1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thriller: The Ultimate Choice

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Tamrakshar, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Mistt for your feedback!

2. Riverstream

Riverstream Bronze IL'ite

The story is building up well for grand ending. Good work Tamrakshar. :biggrin:

Tamrakshar likes this.
  3. Tamrakshar

Ha ha! There are still at least ten episodes before the ending. Nevertheless, thanks for your feedback!

Riverstream likes this.
  4. Tamrakshar

Episode 41

"Hi Rajan! You look like a galloping stallion who wants to make a huge leap to reach the moon!" Ranjan entered Rajan's room with a big grin on his face.

Indeed, Rajan was feeling good at that moment. He recuperated well after the bloodshed and intake of the deadly gas. Actually, at that moment, he was thinking about going to the field where he had worked as a gardener. The place was so beautiful that he had been longing to go there.

"Hi Ranjan! Welcome buddy! Without your help, I wouldn't have made it. Thanks mate!" Rajan said.

"Ha ha! If I take the full credit, I will be doing a great disservice to my conscience . The way you performed in the 4th stage, I have no hesitation to say buddy, I have never seen such a brilliant performance ever in this house. I hadn't even given you a clear-cut hint. But your sharp brain interpreted it correctly, and you acted like a champion."

Ranjan complemented Rajan profusely.

"So what's next buddy? Do you have any news about Archana?"

"Let me answer your last question first. Archana is hale and hearty. She might not have done it as smoothly as you, but she passed it without much damage to her body. We have been preparing her well for the final stage."

Rajan closed his eyes briefly as he seemed to have murmured a prayer thanking the God. He said,

"But, you haven't prepared me for the last stage! Can I get some help or at least some hints about the last stage?"

"I am a servant of orders in this house, by now you must know that, Rajan. The Joker decides every thing here. He will decide what the final stage will be. We don't know anything about it. We haven't been instructed to impart any training for the last stage to you. My guess is that you don't need any more training to complete the last stage." Ranjan's face was emotionless.

"Okay, I understand that. But, you haven't given any hints for the last stage?!"

"Well the 4th stage is the toughest for any participant, where he has to give his best. It is a test of endurance and survival instinct of an individual. But, the fifth stage is not that demanding. However, you need a lot of luck to make it. Don't ask me anymore, as I am not entitled to speak any further." He left.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is not done! This cannot happen! I will call the CM." Suresh was tramping on the mosaic floor of the tacky hotel room like an angry lion.

Being a very rich businessman, Suresh had not stayed in such a low quality hotel in the last 20 years. He had wanted to stay at Hyatt Regency in Salt Lake, but Roy insisted that they had to stay at the spot. There was not any impressive hotel in Barrackpore. Suresh searched the internet, and selected Ashoka Lodge as it seemed decent to him. But, Roy discouraged him by saying that most of the hotels in Barrackpore had been bugged by that dirty agency. If they tried to unbug the places, the hotel owners would suspect and might resist. So, he had chosen a rather nondescript cheap hotel. No matter how ramshackle the hotel looked, it had a pompous name, Paradise.

Roy told that they would surely keep an eye on them, but they would not be able to bug, and according to Roy, it mattered. For the sake of his friend, Suresh grinned and bore all the discomforts. But, when he heard the news in the next morning, he couldn't control his anger. He burst like a bomb.

Roy informed him in the morning that they couldn't undertake the operation today, as the home ministry in this state wanted more relevant papers from AP. They were not satisfied with the papers submitted by the AP police. At that moment, Suresh uttered those words.

"I don't think Sir, that will work. The CM of AP is a friend of the ruling party of this state. He can neither override their decision, nor will make an issue about it. Our men have informed me that a very influential person in this government is interfering in this case. However, the papres they sought can be submitted in a day. You speak to the SP and tell him to send the papers immediately." Roy explained in a calm voice.

"And what do we do now? Sit leisurely with folded hands like a fool?"

"This agency is very powerful, Sir! We can definitely take on them, but if we try to do that, the local police will prevent us from doing so. We can also take them down, but you know that's not our policy. We don't kill state agents until we are forced to do so."

"Yes, I know that. But, will you let Rajan die? Remember, I have paid you a hefty sum of a million of rupees."

Suresh didn't have a good sleep, as the room didn't have any aircoditioner. There was a swarm of mosquitoes which had forced Suresh to put a mosquito net. This made sure that very little air, as the voltage was low, could enter his net. All these compounded in making Suresh's mood very sore.

Roy's face turned red for a moment. He was a Bengali, but his complexion was extremely fair. He had lived for 10 years in London. That made his skin even fairer. As he was struggling to find a suitable answer, two guys entered the room in hurry. The entry of two guys made Suresh's eyes lit up.

"Sorry Sir for entering the room without your permission." Khan apologised, and Srinivas smiled.

"You two are here!" Suresh was indeed surprised.

"Yes Sir, we are part of the Andhra STF. We will be leading our team of 16 very efficient police personnel."

"But have you heard of the delay?" Suresh shouted.

"Yes Sir! That's exactly why we have come. The WB police is asking for some trivial papers which have either very little or no connection at all with the case. We had spoken to the DG of this state, and he had given us the green signal to proceed. That's why we are here, but now the same guy is putting his hands up." The voice of Srinivas sounded tart.

"That's what we have been discussing. Please meet Mr Roy, the head of Ravenous Eagles in eastern region of India, and Mr Roy, meet Mr Srinivas and Mr Khan, two very bright young IPS officers of Andhra." Suresh introduced each other.

They shook hands and exchanged greetings to each other. Roy said,

"Mr Srinivas and Mr Khan can you please send the papers they sought quickly?"

"You don't have to tell that Mr Roy. Both the hard and soft copies of the papers will be sent in the next couple of hours. The soft copies will reach immediately, but the hard copies will reach them tomorrow. I am sure you can submit the papers related to the Lakhotias by today. Then we can raid the place tomorrow."

Suresh was glad to know the development. He immediately ordered some drinks for them.

"Very good! You haven't lost anything during the last few days." Ranjan complemented Rajan.

Rajan's wish of visiting the garden was fulfilled by Ranjan. He was taken there, but he didn't see Roger and Chan there. But, the garden looked even more beautiful with tulips, daffodils, lilies and bluebells. The big trees like gul mohar, semal, amaltas, palaash and jarul were also blooming with romantic colours. Rajan was allowed to sit near the artificial fountain for a while in solitude, as Ranjan went somewhere talking over his phone.

But, he came back quickly and told Rajan to get up. The birds were chirping, colourful butterflies were flying and cool breeze was soothing the mind and soul. Rajan had no intention to move. Ranjan had been behaving friendly for the last few days. So, Rajan pleaded,

"Can I spend a little more time here?"

"Yes, my friend! But, for only 5 more minutes, as I am instructed to take you to the ground for some important work."

To be continued on Thursday night

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Tamrakshar Going good! looking forward to read more about Rajan & Archana's final tests. I'm also thinking to how detective organization and cops are going to catch Joker.

Tamrakshar likes this.
  6. Tamrakshar

Thanks Mistt for taking your time and writing feedback!

7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

It's my pleasure to read this gripping thriller and think about what is going to happen in next episode. You are good at extend the suspense to next episode and Thank you.

Tamrakshar likes this.
  8. Tamrakshar

:blush::blush:

Mistt likes this.
  9. Tamrakshar

Episode 42

As the voice of Ranjan sounded business like to Rajan, he didn't waste any more time.

In the field, the masked sports instructor was waiting for him. Ranjan left the place, but Rajan had to work like a donkey for the entire day. He got intermittent breaks of 15 minutes, and a longer break of 30 minutes during lunch. The main task was to run 100 meters within 15 seconds, which he could not do during the entire day. In between he had to do a lot of free hand exercises and yoga. A physiotherapist also took care of him from time to time.

Rajan tried hard to talk to the instructor. But, that medium-height, stout man seemed to be a robot like guy. He didn't say an extra word. At 5-30 PM, he blew the whistle thrice calling it a day. Only at that time, in a stern voice he said,

"Your performance has not been satisfactory Rajan. You have got only one more day. Try hard to reach the target tomorrow."

"Okay Sir, but may I know why?" Inspired by his sudden utterance, Rajan asked enthusiastically.

"Sorry Rajan, I don't know the reason. All I know is that I have to prepare you to run 100 meters within 15 seconds by tomorrow." He shrugged his shoulders.

After the day's tiring, back-breaking efforts to reach the unreachable, Rajan was relaxing in his cozy bed. The temperature of the room was set at a very comfortable level of 24°C, the humidity was set at 40%, and a very soothing music was being played in the background. Rajan learnt the technique of relaxing in this house. He relaxed every muscles of his body, and soon he fell asleep.

But, his nap was rather short-lived. Rajan woke up hearing the sound of a roar of a lion coming from the 42" LED television, mounted on the wall. A worldlife documentary was being shown on the television. The place seemed to be Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. A big, ferocious lion with a deadly look was chasing an impala. The cute, little, playful impala won Rajan's heart. He was praying to the God for survival of the innocent animal. The impala was running for his life, taking quick, unexpected turns to keep the lion at bay.

The lion was not a good chaser. He couldn't keep pace with the impala. He gave up the chase withing just 6 minutes, huffing and puffing heavily. For sometime Rajan forgot to breathe. Now, he felt happy and thanked the God for saving the life of the deer. The monitor went blank.

It was 6-30 PM. Suddenly, someone spoke from the hidden speakers in the room. It was not the Joker's voice, but someone else's. He instructed Rajan to go to the 6th floor, room number 66. He didn't say why. But, Rajan knew that he had obey the order. So, he followed the instruction.

At Room No 66, he met the spiritual guru, whom he had seen only once during his stay in the house. That meeting was very brief. The spiritual guru, whom Rajan never understood belonged to which religion, had asked him a few questions on Rajan's understanding of religion. As Rajan was deeply religious, he wanted to speak about his religion in detail. But, that guy gave him only 5 minutes. With an expression of great displeasure on his face, he gesticulated him to go out of the room. That was almost 2 months back.

The room today looked completely different. Last time, Rajan remembered that the room had bright lights coming from 2 fluorescent lamps. But, today the room looked completely different with a dim red light coming from a 3W colour LED bulb. The guru, too, looked completely different. Last time he wore white shirt and white pant. But today, he wore a red satin robe. Even in the dim red light, Rajan noted that the Guru's eyes were flashing like an animal, and that scared Rajan a bit. A heavy metal music was being played in the background. It was not as if Rajan hated rock music, but this one sounded very disturbing to him.

The guru was sitting on a wooden chair, which was the solitary furniture in the room. Slightly scared, Rajan stood standstill in front of him. He didn't know what to say. The guru gesticulated him to sit down. Ranjan looked down. The floor was covered with a checkered red and black thick carpet. Rajan sat down on the carpet.

Suddenly, the music stopped, and the guru said,

"Nice to meet you again Rajan! I heard that you have indeed done well to reach the final stage."

The guru seemed to be complementing Rajan. With folded hands Rajan said,

"That's all due to the grace of God, Guru ji!"

"Stop, you stupid!" The guru reacted violently. Rajan's jaw dropped, as he couldn't understand what wrong he said!

"You idiot, you think that it was due to God that you survived here, eh? What an idiot!"

The guru seemed to have mocked both Rajan and the God! Thankfully, the flash in his eyes had gone. Rajan became speechless. A spiritual guru is mocking the God! He wanted to pinch himself.

Watching Rajan's flummoxed face, the guru uttered a mantra in an obscure language for 2 minutes. Rajan knew many languages partially or completely. But, he had never heard this strangely obscure language before.

"You are a good engineer, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you are equally good in linguistics. You haven't understood a single word of the mantra? Ain't it?"

"Yes Guruji! What language is this?" Rajan asked.

"This is a secret language known to only the members of our cult. But, this language has words which are taken from Hebrew, Arabic, Latin and various tribal languages across the world. Anyway, that's not important. The important point is the mantra. I am translating the meaning of the mantra in English.

O the foolish inhabitants of the Earth
    Worshiping false Gods for eons.
    Worshipping idols and a cross
    And something even more stupid in a mosque
    Wake up from your stupor.

There is nothing called God
    It's the creation of shrewd mind
    They wanted to rule the world by proxy
    They wanted to make future of their progenies
    Wake up from your comatose.

If there were anything called God
    Would you have perished in millions
    In cyclones, hurricanes, famines and other calamities?
    Wake up from your slumber.

If He is so powerful why do religious gurus die
    Why do good people face misfortunes?
    Why do bad things happen to even newborns?
    And why does your planet become toxic?
    Wake up from your hebetude.

Worship Satan, the most powerful in universe
    The least merciful, the least compassionate
    The taker of souls, the maker of fortunes
    The maker of kings and the giver of treasure.

Rajan's jaws again dropped in sheer astonishment. The guru was a Satan worshipper!

Looking at Rajan's bamboozled face, the guru said,

"If you have to be thankful to somebody for surviving here, it's definitely not your God. It's your hard work, your inborn ability to adapt, your resilience and lastly but most importantly your good luck. Your cannot attribute your good luck to the God, because no God resides in this house. Have you ever seen a picture or staute of God in this entire mansion or in its premises? Each and everyone in this house is a worshipper of Satan. Satan is regularly worshipped here, and by Satan's grace everyone here makes great fortune."

The guru paused for a few seconds, and quickly looked at the wallclock. Then he said,

"I know you have been a god fearing, religious person throughout your entire life. But, as you know, you are standing in the threshold of life and death. You have one more day, and then you will face the final test. I am afraid to inform you that you will not survive in the final test, if you don't come to our clan, that is if you don't become a Satan worshipper. Do you agree? If you have any questions, you can ask?"

To be continued on Saturday night

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Tamrakshar :clap2::thumbsup:Kudos to your narrative style as I can visualize all the scenes while reading from the beginning to end of episode. I'm thinking to will Rajan agree with that guru or will he stick to what he believe in. I will wait for Saturday to know more updates about Rajan and guru.:icon_pc:

Tamrakshar likes this.