1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dd And Mil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by soulful, Sep 8, 2021.

1. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Hello All, I am here again looking for advice.

This time in relation to my DD. She is just shy of turning 2 (couple months).
    My mil has been influencing her so much that she refuses to come to me. She needs me only for the night and as soon as day light comes up, she wants only mil and her father (My H). I had no proof so i just kept telling myself it is my fear and imagination. But turns out mil does say things to DD in private.

yesterday, i was in the other room away from their sight but pretty close to mil. MY dd was with her.

I hear mil whisper to DD 'say Paati, Paati, Paati'. Now you might say what's wrong with that? My question to you is, why would she whisper if she has nothing to hide in her mind. She was talking normally until then and suddenly turned into a whisper. I have also seen that she keeps saying appa where it is not necessary, (i even posted a thread on it).

I made peace with her spewing venom between me and H. How do i take this in my stride? It is my child, that we are talking about.

2. Ria84

Ria84 Bronze IL'ite

Spend more time with her, take her out everyday for few hours so it's only you and her ( Mother daughter bonding time). Pamper her with lots of kisses and hugs and tell her how much you love her. Be there for her needs. Do it consistently and she will want to be with you more.

But not to worry, as she grows old she will know how important a mother is in her life and will love you unconditionally.

soulful likes this.
  3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Thankyou! I know what you say is absolutely correct.It is really disheartening to see such things. I get so upset and cry in private. Sometimes I end up yelling at my child.

4. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Yelling at ur child will only farther her away from you.
    Understand this that babies and kids are innocent lil souls. They dont understand adult dramas, lies, mind games!
    They go towards "love"...whoever it comes from!
    Please channelise ur hatred for your MIL into some other form like meditation, songs, dance,art...anything that distracts you from her thoughts and that helps u be happy.
    Once you find your own mental peace and find the happiness inside you... Then only you can gv unconditional love to your child.
    I hope you got it.

soulful likes this.
  5. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

You need to spend more time with your kid. Put everything else as second priority.The more you spend with her, she will understand.
    These are passing phases which some of us have gone through. It is definitely painful to go through this. But things will change based on how much you are able to spend with your kid. Everything else can wait. Its ok if your house looks messy, cook simple lunch, dinner.

soulful likes this.
  6. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Sailing in the same boat,my dd als shy of 2mons to two yrs and she s a happy child which plays on her own by roaming all over the home where I wil finish my works,onl concern is feeding her which s more stressful to both of us,and due to house works and frustration with the family members I used to show that on her,bcoz always she says no to food,and sometimes she cries alot,I wil Console her immediately and we wil b k ,later on my mil started to recall wat happened between us and says your mother did this to u ,ur mother shouts on u!!u r mom Kick u,and my baby s very sharp and got those words in her mind and started hating me, before she always sticks to me and now she don't want me bcoz the reason s I shouted and kicked her,and she even wants to slp wth her onl ,I used to cry alot ,but l started working on to spend more tim on her by playing with her and allows her to go where ever she wants but wil b back of her more Times,now she was cming to me again,hope the phase wil go and your baby wil be bk to you soon,
    Try to make her laugh whn she s wth u and whn she s wth ur in-law try to be dre and ask your baby wat she was doing and would she like to join wth u too ,and story telling is one of the best thing at this age and comfort her whn she s wth u,don't b of presence for long hrs frm her ,if she likes to b dre dn u als spend some time dre and ask her would she likes to play outdoors

soulful likes this.
  7. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

This is what I am seeing. More I yell, more she is getting farther from me. I really need to get a grip over my emotions or she will win. It is sad she’s getting a child involved in politics

agree! I do spend a lot of time on chores. I need to reorganize my schedule.

did you go through this experience? How did you overcome? How long did it take your child to understand the truth?
    I try to spend time and just when she starts getting close to me my mil springs some other tactic. It is easy for her because she has all the time in the world and no pressures and stress.

I will try! It is ridiculous that your mil reminds and instigates a young child. What does she get by doing this?

Thankyou

8. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

OP I feel your MIL is feeling insecure about her place in your home. Pity she has to take support of a little child. IMO, when you hear her next time whispering Paati Paati, just ask her why is she whispering. She is your DD Paati, so no need to whisper it to her.

9. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

The advantage that i had was they would visit often but never stayed with us at a time for more than two days. For sometime, i could not do anything other than tolerating it. I started spending more time with kid. Play with her, take her to the park etc. I looked for the trigger points for my anger. I would not be angry when the grandparents were around. But i would insist on whatever practice we have done for her. Like sitting at one place and giving her food. No mobile. This i would practice. Lot of time we would order food from outside so that i could spend that time with kid. I would teach new games. She would accompny me to the kitchen...so i would give her the kitchen utensils. She would stay in the kitchen and play with the vessels,or dough. She got used to it so much that sometimes, all my kitchen utensils would be in the hall.

soulful likes this.
  10. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

i wish I could agree with you. I have been married 13 years and I have still not found my place in this family.