1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Switching Education/syllabus & Country

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by SGBV, Oct 1, 2021.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My kids are 10 & 8 years of age. Studying in our home country Sri Lanka in one of the leading school.
    Here in Sri Lanka, state schools provides the best education and almost every Sri Lankan national follow their education through state curriculums only.
    However, the primary education in Sri Lanka as per the state curriculum is in local languages only.

Kids will be transfered to bilingual curriculum from grade 6 onwards and they move to English medium only after their ordinary level exams. (equivalent to 10th in India, i guess).

Although our kids follow English as their 3rd language (Sinhalese is second language) it is definitely different from studying in English medium. Right?

Having said that, we are considering migration, given the political & economical instability in the country.

In fact, our lives are well established here, but there is no guarantee when the country is sinking.

Recently, I've been offered a great position with the UN in a first world country where i could apply for a PR later on & settle.

But the move will not be a simple decision, given the fact that my family (H, Kids, and Mom) is well rooted here in a high comfort zone.
    Particularly their school & education.
    Mom's health & age. Her social life etc...

Me & H are happy about this offer. But we are still analyzing. We need your opinions & recommendations in particular about kids education & future.

Like, how hard it would be for a 10 & 8 year old to switch to English medium & mingle with entirely different school community at this age?
    Will they be able to catch up & manage with the flow? Or will it affect their confidence level ?

If so, is it worth the try by compromising kids future like this?

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Many of my colleagues have moved from non-English speaking countries to the USA with kids of varying ages. Some of the kids had no English exposure and they thrived here. 8 and 10 is a good age for them to pick up the language quickly. My cousin moved from Italy to Canada with their 7 year old who spoke fluent Hindi and Italian and no English and picked up the language and is on a swim team now in Middle school. Yes, they will catch up. It might take a few months but it won't affect them in a long run. In fact, we are planning a year-long sabbatical to Spain and I am looking forward to my kids being immersed in Spanish during our sabbatical (they will be the same age by then as your kids now).

Kids are very adaptable.

SGBV likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Your kids will be fine. They are at the right age to move and they will pick up the language very quickly since they are already familiar with English. We work with a lot of immigrant families who come in not knowing any English at all and the children adapt very well to school. I would not worry at all.
    Your mother might have a harder time with the transition.

SGBV likes this.
  4. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

For kids its perfect age to blend in and.absorb a diff culture,language etc .But for your mom it may be tad difficult to adjust with new culture.Socializing and getting new friends will take time.If mom can travel frequently like every 6 months to home country shea may feel connected.

SGBV likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the comforting words everyone. I was too worried about the kids as many people here (of course with no experience or exposure to migration) gave us expert opinions negatively. Which has put me on a guilt trip since the time i disclosed our preference.

Kids were my worry, especially the elder one who is 10. Younger one doesn't shy away and already has started speaking in English with European accent.

Mom will definitely have issues. But the weather is not a problem there. So that's a relief.

Even here in SL, since the covid (march 2020) we have stopped socialization. No one comes here, and we don't go out either. So public or partying too.
    Specially the elders have totally confined to homes due to the fear.

Its been almost a year since my sister visited here. But she.might miss her son. He visits us daily, and my mom loves him much.

But she won't spend even 2 hrs at his place as she can't get along with SIL even thought brothers home still belongs to mom.

Her stay with brother has been ruled out last year itself and she will stay with us only. So, moving shouldn't worry her much as it is a matter of our future.
    We all will miss brother & home for sure anyways.

I shall find out ways to keep her connected & entertained during our stay, but yes... She can come back home once in 6 months too.