Anyone In Qa Job? User Testing?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by anika987, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Search in IL for "portnov" and read posts by JustAnotherMom.

From their website, looks like Portnov is now offering courses online.

Lavani's post above sums it all up.

You have to take the leap.

2. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

Trust me it is very easy to cruise through the website once you enter your email address and get started, you will get work which will guide you through what you need to do to get paid. It will mostly be checking through a website and telling them what could be done better or what was wrong. It can be an audio recording or written work. So far I did not have any coding needed.

So far being at home this was a great side income. Each test would be at least 10$ or more depending or the work and the employer will rate your responses and you will have a rating which will show. You would need a quiet space if you are doing audio recording while testing websites and talking at the same time .

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Rihana likes this.
  3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear, I’m not in QA testing field.
    Can you connect with one of them IL member, justanothermom she has posted earlier about testing as she worked in the field.
    I have a friend who worked as a tester for about 6 years and then quite for family reasons. She was saying that it dependant in the project, stress will be there if there are tight deadlines. Some projects have fixed working hours, some projects require the resource to work long hours and in weekends too. But seems like ladies prefer QA rather than development as the tension is less and technically not as demanding as developer job. If you have got such a good opportunity pls take it up...do not leave it. You will not regret. This training will help you in future in this company and future company jobs and wfh jobs. Study basic database related stuff, basic scripting languages etc and become familiar with manuals testing concepts and automation testing tools prior to training. You can manage it even if not in It field earlier. Just needs effort.

4. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

@Needtobestrong thanks for your inputs. It is hard to connect to old ILs as they do not check their messages. There has to be a more credible way to get into entry level QA- maybe reference by someone.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  5. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

@abc00 the above website that @madhat mentioned is easy to navigate around and start earning. I have done that for many years though haven't been active on it in the last few years. It lets you make some quick money. Though I am not sure if that is a transferable skill for a full time QA job or not . But I do not know much about the QA role either.
    However the institute @Rihana mentioned above is a good one. Few years back I did a lot of research into it after reading about it here from @JustAnotherMom and also came across many people who got placed from that place. It gives you a good foot into the door should you choose to explore it.

Rihana likes this.
  6. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Portnov charges $5k for QA course w/o job guarantee . Is this the normal pricing for QA?

7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

That’s a pretty big amount...
    I feel so as im in India and converting dollar to rupee makes it a big amount.
    I hope my comment isn’t irrelevant, but here in India trainings are much more cost effective.. a couple of years back some people known to me have done manual testing and automation testing courses.
    Manual testing alone cost about 5000 to 10000 INR and automation testing ( for each tool, i.e QTP or Selenium or loadrunner) cost about 15000 to 30000 INR...depending on duration and institute.
    Any possibility of contacting institutes in India itself and availing online training’s at subsidised fee? Anyway in current Covid situation all training institutes in Indian offer both online and offline training options and there is lot of flexibility in timings too.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I looked at their current charges for a few stand-alone courses and boot-camps. The average cost seems to be $29 - $32 per lecture hour. Based on my limited knowledge, for the topics being taught, this cost is on the cheaper side.

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  9. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

@abc00 I would say if you are unsure of whether or not its worth it first try utest / usertesting for few weeks/months and see how you feel about it.

Then decide upon enrolling into such a school.

I do not know what the prevalent rate is. However if its financially feasible for you I would suggest that you invest in enrolling yourself in similar kind of a local institute (atleast online within USA).

They wont offer job guarantee but access to the resources and networking opportunities with like minded people will help you find a job soon.

My experience with online trainings from desi consultancies was not good though cheaper than this . It was many years ago , things could be better now.

if I am not mistaken I remember you mentioned somewhere earlier that you have a finance background. You may also look at finance data analyst kind of jobs. You may find many local schools with better job track record and multiple open roles.