1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Takeoff With Timely Connection

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Thyagarajan, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: A Takeoff With Timely Connection :hello:
    It was mid-summer time in 1950s in Triplicane Marina beach Madras. In the distant Bay of Bengal ocean, at horizon huge ochre-sun was raising hesitantly behind mist.

A man x - clad in white dhoti Kurtha - parked car opposite Presidency College began sauntering on long & wide concrete pavement opposite toward shore.
    Midway, seeing me sitting on the raised wide concrete bench at the end of pavement reading loudly from a text book, he came in proximity enquired as to why I had chosen that hour and that spot for study.

I told him, I am from nearby place residing with mother and sister in a dwelling that is dark without electricity and therefore chosen this breezy place under open sky. This gentleman then enthused me to study well and then almost daily, we met at the same spot & would hello each other; and go ambling on the sand barefoot to the shore .

The distant clocks on that dark-pink -four-faced-dome atop the college was showing time nearing half-past five. The man and I were spot running at that moment, whence a lanky-lady clad in cotton pink creased-saree and snow-white Pomeranians in long leash was approaching us. Her demeanour exuded her high status & class. Following her, a slim medium built fair five foot tall comely-iridescent-eyed girl in pink
    -half-saree walking toward us. I observed her right foot limping a bit and those batting eye-lids!

My friend greeted her and began discussing about new stories that the man was writing for turning them into movies. Then the saree clad lady said the girl accompanying her is a good dancer from Bangalore and needs a break in Tamil movies.He said he would look into that!

Later, I came to know because of this man’s recommendation that the girl was selected for a five minute dancing role in a Tamil historical movie and paid compensation of ₹250. The same man introduced her to late MGR who despite others reluctance (for her slight right foot limping) roped her in as heroine in his movie “Nadodi Mannan” in 1958. Before this, she had already acted in one telugu and in a Kannada movie.

This girl in few years turned into a heart throb of millions as she acted in over two hundred movies in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada & Hindi movies. She won Padmasri & Padma Bhushan titles. Many of her MGR and Shivaji starrer movies in Tamil had ran to packed house and were box office hit.

Being born as fourth daughter, Her grand-dad was looking for someone to adopt when her dad put her in dance school to learn Bharata Natiyam.

When she took up to acting her mom put up a strict condition that under no circumstances, she should appear and act in swim suit nor should were sleeveless blouse!

She has one son & two daughters of which one is adopted. She would be celebrating her 79*th birth anniversary on January Seventh.
    Could you guess this actress’s Name?

*Ps. After posting this and before I could re edit & correct @Viswamitra had replied correcting the year of birth. It is 83.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

There is no need to guess and it is an actress who is known as Kannadathu Pinegili. She acted in Mahakavi Kalidasa (1955), a Kannada film followed by Panduranga Mahatyam (1957), a Telugu film. But her big break was in Nadodi Mannan (1958), a Tamil film. Even though date of birth appears right but the year appears to be 1938 which means she will be 83 years old on January 7th according to Wikipedia. He daughter Bhuvaneswari was her niece and she adopted her. This daughter passed away young.

The incident you have narrated happened before I was born but I found a lot of data from Wikipedia.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for feed back. thanks for the correction needed in year of birth of Abhinaya Saraswathi .