Going Back To India For Retirement

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by EagerForInfo, Oct 24, 2021.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

I have relatives who plan on going back to India for their retirement. They are 70 us citizens but they consider India their home town. But the issue is India is too hot. I don’t think they can manage the heat there. They belong to south India. .
    I was just wondering which part of India should they go to ? Would north India be better. ? South India is just too hot as the area where they live I’ve heard the tar melting in may. They cannot adjust there in this age.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

coimbatore is considered retirement heaven by elderly people.

The weather is good as it has ooty near by...

Isha foundation is established but it is quite cosmo.

the above is what I heard.

I have some far off relatives living in some community near bangalore..

the place is called ANNAKAL...They can research more on that too..

Laks09, KashmirFlower and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Parts of north India get hotter than parts of south India. It’s not a monolith. Your relatives should also consider moving to a place where they are familiar with the local language and customs and have at least some family or friends support.

4. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

There is no specific place like where there is cool all the days and tar mealtimg heat through out the year,onl option is to make the place(home)cool by fixing acs in there house,at this age they should look for the place they are familiar with language and known places to visit in emergencies and someone to help them in needs,
    Now it's very cool in india due to rains and cming few months wil b very chill ,so installing acs around there rooms can help them to feel better,and at this age mostly they wil b indoors onl so nothing to wry to think of outside heat..

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear @EagerForInfo,

I endorse the views of my friends here.

Coimbatore is the cleanest city in Tamil Nadu, securing the 40th rank in the Swachh Survekshan 2020, an annual cleanliness survey conducted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.

As per the data from NCRB (National Crime Record Board) of India released in 2020, Coimbatore ranks as one of the top 3 safest cities in India for women. And it was no surprise. The city has always been one of the safest cities in the country.

My class-mate & bosom friend with spouse stays in BRINDAVAN - COIMBATORE a senior citizen home since 2004 or 2005. He reports that many of inmates there either from US or and have sons & daughters residing in US.

HE CHOSE that place because it is not very far from city & climate is constant is throughout the year though best period is September to March.

“Brindavan” is cosmopolitan in character. Many residents like my friend here are multilingual. My friend is at home here as he has many friends who could speak fluently Bengali, Tamil, Malayalam, Hindi & English.

All the best to your friends.
    Regards.

Laks09, KashmirFlower and anika987 like this.
  6. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Coimbatore,ootty,kodai,suburbs of Bangalore,Mysore has large retirement communities. There are many small towns in Karnataka ,unexplored heavens..:)

7. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Thanks for nice reponses.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I do not think they should go to North just because it is cool.
    I am sure they might have planned budget etc for relocation. They should move near to place where they have relative or someone can come when in need, close to culture customs. It all matters as we mature. That is the idea of moving back. Otherwise why not stay in US close to kids.
    So as people suggested those senior citizen homes should work. With money, heat won't be an issue. Also they may not be out that much.

anika987 likes this.
  9. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Staying with kids in us is also issue is old parents cannot bear the cold regions in us. Kids live in the coldest regions Connecticut , etc etc. also they have come to US in 1980s self made people who have earned everything g themselves and don’t want to depend on anyone.

This they are the first people to experience this dilemma as not many people have come to us in 1980s.

10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My far off relatives had come in 1980s and they are back to India and settled in an old home outskirts in Bangalore.Same reason as you said above and they do not want to depend.

They are happy there