1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gone With The Wind

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Sep 11, 2021.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

In my earlier snippet on weighty issues ,I had expressed my apprehension of the impact of forthcoming festivals on my girth and weight. I had resolved myself not to partake in the culinary delights, specially offered to my good friend Lord Ganesha. Afterall, I had enjoyed his prasadam for 84 years and it is time to renunciate the excitement to the taste buds.
    I did my usual pooja and while nearing completion, scent of cashew nuts being roasted in ghee greeted my nostrils. With my overestimated determination, I continued with my pooja only to be attacked again by the smell of coconut oil's rendezvous with Avial and disturbing my concentration on prayer. The final nail was struck by the smell of crispy vadas getting fried. Strictly between you and me medhuvada is the weakest link in my armour. I remember that when my diabetologist included vada in the list of forbidden fruits I hinted indirectly that I planned to change my diabetologist closer home. He got the cue and said that he was joking and that a couple vadas once in a way will not do any harm but in fact influence the will to live.He was also a vada enthusiast and we totally agreed that life is not worth living without vadas.
    After the ganesh pooja was completed I went to my room and came back. There,my plate was ,neatly stacked with varieties of Kozhukattai,lemon rice,pachadi,appam,avial,sweet salad,a cup of payasam arranged like Navarathri Golu and the leader of the show was the crispy medhu vadas given the pride of place in the plate. My son in law who had started eating cried " out of the world" followed by "outstanding" by my grand daughter clapping her hands. What more encouragement you require to forget your vows and determination. However pretenses had to be kept. I played the victim card to the combined onslaught of the family but every one went along with my show, may be out of consideration or pity. I finally drowned the scrumptious meal with Semiya payasam with the roasted cashewnuts tantalisingly floating in the payasam.
    Vettalai paakku is the fitting finale normally followed the gastronomic delights but the shaking teeth and visit to a dentist during Corona times forbade such an adventure.
    I looked at the pillaiyar guiltily but to my surprise , he gave me an understanding smile. Now you understand why I call him my friend. However my image of being a strong willed person has gone with the wind.
    PS. Normally seven Archangels are mentioned in the Bible.I have included Vaidehi my daughter as the eighth one being the architect of the culinary wonders,to which I have made you all a party.

Amica and Viswamitra like this.

2. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear sir,.

Good one. I am a diabetic and stopped sweets. But when festival arrives and you have to do the cooking, I pray saying "lead me not into temptation". But we are humans afterall, and what is life without a little sweet and a three course lunch.

Regards
    Uma

3. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

The pitch was green, the ball was coming fast, it was swinging in the air; not only that there was seam movement off the pitch. So, you were supposed to leave the balls out side off stamp, but like Virat Kohli, you were fishing, and you got out. Next time, be careful!

4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Don't worry.Iam a diabetic plus one artery completely blocked and beyond repair. Therefore before helping myself to the culinary delights, I turn philosophical and sing " ponal pogattum poda.ponal pogattum poda, indha vazhkaiyil nilayay vazhndhavar yarada".Take it easy and enjoy, followed by following the tricks of the trade ,like adjusting insulin doses .Every thing within limits makes life spicy and i your happy state of mind has a decisive influence on your health.
    Regards
    SLN

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

You are right. After every adventure I make up mind to be careful. There is a theory which says that after all the man istin his mid eighties and let him enjoy whatever he wants. A large hearted individual indeed.
    SLN

umaakumar likes this.