1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It Still Lives

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Cheeniya, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

*IT STILL LIVES.*
    by
    Deepti Prasad

I have come to the city of Lucknow for my mother’s knee replacement surgery. We are staying in the Officer’s Mess in the quaint old Cantonment.

It is a flashback to a nostalgic old lifestyle. The "bhaiyya" brings “bed-tea” sharp at 6.30 am. The “bhaiyya” then serves us cooked Indian breakfasts on the coffee table with napkins and cutlery. The “safaiwala” comes to clean the bathroom and floors everyday. And even the laundry is attended to by the old style “dhobi” who collects the bundle of clothes in a “gathri” tied in a sheet every morning and brings them back crisp and sun-dried and ironed wrapped in a starched clean sheet in the evening.

Today is “Navami”, the ninth day of the Navratri fasts. It’s the day of the ritual of “Kanya Pooja”, where all Hindu homes invite and worship the little girls in their neighbourhood to honour the goddess.

I remember the delightful feeling of being treated so special back in the days of scampering around in frocks and slippers. I remember sitting cross legged on the little wooden platforms in the fragrant Pooja rooms (Prayer Rooms) and being worshipped by the families dressed up in their beautiful silk and finery. I remember the taste of the offerings of poories and halva and black chana. And the thrill of all the one rupee coins all us little girls collected as blessings.

The Dhobi didn’t show up on time this morning. When we called him to remind him to pick up the laundry, he explained he was delayed taking his little girls around to all the officers homes where they had been invited this morning to be worshipped in the “Kanya Pooja”.

Eventually he showed up with one of his little girls in tow. A skinny, bright-eyed 7 years old with an eager smile. “Namaste aunty ji” she chirrupped in her high pitched little voice. She’d obviously had a very special day being worshipped as a goddess and was feeling wonderful!
    “What’s your name?” we asked the dhobi. “Mohammed” he said. My heart skipped a beat.
    And then when I realised the full importance of what I had just learnt from just a name, it made me smile.

A little Muslim girl worshipped as a goddess in Hindu homes!!! And they obviously know well that she is a Muslim. Her father had been working for those homes for years.

My heart swelled with pride. My eyes dampened with joy and pride.

This.....THIS is the India I grew up in.
    It still lives ! It lives in the hearts of those simple, joyous, generous, tolerant, inclusive and kind Indian folk of all religions.

My India is still alive and doing well, after all ! May it never succumb to the disease of intolerance. Ever !

joylokhi, Rihana, chanchitra and 5 others like this.

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hearing those kind of stories feels us happy for unity in diversity still exist in this world, especially in India.

joylokhi, Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  3. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Unity in diversity always exists in India. Politicians are the culprits who try to spoil the unity of public. Nice one

joylokhi, Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Tear jerking at the concluding portion of the anecdote. A great twist. Standing ovation to author and applause to @Cheeniya Sir.
    Splendid narration. Scampering around!
    Thanks and Regards.

joylokhi and Cheeniya like this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful!!!
    Jayasala 42

Cheeniya likes this.
  6. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear sir,
    Very nice post. This indeed is the India we live/lived in.
    I don't know why it has changed so much in all these years.
    In my mother's house during Navratri all our muslim friends were invited and thamboolam was given.
    In the early 90 s I lived in Karaikal for a few years. When the annual festival is celebrated, it starts with the wedding of Karaikal Ammaiyar. I was surprised to see muslims taking an active part in this.
    I was told they too believe in our hindu rituals and this is common in South India.
    My dad always talks about the mingling of cultures in India. He quotes so many examples.
    In Srirangam is not Perumal married to a muslim women.
    It is our nasty politics that has divided our people.
    Regards
    Uma

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.