1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Deal With "status" Oriented People?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Sep 13, 2021.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have relatives who are extremely status and money oriented.
    They will talk to you in the most sweetest way if you are rich, high profile job and wear brands.
    I have a relative who will completely disregard anyone who do not appear rich in her eyes.
    For these things,I had to keep a distance.

I do know they will start to shower love on me if am all of the above things which is nothing but fake love.On and off I feel pangs of irritation but what to do..need to accept am surrounded by them which I did.

It is sad that people do exist like these in the society.

I also had an acquaintance who will only talk about brands and good looks.

Anyways, Just wondering if you guys have or had any experience dealing with people like the above.

Practicing mental detachment ,accepting them for who they are is helping me quite a bit.with outsiders it is much easier but with family when there is a "history",it becomes quite tough..especially for someone like me who values relations a lot..

Just share your experiences and how you deal.It could be of any nature,sad,funny etc:)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    nandinimithun and chanchitra like this.

2. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

Here is a funny one.. I deal with them just the way I deal with people who have COVID or suspect to have exposed themselves to the virus recently. 1. Avoid contact at all costs. 2. If you cannot avoid meeting them , then mask up and take precautions to not get infected. 3. Finally pray for them to get well soon.

lakshmi888, anika987 and chanchitra like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

good one!:)

nandinimithun likes this.
  4. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

I don't like spending huge amounts of money on brands.
    The zipper in my branded handbags have come out in 3 months.
    Wheras a 20$ handbag has lasted for years.

anika987 and nandinimithun like this.
  5. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

I havent been a brand conscious person and i haven't judged anyone based on this....

However i have been on the other side, when i was judged and passed on some unwanted comments.... I habe realized one thing that, if someone says something about me or forms a opinion about me, its upto them...
    I AM ME and i still dont know myself completely and still searching....

Sometimes i feel when things and people are temporary and not long lasting, why do we unnecessarily do or say things, which is not sweet to the ears and heart.

Why do we do things, that we do?

Love and hugs
    Nandu

anika987 and chanchitra like this.
  6. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

On that note probably I am the type who does the opposite..Wonder why people spend tonnes on branded bags or shoes...while no matter how much money I have I will look for the price tag before I even decide if I like that stuff or not..

However answering to the question..yes have come across people who judge people based on the status...I have been judged just because

1. I dont goto branded parlours (yes I goto the neighbouring parlour because she does my eye brows much better than anyone)...
    2. I have a frizzy hair and don't get expensive keratin treatment like my friends in society( not that I roam around un- groomed)
    3. I dint host a lavish bday party for my daughter and spend 5000's on baloon decoration..while me and Hubby decorated the place with balloons which we got from amazon
    the list is big and huge...but I remain unshaken :p

Judge me and I care a damn :p

anika987, chanchitra and radv like this.
  7. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

brahan

“On that note probably I am the type who does the opposite..Wonder why people spend tonnes on branded bags or shoes...while no matter how much money I have I will look for the price tag before I even decide if I like that stuff or not”

your above words made me smile as they echo my thoughts as well.
    A watch will tell the same time whether branded or not.

anika987 and nandinimithun like this.
  8. lakshmi888

lakshmi888 Silver IL'ite

OP, the people or acquaintances or relatives who flaunt always can flaunt in front of insecure person...my most respected relative is the one who is not rich but the way she talks and carries herself and shuts down any flaunting comment, she has everyone's respect !

people who judge based on brands and money are emotionally unbalanced with very low self esteem so they look for external validations like wearing branded stuff to GAIN respect in others eyes..as they don't respect themselves much....if you tell them this, they will shut down their ranting to preserve self respect .

I have been in west for a very long time, earn my own money from many years and do not care about brands....my friends are also like me, in fact they make much more money than me but still very simple without care for brands and similar minded people...

if I come across such petty minded person, I feel sorry for the validation they are looking on the outside but I just dont entertain them or if they try to be in my friends circle or a relative, I don't respond to them or ignore them so that they get the hint as I don't want such petty person in my life...

if they try to show off, I and my friends comments that brands do not make a person superior or inferior,,its the moral character and thats enough to shut them down and move to some other insecure person who would entertain their ranting.

OP, why do you interact with these petty and small minded people...these petty and small minded people always look for insecure person to flaunt

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    NOW and anika987 like this.
  9. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

I ignore them for my own sanity. Cant engage and reciprocate their BS. May be OP do you enjoy being in that rich pedestal by that so called relative :D Next time dont carry any brand on you and update us how it went :grinning-smiley-048:

anika987 likes this.
  10. preethignan

preethignan Silver IL'ite

One of the friends ( now we no longer talk thank God) she stopped talking to me because I didn't buy a house in the community which we live and I told her I am happy staying in a rented flat rather pay huge EMI. So funny she stopped talking to me thinking I am not a match for her because she bought a house. I still laugh thinking of her behaviour. My 13 year old daughter is more mature than her.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    anika987 likes this.