Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Feeding the mashed dhal rice to running baby or baba is a mighty task for young mothers but for grandmothers it is always a cake-walk.

Looking at different objects and birds in Nature - surrounding the precinct, she would sing in rhyme about those and that moment when the baby sitting on her waist would open its mouth in awe, she would transfer a morsel from her hand into the mouth.
    But those living in apartment can’t replicate this model.

Anusha2917 and SuiDhaaga like this.
  2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

The current mothers prefer to put the babies on high chair and let them feed on their own from the time weaning process starts at the completion of 6m. The process is called "baby led weaning ". Baby led weaning involves giving finger foods to babies and let them feed themselves. Finger food can be boiled veggies, rice balls, idli,dosa etc. What you have mentioned is called " Traditional weaning " where the babies are fed by hand or spoon some mashed food .. Both approaches are good and have their own advantages.
    I follow a combination of both and do what us called as responsive feeding. I take food near baby mouth and when she opens willingly I feed. Breakfast and dinner are finger foods where she eats by herself. However my baby is more inclined now to self feed and resists fed by me or her grandmothers. :blush:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thanks. Nice delectable comments.
    In this context a scene cross my mind. at my class mate’s residence in apartment (flat) - his spouse - to restrict running toddler - keep her standing in the 2’ stool kept reversed. The toddler would try to reach food kept close on another stool.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

One is for the mind and the other for the body.
    I believe sage Agastya teaches this to Rama to defeat enemies :) Sun being the all powerful, any form of worship helps us during the day. Sorry about the delayed response @Thyagarajan sir.

SuiDhaaga and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thanks for the response. Delay in reply understandable.
    Yes it is sage & preceptor Agasthya who had envisioned The Lord Rama turned effete in the battlefield and to enthuse the Lord with strength and vigour Teaches him to worship The Sun Lord with these .

SuiDhaaga and Laks09 like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Whenever the weather permits, I take a lit lamp outside either early in the morning or during sunset and chant Aditya Hridayam. My mom does this twice daily along with her other prayers. It’s supposed to bring peace of mind, something that all of us can benefit from!

SuiDhaaga, Thyagarajan and Mistt like this.
  7. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

There are subtitles. Press on the closed captions (cc) button on the video. May be this one is missing because it is his latest video. It is about what Venkateshwara swamy does with the offerings of the devotees, why in particular the Tirumala temple receives such huge donations and why Venkateshwara swamy is doing all this. Short summary is that he bifurcates them into 3 parts, first part is what is offered by honest means for no reason other than gratitude. That part goes to Kubera devata. 2nd portion is what was offered by honest means but for personal gains. That is diverted towards Anna daanam and other punyam generating activities that will be added to the donor's account. Third portion is what comes from negative sources, people who want to make Swamy accomplice in their crimes and donate to to him to cover their crimes. That amount apparently goes waste if I understood correctly. This is the one that gets misused by people ( a lot of illegal activities are going on in Tirumala). He makes such donors and their descendants pay for such sins in coming lives, they will be forced to atone for their sins along with their families, he will not stop them from committing sins, all their donations will go down the drain because they are accumulating papa karma or sins for next generations and also their coming lives . Also, the fear of donating to Tirumala is not just the will of the devotee, it is Him who draws them and makes them pay. Maybe in their past lives they did something to attain his grace and attention. Also, He did all this to benefit mankind, not Himself. All Hindus know during the 3 yugas, he took avataras to protect mankind. In Kaliyuga, he created this situation to shower his kindness on devotees. Probably because in Kaliyuga, money is the biggest motivation. At the end of Kaliyuga, all the amount of the first portion will be returned back to mankind.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  8. Thyagarajan

:hello:Heart warming summing up. I read this epitomised gist of the video dissertation thanks to OP.
    I READ IT AGAIN & AGAIN.
    But a question arose in my mind! If kaliyug with evils to grow begins would it not be nice to have Lord with us right now. The kalki avatar set to begin at the end of kali yuga and that end computed to occur after 1,00,000+ years!
    Thanks & Regards.

9. Thyagarajan

Chief beneficiary here of her IL association.
    God Bless.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  10. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Technically according to scriptures, Kaliyuga will last for 420000 years. We are only 5000 odd years into it. That means we haven't reached the abyss yet. If you are say the president of a country will you keep addressing all the tiny, sundry problems in the country? In the video itself it's mentioned, God just doesn't drop in one fine day, he needs to take birth, some set of humans need to do good for him to descend here, that's why. Already people are questioning him, imagine he drops in for no good reason. For us 420000 years looks like a lot, but in the time scale of the universe it maybe an hour at most. The lesson is that we should stick to doing good and for that also we need his grace along with our will.

Thyagarajan likes this.