1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Apply For Indian Tourist E- Visa While Having Oci?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If a person has US citizenship, did the renunciation/surrender passport thing to get OCI around 15 years ago, not sure about the status or location of that OCI card/ booklet now, what is the easiest way to visit India once for 2-3 weeks?

Can they apply for the Tourist eVisa that is valid for 30 days? India Visa Online | India e-Visa (Tourist) | iVisa

Assuming there are no Covid related restrictions, do they only need to apply for a Tourist eVisa?

In particular, do they have to "surrender" or "opt out" of the OCI to be eligible for the Tourist eVisa?

This is for future travel (hopefully after Covid), not immediate travel.

I am trying to see if it is possible to travel to India by just getting a tourist eVisa whenever needed and ignoring the OCI and its ever-changing regulations.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Google suggests that this is possible but better to verify from the horses mouth.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks MalStrom. Yes, Google does not show any problems for OCI holders applying for tourist eVisa.

About confirming it officially, I don't have the energy for that research right now : ) and maybe it's not even possible to confirm without actually applying for a tourist visa, getting it, landing at an Indian airport and being allowed to exit it on foot to outside. : ) And most likely even if someone has done it, my being allowed to do so will depend on the babu sitting at immigration that day.

Here's an article about the OCI nightmare: Government Bureaucracies are Dens of Incompetent Retards

MalStrom and Mistt like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

LOL, that is so true! I never got around to doing OCI and since I don’t go to India often I just get the e-Visa. On my last visit I landed at Bangalore instead of usually going to my parents place in Chennai as we were all gathering at my brother’s house for Diwali. I got a stern speech from the gentleman at the immigration desk telling me that I should get OCI next time and not stand in the foreigners queue.