1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

About High Heels

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by Rihana, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was re-watching a K-drama's first episode - late evening, he and she are walking home after work. She pulls out a bag that has a pair of sneakers. He gazes at them mystified. She then takes off her heels and puts on the sneakers. Fast on the uptake, he promptly kneels down, reaches for her heeled sandals and places them in the bag with care. He asks her, "Can't you wear sneakers to work?" I don't know what she replies as I always fast-forward that part. : )

But all that is besides the point. Getting to the point:

Do you like to wear high heels? When was the first time you wore them? Did your parents allow you to buy high heels? How many do you own? Why so many or so less?

Anusha2917 and Thyagarajan like this.

2. Rihana

The first time I wore a pair pf high heels was when I quietly picked a pair belonging to a visiting aunt and went to the wall mirror. Tried them on and almost fell while turning around to look at myself in the mirror.

No way would my parents allow us to wear anything higher than an inch. Definitely not after the high-heel wearing aunty chose to divorce her husband though he did not smoke, drink or chase women. : )

I bought one for the first time after I started working. Blue jeans, aqua t-shirt, high heels, hair left open .. felt like a rebel and a million bucks at the same time. : ) Walked to work and then to my cubicle. The whistles at work were friendly. No one would now whistle like that at a co-worker.

maalti and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Yeah, I had always wanted to own a pair of high heels. When I was very young, I saw a few Anglo Indian women while travelling in an electric train. They were wearing short gowns and high heels. I developed an instant liking then and there for the high heels. I also bought my first high heels when I started going for a job and didn't let anyone to even touch it.
    Brought back old memories.
    Thank you

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  4. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

I have had k-friends who has a habit of carrying sneakers if they're wearing high heels. Some has flat backless sandals in their office desk, changes to that once they're in.
    I prefer to wear block heels/wedges. The highest inches I wore during my first job.
    This whole heels talk reminds of one incident.
    Few years ago when I went to US for a conference. I was wearing a peep toe heel.
    I landed in the mid of the night, not to mention had to walk all the way from McCarran to the taxi point caring those baggage and it was damn so hot. I was on a verge of crying(lol) Uncomfortable footwear, dead phone, heavy luggage all sweating and what not!
    I finally reached the hotel lobby, as soon I checked in (27th floor)I walked down with the room slipper and bought a pair of simple slippers (for $35) right away. No words could explain that moment's relief. I can feel you K-girls who always carry sneakers :thumbup::beer-toast1:

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

This post brought a big smile :).

Growing up I loved high heels. My twin sister and I wore our older sister's high heels for fun. I bought my first pair during my Masters. I had 3 pairs that I would wear every day from morning to evening going from one floor to another at my university. The chudidaar pajami-kameez or Patiala salwar with high heels was my uniform. Throughout my PhD, I lived in heels (4-inch stilettos for special occasions but 2-3 inches as regular, kitten heels were the rage :)). Since I was in Delhi, I mostly wore jeans or skirts during my PhD. Then after moving to the USA, I stopped wearing heels and for years wore either flats or sneakers (easy to walk in because I didn't have a car for the first 3 years). Now, I can't wear flats so it's either sneakers or platform heels (1/2-1"). I still have the white heels that I wore at my wedding but I can't even think of walking in those again.
    My parents never told us no and all of us sisters were quite fashionable for our times. Old memories :)!

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Anusha2917 like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I yearned after high heels when I was a kid. My parents had a strict no to all my entreaties. The first time I tried out a pair was at 13 when we had a get-together for a cousin visiting from the US. She had these beautiful white stilletos that I put on and promptly fell flat on my face in front of everyone.
    When I reached a point where I could afford to buy heels for myself I realized my feet were just not made for wearing them. Even an hour wearing anything other than a one-inch heel led to screaming agony. Now I content myself with admiring those 6-inch Louboutins on other women while rocking my staid Born, Dansko and Earth shoes.

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I was trying to recall the name of the Kdrama. Is it Something in the rain?
    Just like most Indian parents, I was discouraged for wearing high heels simply because they felt I’m too tall for it. So eventually I lost interest in it.
    I thought I can wear atleast for my wedding, but my DH is almost same height as me so that wasn’t an option.
    Later on I felt I should have asked him to wear heel shoes so that I could wear atleast decent heels!

Searching flats with all those glittery stones for my reception was a nightmare. I finally found one pair exactly a week before my wedding!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  8. Rihana

Looks like high heels were a luxury or a mildly forbidden item that we coveted for a while before finally buying it with our own money. : )

I can imagine the relief your feet felt with the simple slippers! In my last India trip, for some reason that I cannot recall, I eschewed my usual trusted slip-on Skechers and wore these Earth Origins slide on sandal. In Changi airport, again for some reason I don't recall, I decided to walk from T1 to T3 instead of taking the Skytrain. I almost cried when I reached T3.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Rihana

That reminds me of my initial years in the U.S. and wearing chudidaar or salwars to dinner parties. It was a mystery to my husband on why I care what footwear I wear for the short distance from car to the venue house's front door where we anyway took them off. It was hard to explain that walking that short distance in heels to the door gave me confidence to meet the more elegantly dressed women inside. And on the way back to the car, as all left together, I wanted to be seen walking in my heels. : )
    Each uncle, each aunt and each grandparent had dire warnings for any girls who wanted high heels. Aside from permanent damage to the ankle, hip and what have you, they said it'd corrupt the girl's nature and personality. : )

Same here. It kills my feet. And after motherhood and its added pounds, more so.

Thyagarajan and MalStrom like this.
  10. Rihana

Interesting trivia: successful women like Oprah Winfrey, Sheryl Sandberg and Michelle Obama are always photographed wearing heels.

A funny quote I came across:
    High heels were invented by a woman who had been kissed on the forehead.
    ~ Christopher Morley.

:grinning: (took me also a moment to get the joke) :grinning:

Thyagarajan, nuss and maalti like this.