1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

About High Heels

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by Rihana, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes. Something in the Rain. : )
    : ) I don't know ... men wearing heel higher than the .5 inch that comes in the typical formal shoes would look, no?

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I think this was an unsaid rule in most Indian homes and also the pull towards something that was hard to get. My upbringing was a bit different because I had an older sister ~14 years older than me. She married at 20 and got a good job a year later. I was ~7 when didi got married and she had all sorts of nice things (including high heels). We played with her stuff. We never asked to buy a pair during college because I think we knew it wasn't appropriate at that age.

I remember when I bought my first pair of heels during my MSc. Mom and I went shopping and came back with these beautiful sandals. My dad was a bit taken aback. He said- these are for functions, what about daily use sandals? He rolled his eyes when I said I am going to wear these every day :). Both mom and dad laughed and said you will be going shopping again in 2 days but I took it as a challenge :). I had a fellowship to pay for those beauties and my parents had enough trust in me by then, I guess.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My mom wore high heeled sandals(don’t ask how she walked on Indian roads) while we were growing up. I think she bought me high heeled sandals for the 10th std send off where everyone came in sarees. From the sandals I graduated to Vara pumps when I moved to the US. Now, I exclusively wear Birkenstocks everywhere. If it is a fancier occasion then it’s another pair of flats. I also wear a whole lot of tennis shoes. I never wear heels anymore. DD took my jimmy choos and ferragamo heels because I don’t ever wear either.