Aandals Thiruppavai - 2

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by varalotti, Mar 1, 2007.

1. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Summer is starting already, but thanks to your postings on the sweet and cool verses of Andal, margazhi seems to have been extended.
    First came the verses to read and enjoy. Then came the beautiful visual posted by Tejudatla. Now comes the audio. If only someone had a video clipping of Arayar Sevai and posted that too, the experience would be complete.

Many years ago, we once visited Azhwar Thirunagari during a utsavam time and had the good fortune to see an exposition of "Arayar Sevai", an ancient performing art rooted in Vaishnava Bhakthi Sampradaya. It is an art form which is, unfortunately, becoming extinct due to lack of patronage. I heard some dancers in Tamil Nadu are taking efforts to resurrect it. But actually, the abhinaya-natya, mostly mime, is never performed outside the temple or utsavam time.
    Performers were always male and mostly solo. To the beat of cymbals and a swaying motion, they brought out the bhakthi bhavas in selected verses from the Divya Prabhandam. When verses of Andal were sung, , viewers would forget the image of a middle aged priest ( The Arayar) in panchakaccham, uttariyam and the headgear ( a kind of conical cap) and see only young Andal's tenderness , love and anguish on the man's lined and rugged face !

If anyone knows of any temple where Arayar Sevai tradition is still carried on, kindly inform.

Regards
    VS

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear VS,

Thanks for those kind words of credit which fully belong to Aandal.
    Srirangam is one temple which still continues with the Arayar Sevai tradition. There are a few Arayar families which keep this beautiful tradition alive. I have not seen them.

Arayar Sevai is a concept which tells the world how God should be loved. It is more like singing, dancing and romance than a penance, a work or a self-imposed punishment.

More than thiruppavai Nachiar Thirumozhi of Aandal (examples like Vaaranam Aayiram, Karpooram Naarumo) is more suited for Arayar Sevai.

I would definitely love to post some of the NT songs which shakes the very foundations of our hearts; but I have my reservations. There are some things which you cannot do if you are a man in a site of ladies. Those who have read and enjoyed NT will understand.

Thanks for the participation, VS

regards,
    sridhar

3. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Dear sridhar
    I will check in Srirangam when I visit.
    Thanks
    VS

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

VS sayang,

If you are interested in NT, pls check out the link below:

http://www.sundarasimham.org/ebooks/NachiyaarThirumozhi.pdf

This is an illuminative version, to say the least.

An excellent source on NT is the English translation by Smt Kalyani Krishnamachary.

For some Andal trivia- though it is not trivial. In Srivilliputhur, the Kili (parrot) in Andal's Holy Hands are made fresh daily, from tender leaves, by a dedicated family. It is believed that getting one of these Kilis, after it has been sanctified in Andal's Hands, and keeping it at home in pooja, will strengthen love and devotion in the family- perpetuate Bhakti a la Andal. And it costs only Rs 25 to buy the kili, though one has to order and wait in the queue.

regards
    Vidya

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  5. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidya
    That was very interesting info, about the Kili. But does the Kili hold the shape after drying up ? And, is there any specific rituals that needs to be done to keep it at home ? And for how long can it be kept ? I mean, suppose we get a new Kili, what happens to the old one ?

This sounds similar to the small garland that adorns Nataraja's Kunchithapaadam at Chidambaram. That is also given away as ashirvaadam and kept in poojaroom. It is made of vettiver , so it remain as it is . We do mangala-arathi when it is brought home. When a new garland is brought home, the old one is consigned to the well / river/sea (visarjan).

Manjula

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Manju,

Good question, and one I did not apply my mind to! Mainly cos my turn for Kili has not yet come. But yes, I suppose the leaves would dry up, but we could still keep it in worship to renew our Bhakti. And once a new Kili is acquired, we could do samarppanam of the first one in water.

The info on the vettiver garland was interesting, I am hearing it for the first time.How does one acquire it? If you have more temple talk, pls post and share it round. I have wondered if we should open a thread for 'Temple Talk' but am not sure if it will become redundant and empty.

regards
    Vidya
    (Varalotti- no more poaching your thread,sorry)

7. varalotti

Dear Vidya/Manju,

Please go ahead to use my thread for temple talk. In religious threads you are not supposed to talk 'shop'. Temple talk is okay. And nothing could be more relevant than the Aandal Kili.

And Manju, I would suggest that you read Nachiar Thirumozhi in Tamil. Dont even read the commentary. Read the original verse and if you find any difficult word look for the meaning. Aandal is an expert in using very simple words to convey her most profound love.

For example she addresses a question to Sri Vishnu's conch. Her logic is clear and direct.
    Who will know the smell of the Lords mouth better than the conch? Aandal enquires with overflowing love:
    Oh, white conch, please tell me how does his mouth smell like? Does it smell like camphor? Or the lotus? And sure you would have known the taste of his pearl-like divine mouth. Will it be sweet? I am asking the smell and taste of the mouth of Madhavan - the Lord who broke the tusks of the Rakshasa who came in the elephant form.

Now the song:

கற்பூரம் நாறுமோ கமலப்பூ நாறுமோ
    திருப்பவழச் செவ்வாய்தான் தித்தித்திருக்குமோ
    மருப்பொசித்த மாதவனின் வாய்ச்சுவையும் நாற்றமும்
    விருப்புற்று கேட்கின்றேன் சொல்லாழி வெண்சங்கே

Varalotti

8. varalotti

Good News Ladies!

Dear All,
    Induslady has been kind enough to accede to my request to allow .wav as a file format in IL. Thanks to this concession I will be able to upload the chanting directly without going through the zip route.

You also can click the file and play instead of taking the trouble of unzipping it.

ellarum indusladykku peria O podungappa

sridhar

9. Jana

Jana Senior IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Thank you for this poem and associated voive file. I liked both.

10. Advaita

Advaita New IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

I liked to hear the poem being recited by you. It was also clear recording. I am now slowly getting interestd in Andaal Devis works.

warmly
    Adva