Mourning Period

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by stayblessed, Oct 28, 2021.

1. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

My FIL's brothers wife, I.e my husbands chithi passed away 2 days back due to old age and a long period of illness. How long should we not celebrate festivals? My mom says one year of mourning should be observed. But husbands side vathiyar(priest) says 6 months is enough. Please guide as to which one is correct.

2. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Actually it depends who dis the final rituvals to her..if your husband did her final sendoff then you should follow for one year,or if you people are belongs to same family then you follow 11days or 15days or 21days of separation from all the festivals and attending the Pooja's to temples or to some one els houses where the marriage and other things..
    There will be a Pooja one day like 11th or 15th day ,once you and your family takes the pavitra snanam from pandit then that is is the last day for u all,you can normally celebrate your festivals and can attend to any funs

stayblessed and Dynamic like this.
  3. RRAJ

RRAJ Gold IL'ite

My husband's chithi(Fil's brother's wife) too passed away due to Covid so no festivals for one year for us. We follow the one-year rule for father's side relatives.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    stayblessed likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

My family follows the one-year rule for all father’s side relatives. But you can follow the advice of your priests. Sometimes people relax the rules if the person passed away after a long and peaceful life.

stayblessed likes this.