1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diwali Sweets To Neighbors

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Vedhavalli, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I have few neighbors who are Indians,usually I distribute sweets and murukku during Diwali. Though they conduct potlucks I don't attend fearing politics unwanted gossips etc.
    We don't talk or hangout on regular basis but due to my family tradition of giving sweets I did., mostly hi-bye relationship.
    Rest of the families go for day trips, picnic, birthdays and potlucks.

Should I continue the tradition for sake? My dh don't do too much work for Diwali.
    But it's been one long tradition in my family I don't want to give up.
    Festivities are all about positivity and sharing happiness.

anika987 and KashmirFlower like this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

good for kids to setting up traditions.
    Good to mingle and enjoy all picnics etc for kids and yourself for social gatherings and still try to stay away from politics, an art to be learned by all and kids too.

Vedhavalli, MalStrom and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

you can share it with few neighbors nearby with whom you are comfortable with.

Otherwise, if you do it for all..every year the expectations might rise and they might expect you for parties etc..its just your wish.

Also,once a year potluck is fine.Just go with the flow and be a listener than talkative.As simple as as that.

Sharing is good,do it but never overdo anything.

chanchitra, Vedhavalli and MalStrom like this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Yes going to make minimum or buy and distribute.

5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

There is nothing joyful than providing something to eat to someone. It brings a smile to the face, no matter who it is. My suggestion will be, make it and give.

There is a difference between giving a store bought greeting card and the one you drew. Same difference here. You can decide what you want to do. If you are giving and even it is store bought, make it worth while.

Btw, what sweets are/were you planning to make. I wish to make some this Deepavali and share with the neighbors myself, but I have not made one sweet recipe ever. Seems to be daunting to figure this out. Want to make something which will last a few days at least and easy for a newbie to make. Will appreciate any ideas.

ashima10 and KashmirFlower like this.