1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kids Height And Weight

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by KalpanaJay, Sep 14, 2021.

1. KalpanaJay

KalpanaJay Junior IL'ite

My daughter is 9yr old and she is of only 8yr old height and weight. We checked with the Dr, but they said that there is no problem. I'm worried of her growth though. Can someone suggest some good food and exercise for growing taller?

2. amulya2020

amulya2020 Silver IL'ite

I have faced similar situation for my kid. He usually eats normally contrary to other kids who does eat much but are up to mark when it comes to height and weight.

Luckily why I don’t know started giving boiled egg daily to my kid. Within few months I have seen a marked improvement in his weight and height to some extent. Including other protein food like paneer and dal could be of great help.

But I’m also very much interested if there any activities (excercises, sports etc) and food that helps in better growth of kids.

3. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Kids grow in diff paces.At 7-13 yrs dont worry too much as the puberty time is just starting and you will see lots of changes.Just give healthy food.Cycling,skipping etc helps.If child can drink milk with jaggery in the morning ,it helps with height gain.You can google about this combo

amulya2020 likes this.
  4. KalpanaJay

KalpanaJay Junior IL'ite

5. KalpanaJay

KalpanaJay Junior IL'ite

Thank you so much for your kind response. Yes I too think sometimes kids grow at different paces. My daughter has egg allergy and cannot eat egg. I can try milk with Jaggery. I read somewhere that too much of milk or diary products induce eary puberty in girls. Is that so?

amulya2020 likes this.
  6. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

For growing kids , calcium is essential.My som drinks 500 ml milk everyday ..thats 2 cups and boiled egg everyday.If the child is physically very active drinking 2 cups of milk is just fine

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Medium 53.5 for US girls of 9 yr old give +- 5.5 “.

Height determined first by genetic formula and then aided by consumption of food rich more in protein & in vitamins c and k during entire child hood.

My Bil & his wife are of height only 5’2” & 5’ respectively but her grown up son during his +2 was almost 5’8”. He was regularly given doze of INcremin- a syrup in amber colour that was rich in multivitamins plus eggs rich in protein.

The carton containing this syrup used to depict a zebra with its body erect.

Almonds, Beans, sweet potato, leafy vegetables, cows milk, drumstick soup, are few items comes to my mind which were regularly consumed at my BIL’s son during his child/boy hood.

Quinoas for amino acids, berries for omega3 too should be included in the diet.

A friend suggests thumb rule - fruits, nuts and vegetables obtained from plants or trees growing tall to be consumed regularly for nutrients & micro nutrients.

Medical science opines that maximum height for girl is reached just around her
    Puberty.
    Forgive my curiosity - you wrote when the girl was baby about almond oil for massage and stated “eczema” . I trust you got it cured. Could you please write the efforts you made and what was found to be efficacious?

With best wishes
    T

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Anusha2917 likes this.
  8. KalpanaJay

KalpanaJay Junior IL'ite

Thank you for your detailed response. I pretty much give the food items you suggested except egg as she has egg allergy. I used to give milk, now stopped as someone said it will induce early puberty. Will give atleast one cup every day.

Regarding eczema, "Aveeno Eczema Therapy" cream really helped. Almond oil does not cure eczema, but gives glow to the skin. Not just for kids, but even adults. Skin becomes smooth and soft. Hope it helps