Should I Keep Working Till My End

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by indubalram, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

According to me more than mone money it is important whether r u happy with your job or not,if you are enjoying your work my advice is go in with your job,if you felt some thing you are missing in your life just take off from your job and findout what you want ,just go for trip all alone you can go,find your self where your mind and soul are happy,and if you felt like you need to go back to job just do it,age is just a factor,you can do a job til your 70's when it is giving you joy in your life,
    Plan a tour for a 2 weeks and comeback and think wat you want in life,it's not always about the money ,it's about your happiness and respect you should look back,
    Otherwise tey to engage in other aspects ,explore your self and find out what you like the most ..

SCA and BhumiBabe like this.
  2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Hello OP,

if you don’t like your job, you should consider changing into something you prefer to do. Or you could see if you are comfortable enough to retire and pursue other activities. You are only 56. Maybe all this time, you have been earning to take care of others- but if you don’t have a financial need, there isn’t much reason to do something you don’t like. I know many high level people who have taken a pay cut to take individual contributor roles so that they can enjoy life.

From what you posted, I feel like you want someone to validate leaving your job. Live life and enjoy doing something else or doing nothing. Take a sabbatical if you are feeling burnt out. You are not obligated to work until you die.

Janakinarne and Laks09 like this.
  3. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

NO
    Please dont if the job is physically /mentally draining. If you arekids are settled and you have savings to run your post 60's life, enjoy your life
    ofcourse please do figure out how you would be spending your day and not make boredom eat you

Laks09 likes this.
  4. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

I can understand exactly how u feel. I was in a similar situation or state of mind, a decade back. I had still 10 years of service left for retirement( was working in a PSU in ibdia. ) I felt I have worked enough and although the money would have been welcome, was tired of the rut of routine work. Hence made up my mind to resign from my job. I however did some advance planning , made arrangements for source of regular rental income et c and then resigned. Hubby was not in favour at all, as a few more years and I could have got good terminal benefits which I was loosing! The initial year or two, was restless as I had a lot of time on my hands. However I started keeping myself busy doing things I liked and didn't have time for earlier like my hobbies of painting, stitching my own clothes , teaching neighbourhood kids et c together with my usual house chores. I do not regret the decision to this day and feel I am healthy and fit at my age, ( I am 67 now) due to my relaxed life style these last 10 years or so.
    I mentioned my story to say, each ones requirement and interests will be different and only u know what U want. So, please ?think over all aspects and decide . It is only u who has to be convinced :- U may not get approval for whatever u do, but with conviction of what is best in your circumstances, U can be at peace. Take care and best wishes.

6. indubalram

Ya I will have low social security and no health insurance. Ya so I have to work till my end!

7. indubalram

Lately I’m loosing my confidence and feel v insecure and scared

8. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I think you are just burned out. It happens. Just talk to someone you trust, and come out with your insecurities, do activities that make you happy and help you take your mind off this. This is the harsh reality of life, at some point we all feel alone. I am not as experienced as you. But there is so much information now. Talk to a career counselor. Or a psychiatrist. There is nothing wrong in it. If nothing works, just pray that you get a solution to this situation. Calm down. Hang in there. Don't give in to fear. I personally know this person who is a 3 time divorcee, has no children, is very old, I think 70+. She still works, she has to. One of my ex colleagues is old enough to be my father and still works as an individual contributor. He needs the money to pay the rent, so he works. Another person who has a sick spouse and a not so well settled offspring. They all live with personal unhappiness and uncertainty, cruising every day bravely though grudgingly. Calm down, you are not alone. You will find a path. Don't worry. Worry makes it worse. Please realize that everyone has their share of challenges and personal demons to deal with. Hang in there.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    joylokhi and chanchitra like this.
  9. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Before you leave job Can you take one month leave or family medical leave for few months and think. Maybe you will want to go back to your routine again. If u don’t feel then resign.

10. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Where do you live Indu? I heard that there will be a new legislation in one of the states that allows children to add their old and dependent parents to their insurance. Maybe you will get a solution in future to your problems. Cheer up.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Topaz49, chanchitra and indubalram like this.