1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help In Overcoming Daytime Sleepiness

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Needtobestrong, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I try to maintain a regular sleep routine like sleep time of 10 to 6 or 10.30 to 6.30 or 11 to 6.30 etc
    But i always experience some kind of severe drowsiness around 12 or 1 pm..post brunch or lunch. it usually settles in one or 2 hours.
    I had become habituated to an afternoon nap after leaving job and continuously staying indoors ever since pandemic started.
    But If i give in and take an afternoon nap, i find that after getting up from nap I have a dazed and disoriented feeling and sluggishness and unable to get deep restful sleep at night. Then next day i feel super tired and irritated as soon as i get up.
    If i dont take that nap i feel tired by 9 or 10 pm and go to sleep somewhat ok.
    any way i can overcome that noon time drowsiness so my night time sleep isnt affected?
    due to covid situation and fluctuating weather conditions i dont step out for walks outside..
    i dont like to rely on caffeine to stay active.
    I quit coffee completely.
    I drink a cup of tea , max 2 cups of tea by late afternoon.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I think even walk inside house or outside when weather is okay or standing and doing some chores like doing dishes/cleaning refrigerator for 20-30 min, should take way the sleepiness. If you do this for 2-3 days your body should adjust and get early good sleep at night.

Usually if you can sit and take 15 min nap in easy chair after food and get up for a walk also good. try for 15 -20 min naps it refreshes good.

Needtobestrong and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

It is totally okay to take a power nap and infact it energizes you.However,do not prolong it.
    Why don’t you do some other activity during that time? Some hobbies or keep some housework around that time.

Initially,it will be tough but your body and mind is how we train it.

4. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

I feel you. I experience the same drowsiness post lunch around 2 pm. I experience the same effects if I take a proper afternoon nap. So what I do is take a power nap of max 10 mins. After the power nap I feel energized, I dont get the same disoriented feeling and also it doesn't affect my night time sleep. Try it if it works for you.

Needtobestrong and anika987 like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the question.
    Medical world opines siesta is good and restorative and benefits are many. Google throws lot of links that proclaim afternoon nap is a must.

English people believed it since last but one century. The official in English office used to have a huge reclining chair in their huge chambers for relaxing and napping immediately after their lunch.

Your statement set at naught the medical experts opinion.

Personally as per my observation, day sleeping Immediately after lunch leads to large belly and tend to add on weight. Secondly in respect of those who are in the habit of drinking large quantitiy of water in one go after a meal tends to fell sleepy/dizzy and over a time get obese.

Any hobby that is close to one’s heart, practising that helps avoiding siesta.
    Regards.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

What are you eating for lunch? Eating more protein and less starch might help you feel less drowsy. But there is nothing wrong in catching a nap in the middle of the day. It’s a luxury many of us don’t have, so make the most of it!

7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies, for your replies.
    I eat traditional Indian veg food, and not particularly low carb or high protein etc. Juts regular food made for entire family.
    usually an hour after food is when the drowsiness kicks in.
    i try as much as possible to avoid naps or take a short one with alarm set to wake me up after 10 to 15 min but tough to get up. Im looking forward to getting some kind of full time job so that i can follow some kind of routine and not sleep at random times. Since covid started my household chores have increased as the case with all other ladies in India staying indoors. These chores i mean, the monotonous and repititive nature of household chores also make me sleepy.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Op

try to go to bed little early every night and try to meditate before sleeping and in lunch break if possible. Try to eat more salads like whole cucumber, carrots, green leaves like lettuce spinach, beetroot etc more and less of rice, chapati. Every day eat fruits for snack. Keep yourself hydrated and consistent time table for sleep routine.

Needtobestrong and Thyagarajan like this.