Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Thanksgiving and Black Friday...brings to mind another similarity: the 'Aadi Perukku' festival (18th day of the Tamil month Aadi when TN people pay tribute to the rivers for its life-sustaining abilities) and the 'Aadi Thallupaddi' - the most anticipated shopping time of the year for TN - imagine if "Black Friday" runs a month-long! ; )

Traditionally, Aadi month is considered inauspicious to start new ventures or buy new. I came across (sort of) a case study of how one local, leading clothing brand reversed that popular sentiment and made customers buy by proposing huge discount sales unlike ever in TN (this is when discounted sales wasn't a thing). Initially, it was mostly the textile stores that offered fancy discounts for Aadi Thallupaddi. Back then no special promotions were there for wedding seasons/Diwali/Ramzan/Xmas etc so it was indeed a good opportunity for people to purchase and save up on the best deals during Aadi. Soon retailers of all kinds followed the model as it worked and brought in customers and sales for an otherwise off-season for shopping (or that's how the story goes). Now, from mega brands to small businesses, there are plenty of offers available on every product u may name, for every occasion there may be possible...still, the craze for Aadi Thallupaddi has only grown over the years as if it's an unmissable event! A perfect example to illustrate how culture and traditions can be influenced by businesses after all. A simple marketing gimmick by one brand has overturned strong religious faiths, so much that today Aadi month has come to mean as a time to buy new stuff (the irony conveniently overlooked)! : )

There is "White Friday" by Amazon here. Also Orange. Also... lol, there is one for every color in the spectrum (Black Friday ain't unique anymore, thanks to globalization)! Discount sales are mostly about clearing off old/damaged stocks, we know and we are aware yet why it is hard not to shop or shop less? What's the obsession or need to? I wouldn't entirely blame the brands. Consumers have to be responsible as well and not fall for every damn shiny, fancy deal that may pop up on their faces. Change has to start with us, how we may choose to shop would probably make brands consider and reevaluate their marketing strategies.
    "Buy local" initiatives are now being politicized as well. We have to identify genuine players in the market and support the cause, I do agree with that. One way to go forward in the right direction of being a responsible consumer. Kudos! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Gauri03 likes this.
  2. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Those who are attempting IF 18:6 as part of 75 Hard Challenge, I have a suggestion to make. In the morning in your empty stomach, take one glass of warm water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1/2 teaspoon of cummin powder. This will aid in weight loss, reduce stress, and also control blood glucose levels.

Kaput and Gauri03 like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lol! I've been smiling every time I think of it. So cute!:hearteyes:

Kaput likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Gauri,

Feel what you are going through! You are a wonderful motivation for many of us and the reasons you have cited were the exact same ones for which I restarted the 75 challenge. With the chaos around me, I had to feel like something was doable as I wished :) I was in a similar situation till this past Friday!
    And you will!

With break coming up soon, I feel a little more relaxed but you know what, some what bored too - but I know I need this break :)

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Sending good wishes to Orion, Viswa. Hope he feels better soon.

Viswamitra and Srama like this.
  7. Gauri03

Thanks @Srama ! For me, your updates are regular reminders of possibility -- that it can be done and it must be done. : )

Your lovely note on the Starlink satellites led me to this -- SpaceX Starlink Satellites Tracker
    No sightings around me right now but I will remember to keep checking before my evening walks.

Srama likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Gauri,

what I like about this challenge is the flexibility and self care that we have adopted. I rather have small doable goals than......I appreciate your sentiment and am glad we are all there for each other. Night skies, nah just skies are their best in fall and winter. Starlink satellites or not, looking up and walking is such a joy! Enjoy your walks.

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

Hope Orion is feeling much better. Warm wishes your way!

See you when you are readay!

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra Viswa Sir, how is Orion? Hope he is doing good.

Viswamitra likes this.