1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rayon & Wrinkles

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by shravs3, May 21, 2021.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

I’m quite annoyed with Rayon fabric as it gets wrinkled easily especially after wash. I struggle so much to remove the wrinkles but it’s really difficult.

How do you manage to remove the wrinkles easily out of rayon fabric?
    I have some clothes made out of this and haven’t used in a while because of the wrinkles.
    I seriously miss the ironwala back in India :rolleye:

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Google suggestion

Fill a spray bottle with cold water and a capful of liquid fabric softener. Hang the wrinkled clothing up and mist. The wrinkles will usually smooth out on their own, but you can smooth them with your hands to speed up the process — just don't tug or you'll stretch out your clothes.14-Apr-2021

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I used to buy them long ago. Now I simply put back even if the label says 30 or 40% rayon.

No matter how much I follow the instructions for washing and ironing, the top used to take a funny shape, extending like an awkward shaped roti as the iron moved over it.

On the topic, I find of late the names of materials on labels are so hard to understand. And each one now has the label in a different part of the dress/top/pant. And to accommodate many languages they print it in such small font. And with this whole Covid thing, laundry is handled by so many people. Invariably, they end up putting all my stuff in the dryer!!

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

This is not a healthy thing to do. Cationic Surfactants are the chemicals in fabric softeners that de-wrinkle clothes in the drier or in schemes as you have suggested. Creating an aerosol of that stuff [put in bottle and spray at a hanging blouse, or kurthi] would end up creating a mist of irritant in the room. Bad for lungs, as well as the one who has to wear that cloth on herself.

Such aerosol use of chemical aides in the house should be avoided in the home of young children.

Rayon [partially acetated cotton] is designed to take hot steamy irons to remove the wrinkles. If the hung blouse/kurthi can be steamed with just plain old steam, that would be just fine. There are steamers one could buy and use, if one has to wear rayon without wrinkles. Or use the steamer we get for treating colds, and stuffed up nose. IMO, it is a lot easier to use a steam-iron. A perfect job for a loving husband.

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes I got so irritated one day that finally decided that I will never buy any rayon material..

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

this is nature of rayon. Sadly it is most used fabric in summer tops and even indian myntra types kurtas because of its drapey nature and manufacturing process and cost.
    I do not prefer to use any sprays as it takes life away. But one way is hang the garment right out of dryer when it is still hot. Some rayons iron out easily just like they get crinkled easily, unlike cotton.
    And using water drops/spray while ironing also helps

shravs3 likes this.