includes coconut too, unless someone is diabetic, :my2cents

-Uma

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    good tips to avoid coconut. Being a coconut lover and now not able to use, I too try different ways to make dishes without coconut. I am trying out the kootu powders etc. from Chitvish's recipes only. No coconut chutneys, only sambhar mostly for idli dosa etc.
    The tofu and pottukadalai chutney it new to me, I shall try that soon.
    Khus khus is a good substitute and also onion paste can be used to thicken kurmas. Pottukadalai mavu can also be used.

7. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    You can try walnut as a subtitute and use walnut to make chutney too, but walnuts must be soaked in water for 5mins and then boiled in water for a min so that it does not taste bitter but nutty.
    But i think using coconut in moderate quantity is good for skin.
    Shanta

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  8. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Just happened to see this conversation.. I havent tried using carrots for morkozhambu.. But did try the other recipe where Chitra aunty has used coriander seeds,toor dhal etc... I just saw her avial and arachavita sambar.. is there any exclusive link where she has put in dishes with grated carrot instead of coconut.Can you post me the link.
    Also using of cashews as a substitute - I have heard ppl say that too much cashew is fattening isnt it? Almonds,walnut are better they say... Ia m not sure.. but thought will pass over what I heard.Correct me if I am wrong.

-Vanitha

9. raviveena

raviveena New IL'ite

I just tried grated carrots for beetroot poriyal and it tasted very good. I am sure going to try tofu chutney and carrots for morkolambu. Thanks so much for sharing the details. BTW, where can see Chitvish recipes - can you please share the link. Thanks!