1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Talk More

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Oct 17, 2021.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

While philosophers talk highly of silence and want people to be silent

neuro physicians and geriatrists advise the other way.
    Why do older people need to talk more?
    A psychologist once told me, that I must talk more when I am old, because there is currently no way to prevent Alzheimer's disease. Talking more, may be the only way.
    There are at least three advantages for the elderly to talk more as per the report of neurologists.
    First, speaking will activate the brain & keep the thinking agile, because language and thinking communicate with each other, especially speaking quickly, which naturally exercises the rapid reflection of thinking and also enhances memory.

An elderly person who is not talkative, is more likely to have Alzheimer's disease.
    Therefore, some people who have retired, are prone to Alzheimer's disease, because they no longer speak.

Second, speaking can release a lot of psychological will, expel mental illness and reduce stress. We often say nothing, but bury it in our hearts & suffocate it. This is the truth. So, it is a good thing to be able to make parents nag more.

Third, speaking can exercise the active facial muscles
    and at the same time, exercise the throat organs and even the lung capacity, so that it can reduce the decline of eyes and ears & reduce hidden dangers, such as dizziness and deafness.
    To summarize, when one is old, talking as much as possible, being able to interact with people, is the only way to prevent Alzheimer’s disease, because this disease is currently the most terrifying of all diseases for the elderly. There is no way of treatment, as yet.

Not only is all memory gone, there are no thoughts & even knowing family members is difficult; one becomes a burden to others and is more like a living dead.
    It is hoped that medical development, will solve/treat, this problem soon.
    So, friends, let your parents talk as much as possible & don't dislike the old people nagging; this is also a kind of filial piety._
    Let them talk more. You may be in the race, because many have crossed 60+
    Let us forget what sage Ramana advised.

Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala
    Kudos to sharing this nuggets.

These truths, I presume known to AND EXPERIENCED by many IL MEMBERS WHO ARE IN THEIR SEVENTY OR EIGHTY PLUS.

I have seen among elders I know of have natural tendency to speak more or in excess to strangers vendors and delivery men at doorsteps and also sales persons in shops and in bazaar. In their eagerness to disseminate their knowledge at times they spill lot of beans turning themselves into a laughing stock. But in a way it makes their grey matter robust to fire more neurones.

Oldies have natural tendency to come out with parallel anecdotes regardless of interest in listening to by members at close proximity.

Once when I happen to point out this to an old man in queue in ration shop, said he lack opportunities at home as none of his family members interested in listening to him the reason being he repeats same anecdotes more often. I thought to myself experiencing more or less similar condition. I have almost exhausted all my stories and nothing new to tell to my family members. In fact, I do not even speak of occasional pains in my organs lest I will be subjected to medical procedure which would say after completion that am hale & healthy.

But am glad with the label CHATTER BOX - accorded to me by my spouse and few friends, as I know it keeps my memories intact and it distances me from catching Alzheimer’s. Spouse & my son in law sometimes wonder and happy that I am able to draw very reticent men & women into lively conversation. God Bless you & me & others that includes less talkative.
    Thanks and Regards.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021